The Student Room Group

Edistance learning or back to college?

Hi everyone,

I am 23 and graduated uni in 2011 with a 2:1 in Psychology. I didn't study Biology at A Levels and now I am really regretting it. I was thinking about doing fasttrack A Level in Biology with Edistance Learning. Have any of you got an A Level from this instead of from a college/sixth form? I was wondering if it is less valued than an A Level from a college/sixth form. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by blondyx
Hi everyone,

I am 23 and graduated uni in 2011 with a 2:1 in Psychology. I didn't study Biology at A Levels and now I am really regretting it. I was thinking about doing fasttrack A Level in Biology with Edistance Learning. Have any of you got an A Level from this instead of from a college/sixth form? I was wondering if it is less valued than an A Level from a college/sixth form. Thanks

It will be the same specification as used by a school and so just as valid - you will have to find an exam centre (any secondary school or college) that will allow you to take the exams as a private candidate. However, the coursework/practical units are hard to complete if you are distance learning - don't sign up until you are confident they will be achievable.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
It will be the same specification as used by a school and so just as valid - you will have to find an exam centre (any secondary school or college) that will allow you to take the exams as a private candidate. However, the coursework/practical units are hard to complete if you are distance learning - don't sign up until you are confident they will be achievable.

Ok thank you. Do you know if it is difficult to find a place that will let me be a private candidate?
Reply 3
Original post by blondyx
Ok thank you. Do you know if it is difficult to find a place that will let me be a private candidate?

It varies in different parts of the country so it is hard to say but it is significantly harder to find somewhere that will accept you for the practical/coursework units than the standard exams. All the exam boards have advice on their websites for private candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest