The Student Room Group

Difference between PhD and Doctorate?

Can anyone explain what is the difference between PhD and Doctorate? What jobs do both lead to in the field of Psychology. I have just completed BSc Psychology and want to go on to do a masters then PhD.. (or doctorate) I wish to do the masters in Psychology in the Manchester/Leeds area not too far from home. However the course I have been accepted on for Psychology Masters at Manchester Metropolitan seems weak as it says this is for those who want their psychology degree to be approved by the BPS and the one I have is already approved. The second course I was accepted on is around pain research and is master of research as opposed to taught like in Manchester? Which route would be the best for me? I prefer to work from home on one research project rather than attend exams and lectures throughout the year, however that will be in pain research.... Please advise me I'm feeling so confused by all these prospects..But the ultimate aim is to be a clinical psychologists,,, but in the case I marry /move abroad and couldn't finish Phd/doctorate which is why I chose to do one year masters instead of jumping straight to Phd (which you also need experience one year for) as I understand
Please help!
Out of those two, I would definitely say that the research one is better. However, you will have to see exactly what the timetable is like as to what you'll do during the year. You need paid work experience for the clinical psychology doctorate.
Firstly, a PhD is a type of doctorate. So all PhDs are doctorates, but not all doctorates are PhDs, if that makes sense? If you want to go into Clinical Psychology, you will ultimately end up doing a Clinical Doctorate...A ClinPsD (or D. Clin. Psy). In terms of your Masters, are they the only two options available to you at this time? The taught one sounds as if it's a conversion course, and therefore wouldn't really be of any benefit to you if your course already offers the GBR/GBC. Equally, doing the research masters if it's not something that you are completely interested in would be just as bad. As the person above said, you need paid work experience for clinical psychology...a lot of it. Maybe look into different masters? There are ones that look at clinical research, which might be better?
I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by the_apprentice
I don't know what to do :frown:

Which course at Man Met are you looking at? And does it say it counts towards Chartered membership of the BPS?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending