The Student Room Group

Any Mature students over 40?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ana72
I am 43, and looking to start a course in accounting .. Bit afraid though.. I think this country doesn't give too many opportunities to really mature people wanting to study, as they call you mature " over 21" ...

Mature students are assessed alongside school leavers. They may have to do additional study to prove current academic ability - 20+ year old school qualifications may not accurately reflect your current talents. However, professional experience may be taken into account, which school leavers won't have. You also get the same access to Student Finance.

I started my undergrad aged 44, my Masters at 47 and my PhD at 48. I never felt that I'd been discouraged or left with fewer opportunities than students of a more traditional age. Don't get hung up on the "mature" label - the only person likely to be thinking it's a big deal, is you.
Original post by Skeeter
Anyone starting fulltime study this year, or currently in Uni? Looking forward to it? Worried?

I am 45, I started my course September 2015. If you treat the other students as peers and talk to them on an equal basis you will soon makes friends. I am the oldest on my course, and I am luck that the other students have accepted me. You get out what you are willing to put in. Many did ask why I was at university, I told them career change and my youngest child was starting full time education.
Reply 42
I have just applied through UCAS to study History/Archaology. I have studied before (Dip HE Pre Reg Nursing) so fingers crossed for an offer.
Reply 43
Original post by Skeeter
Anyone starting fulltime study this year, or currently in Uni? Looking forward to it? Worried?

I've just applied to do a masters in Social Work. Slightly nervous as I'll be 50 when the course starts and this will be a career change, but I really enjoyed my undergraduate studies and was a mature student then (albeit a youngish 27!)
I am applying to dentistry this year I am 32

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending