The Student Room Group

stuck! chemical/medical engineering??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by multani008
Hi I am a third year chemical engineering student. Fire away the questions :smile:

Hi I got 4 rejections for medicine and I don't really know if to apply again or not. I really love medicine and would love to be a doctor but the only thing pissing me off is the length and the salary is not as great at the start. Chemical engineering seems like great fun but I heard the job satisfaction is quite bad. So could you please give me an unbiased answer in whether to pursue medicine or chemical engineering?
Reply 21
Original post by Whizzlearner
Hi I got 4 rejections for medicine and I don't really know if to apply again or not. I really love medicine and would love to be a doctor but the only thing pissing me off is the length and the salary is not as great at the start. Chemical engineering seems like great fun but I heard the job satisfaction is quite bad. So could you please give me an unbiased answer in whether to pursue medicine or chemical engineering?

Many engineers do 4 years to get a MEng, so the length is pretty much the same and you might do a placement year so then it'll be 5 years. Also I'm studying chemical engineering and I personally don't see what seems like great fun about it lol but I think I'd enjoy working in industry. You sound like your heart is set on medicine, you should try next year imo.
Original post by Whizzlearner

From what I've heard job satisfaction for Chem Eng is very high, you can pretty much go into any field you want! I saw a news report calling them "universal engineers" as they are trained in engineering as well as science!

Also with regards to salaries you're looking at 30-40k if you get a first from a decent uni and don't decide to go into engineering consulting or something (this tends to be lower starting salary so kinda drags it down)
Reply 23
Original post by Hashim3444
Hi

I am a biomedical engineering student :smile:
Feel free to ask any question

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is your course like? pros and cons,
i'm thinking about studying this in uni and where would you like to work after this?
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest