The Student Room Group

Graduation dress ideas

Hey! I'm graduating in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has any ideas of what type of dress to go for?

What looks good with the gown and how much of it do you actually see? Would love any suggestions! Thankss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by getaway
Hey! I'm graduating in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has any ideas of what type of dress to go for?

What looks good with the gown and how much of it do you actually see? Would love any suggestions! Thankss

Something dark or at least not bright

Shorter than the gown
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Something dark or at least not bright

Shorter than the gown

I was originally thinking of cream lol. Would you say black would blend with the gown too much?

Also, yes I wanted something shorter than the gown!
Reply 3
If you have a hood make sure whatever you wear has buttons/something to fasten the hood on to!
Needs to have a certain amount of weight to it if you have a hood, because otherwise you can spend the whole time being throttled
Reply 5
Original post by getaway
I was originally thinking of cream lol. Would you say black would blend with the gown too much?

Also, yes I wanted something shorter than the gown!

Cream may work

Just not a bright colour

What colour is your hood ... mine was a bright pink so bright colours had to be avoided

Oh, yes, the button to fasten the hood to, I forgot that
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
Cream may work

Just not a bright colour

What colour is your hood ... mine was a bright pink so bright colours had to be avoided

Oh, yes, the button to fasten the hood to, I forgot that

It's pink too I think. I didn't even think about the buttons - to be honest I have no idea how the gown works.

Are heels to go with the dress ok? I want to look smart but no overdressed. I can't find any example ideas online lol.
Reply 7
I was thinking of either cream, grey or black.
Reply 8
Original post by OnlyMe!
I was thinking of either cream, grey or black.

Do you have any actual dresses in mind yet? I don't know what shops to look at
Reply 9
Original post by getaway

Are heels to go with the dress ok? I want to look smart but no overdressed. I can't find any example ideas online lol.

My parents were taking me to a "nice" restaurant ... I dressed suitably for that

I did not wear too high heels ... old floors and creaky steps in my graduation hall
Reply 10
I am graduating on Wednesday! *high five* Apparently you need to wear something with buttons of a brooch for the hood to fasten to. On the website I hired my gown from, they recommend a white or plain blouse. I bought a black blouse because I just think white looks a bit officey. Also shoes-wise, I was just going to wear black pumps but in pictures everyone seems to be wearing heels.. :s-smilie: I dunno, is heels the way to go?
Reply 11
Original post by LinzyLoo
I am graduating on Wednesday! *high five* Apparently you need to wear something with buttons of a brooch for the hood to fasten to. On the website I hired my gown from, they recommend a white or plain blouse. I bought a black blouse because I just think white looks a bit officey. Also shoes-wise, I was just going to wear black pumps but in pictures everyone seems to be wearing heels.. :s-smilie: I dunno, is heels the way to go?

Yay! Yes i was looking at pictures from my friends graduation last week - they all seem to be wearing black - i don't know if thats a bit boring lol. Yep i agree with white looking officey. I wanted to wear heels only because I look better in them - just not something really high in case I end up falling down the stage haha.
Have you found any dresses yet? And buttons are a definite must? - I'm glad I posted this thread to find that out lol.
Reply 13
Original post by getaway
Yay! Yes i was looking at pictures from my friends graduation last week - they all seem to be wearing black - i don't know if thats a bit boring lol. Yep i agree with white looking officey. I wanted to wear heels only because I look better in them - just not something really high in case I end up falling down the stage haha.
Have you found any dresses yet? And buttons are a definite must? - I'm glad I posted this thread to find that out lol.

Yeah when I was looking through other people's pictures everyone seemed to be wearing either black or white - it is pretty boring, but then you hardly see what you're wearing underneath anyway because the gown is so big and long, it covers up most of you anyway. I bought a really nice black dress for a poster presentation thing at the end of the semester which I was originally going to wear, before I found out about the buttons thing, although it is extremely tight! And it has no buttons. I don't want to be pulling at the hood to keep it in place and for it to be slipping and annoying me all day so I don't know what to do now. I might look into how the gown/hood fits and see if a brooch would be just as good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14

I like it! It doesn't have any buttons though :/
Reply 15
I graduate next Wednesday and also having a 'mare about what to wear! :confused: :frown:

What are peoples thoughts on this skirt? http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2531596?id=S2531596&color=C101
And what kind of top do you think would go well with it?

I also tried this on and thought it may be a possibility? http://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2528563?id=S2528563&color=C270
I wore a black knee length dress from ASOS with a red blazer (red was the school colour) and black high heel shoes with dark silver glitter on the heel and sole and gray patterned tights

to be honest I was quite shocked by how undressed up some people seemed in just a shirt and with bright pink hair etc...

ASOS do tonnes of great dresses

http://www.asos.com/Women/Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=8799&via=top#state=Rf-200%3D4&parentID=Rf-200&pge=0&pgeSize=36&sort=-1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by getaway
Do you have any actual dresses in mind yet? I don't know what shops to look at

I thought I would end up having to buy an overpriced dress that I would probably never wear again. But no, I actually surprised myself!

I usually dislike AX Paris (the name just screams trash, sorry!), but I found this on their website for £25! I have bought it in black. (Zoom to see detail). It looks more elegant in real life too.

I will be wearing it with plain 3 inch court heels.

I hope that helps!
Original post by getaway
I like it! It doesn't have any buttons though :/

Apparently not having a button hole isn't the end of the world, just take a safety pin with you for the hood.

I'm struggling to find a dress myself, though. I've decided I'm definitely wearing black flats because the last thing I want is to fall over/trip when I'm walking on the stage (which is pretty likely for me!) :frown:

Original post by OnlyMe!
I thought I would end up having to buy an overpriced dress that I would probably never wear again. But no, I actually surprised myself!

I usually dislike AX Paris (the name just screams trash, sorry!), but I found this on their website for £25! I have bought it in black. (Zoom to see detail). It looks more elegant in real life too.

I will be wearing it with plain 3 inch court heels.

I hope that helps!

Ooo, I actually really like that dress!
Reply 19
What does everyone think of wearing a work dress? Say something like this

http://www.warehouse.co.uk/seam-detail-work-wear-dress/work-dresses/warehouse/fcp-product/4370004872

Or is that weird? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending