The Student Room Group

Driving Lessons, Manual or Automatic

Hey guys

I was taking some driving lessons in a manual car, I was REALLY struggling to get the hang of it, I've taken over 20+ lessons and I am still lost, I can't get the hang of it.

i know that driving a manual car is much better because it has some advantages like, your license allows u to drive an automatic car and manual cards are also cheaper and easily repaired If broken. I'm 22 years old and I'd really like to start driving before my 23rd Birthday in February 2014. I'm looking to get Peaugeot 207, the small convertible. I just need help to decide so I can stop wasting money and probably book some automaticlessons
Does anyone here drive an automatic car?? If so:

- What do you enjoy about it
- Was your car expensive?
Reply 1
No, continue with manual. If you get an auto license you'll just regret it for years and end up spending more money to get a manual license in the future. Automatic cars are not cheap.
I agree, manual also means you have to pay more attention to the road, which is a good thing. Most people I know opt for automatic licenses though, since they claim most new cars now come automatic.
Reply 3
The only person I know who *only* has an automatic license is my aunt and she's a *terrible* driver! :P

Automatics are still more expensive and generally have worse performance than an equivalent manual so they're generally best left to bigger, more powerful cars. Given that and the fact that the only time it really comes in handy is commuting in heavy traffic, I've only really seen them driven by people middle-aged or older.

My advice would be to persevere with learning on a manual: it's mostly just down to perfecting the muscle memory and once you do you'll wonder what all the difficulty was :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I would stick with manual, automatic cars are not cheap and are very expensive to fix. If you actually look at peoples reasons for failing their test it is very rarely to do with how well they can physically drive the car. Learning in an automatic isn't going to make you more confident, better at manoeuvres or better observation/judgement-the hard bits of driving. Learning to use the gear stick/clutch is like learning to walk, you'll never forget it, it just becomes second nature, you don't even think about it when you're driving.
Reply 5
only had my first lesson so what do I know but learn on the manual if you can, then buy an auto if you want best way to do it
Reply 6
Hello,
Im starting to drive now and am not sure what is the best way to get insured for learning on the family car is, do i need to be a named driver on the policy or get a learner or temporary insurance so i can get some practice in.
Thanks
On a side note... you're looking to get a 207 convertible as a new young driver - have you got an insurance quote for it out of interest? Most likely gonna cost as much to insure the car for the first year as it is to buy it.
Original post by Denisha
Hey guys

I was taking some driving lessons in a manual car, I was REALLY struggling to get the hang of it, I've taken over 20+ lessons and I am still lost, I can't get the hang of it.

i know that driving a manual car is much better because it has some advantages like, your license allows u to drive an automatic car and manual cards are also cheaper and easily repaired If broken. I'm 22 years old and I'd really like to start driving before my 23rd Birthday in February 2014. I'm looking to get Peaugeot 207, the small convertible. I just need help to decide so I can stop wasting money and probably book some automaticlessons
Does anyone here drive an automatic car?? If so:

- What do you enjoy about it
- Was your car expensive?

Like others have said- stick to learning in a manual. You will get the hang of it with more practice. And once you have passed your test, you still have the option of driving an automatic if you really want to, whereas if you learn in an automatic, you can only drive an automatic and you will have to waste time and money later on if you decide to learn in a manual at a later date. Its easier to learn things like that while you are young, so id stick with it now. Also when it comes to having a car, there is a lot more choice car wise if you have a manual, manual cars are cheaper and manual cars are also better on things like fuel etc
Original post by Duggan
Hello,
Im starting to drive now and am not sure what is the best way to get insured for learning on the family car is, do i need to be a named driver on the policy or get a learner or temporary insurance so i can get some practice in.
Thanks

You would have to get the policy holder (i.e. your mum or dad, whoever is the main driver) to add you as a named driver on the car. Also remember you need your mum or dad or someone ever 21 who has been driving for at least 3 years to be with you in the car while your driving as well as needing L plates.
Original post by WoodyMKC
On a side note... you're looking to get a 207 convertible as a new young driver - have you got an insurance quote for it out of interest? Most likely gonna cost as much to insure the car for the first year as it is to buy it.

I agree- as a young driver- always get a quote to see what the insurance is likely to be on a car before getting it- you dont want to get a car, only to realise its going to cost a fortune (and more than you can afford) to insure.
Reply 11
I also wouldn't not stop manual lessons on a cost basis, it dont think that would ever add up, and while it would be nice to learn before your birthday its not like your starting a job or a have a fixed deadline.

I dont know what insurance on a 207cc is is like, but assuming they do the small engine versions, I cant see why it would be much worse than a standard 207, and they are not that new anymore.

Daniel
Reply 12
Stick to manual, you will get the hang of it eventually.

As for automatic cars - you don't have to pay a lot to get a good one (lots of nice BMWs / Mercedes / Audis under £2k) but the problem is that the oil in the gearbox (ATF) is often not a service item meaning that the manufacturers say it is "sealed for life". This is fine on a brand new car, but in reality it means once the cars get older they can give horrendous problems with the gearboxes and you may have to fit a new one. That will cost upwards of £1k.

If you buy carefully you can get an enthusiast owned one that has had the oil changed, but there aren't many about. And obviously they don't all break. You can also get the oil changed yourself, but budget for this when buying the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending