The Student Room Group

Very first driving lesson tomorrow :) Any advice?

Hi everyone I have my very first driving lesson tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice that might make it go more smoothly? Like do I need to know anything before hand?
And I know this is a strange question... but I've heard that it matters what shoes your wear, does it? I am thinking of wearing either my dolly shoes (with a strap across so they won't slip off) or converse. Which one do you think would be better?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Wear comfortable shoes and relax. I don't think there's anything I could really tell you, just listen to what your driving instructor tells you and have fun. Good luck.
Yeah converse would be good, I used to always wear plimsolls. Don't be nervous, you won't be doing that much driving and your instructor will take you through everything. Ask questions is my advice. Don't pretend to understand something if you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try not to crash?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by bobbieare
Wear comfortable shoes and relax. I don't think there's anything I could really tell you, just listen to what your driving instructor tells you and have fun. Good luck.

Original post by Boogaloo_Shrimp
Yeah converse would be good, I used to always wear plimsolls. Don't be nervous, you won't be doing that much driving and your instructor will take you through everything. Ask questions is my advice. Don't pretend to understand something if you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both for your advice!
Just one more question how long did it take for you to prepare for, and pass your theory test and how many lessons did you have before passing your practical?
Thanks again :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
stay calm, the driving instructor is there to teach and has taught possibly hundreds before you, your not the first new driver and wont be the last,

That being said you are allowed to make mistakes, as you cant currently drive and are learning afterall

basically just be aware than he/she isnt going to expect you to jus know how to drive perfectly off the bat, so try and not worry about it, it will feel strange and difficult at first but in time it comes as second nature.

Also in my experience the first lesson is usually pretty light and the driving instructor offers alot of assistance (they usually have a second set of peddles so they can aid you.

good luck!
Original post by beccamxx
Thank you both for your advice!
Just one more question how long did it take for you to prepare for, and pass your theory test and how many lessons did you have before passing your practical?
Thanks again :smile:

I started lessons on the first of December and took my test end of march with about two 2 hour lessons a week. I passed my theory test first time in January with about a weeks worth of revision from an app on my phone. I passed my test first time at the end of march but was meant to take it february; it got pushed back cause of snow. I had way more lessons than I needed but I enjoyed them and wanted to make sure I was really confident!
Reply 7
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Try not to crash?

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn someone got there before me! No have fun.
Have you had it?

I had my first driving lesson yesterday. I had two hours so I could actually get something done in that time. I was picked up and my instructor drove to a really quite a wide road a couple of miles away. On the way he was checking I knew stuff like the order of traffic lights and showing me what to do during a gear change. We got to the road and he stopped and turned the car round. He then got me to drive back to the other end of the road and do a u-turn (the road is so wide you can jsut do a u-turn without using reverse). I did this a couple of times and practiced parking up to the kerb, as close and straight as possible. He then went over what to do at junctions eg changing down gears, mirrors, indicators, crawling forward using the clutch when it's a closed junction. I then drove round the village and surrounding countryside and got up to 35mph !

My first gear change was aweful (but I didn't stall) after that they were quite good although I did stall occaisionally. What i kept forgetting to do was put the clutch down quite hard but then put the brakes down slowly. In a bit of a panic I sometimes forgot about the clutch and just put the brakes on and braked quite fast and stalled :frown: And then other times I was putting the clutch and brake down together, and at the same speed ! He said it was nowhere near the worst first lesson he's taught and that I did pick it up quickly and that I'd be good at emergency stops ! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
If your driving instructor asks you for some "special favours", then just do them. Otherwise they'll never let you take your test. Don't tell anyone either, I learned that the hard way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relax, communicate, pay attention and have fun.

Especially the fun bit.
Reply 11
Crash the car = instant pass ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Understand the clutch and it will make it easier. Basically, the wheels are on a shaft which spins freely. You could lift the car up and spin the wheels. When the clutch is up (not pressed) the engine is connected to this shaft, which turns the wheels. When you push the clutch, the engine is disconnected from that shaft, so the wheels spin freely.

So when you push down the clutch, you are disconnecting the engine. When you lift the clutch, you are 'reconnecting' the engine. If you have the engine connected and you lift your foot from the gas, the engine will slow the car down. If you have the clutch down (engine disconnected) then the car will simply roll and roll until it stops (or you stop it). That's coasting (which is bad in the test)
special favours? did your instructor touch you....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending