The Student Room Group

Only child syndrome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Some entries on urban dictionary....just to show it isn't me that has noticed it. Also TSR I imagine is only child syndrome central.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Only%20Child%20Syndrome
Reply 61
Original post by McHumpy92
Depends though, you will obviously see how you react and your level of sharing as normal.

TBH I am on the other end of the scale and do think others should be...so I would use other peoples stuff without asking because I wouldn't mind, so why should they is my attitude.

Have you ever thought that maybe their problem with sharing is with you taking their stuff without asking? If family take my stuff without asking..fine, but if others do then that's a bit rude...!
i have also noticed how you only say people have 'honest' answers when they agree with you.
Reply 62
A pretty good description...I wonder if he has many siblings and a twin!

''A terrible disease that typically effects only-children, but can occasionally strike people with siblings. It may also effect children whose parents divorce.
Symptoms include: playing mind games with members of the opposite sex, a cripling desire for instant gratification, the inability to compromise or share, and a total disregard for anyones thoughts or feelings but their own.''
Reply 63
Original post by Trapeze123
Have you ever thought that maybe their problem with sharing is with you taking their stuff without asking? If family take my stuff without asking..fine, but if others do then that's a bit rude...!
i have also noticed how you only say people have 'honest' answers when they agree with you.

They were more descriptive with their actions and thoughts....the ones that disagreed did so in a snappy way, they couldn't handle any negativity. typical only child response really.

Some come to terms with it, others just carry on blaming others for their lack of friendships or constant falling out with people.
Reply 64
Original post by chelseafan
Seems like a rant on someone in particular... Don't generalise.

I know right.
One of my best friends is an only child, but she's not selfish or rude, if anything, I can be more selfish than her and I have two younger siblings. She's probably the most calm and quiet person out of the people I hang around with, but she's not as socially awkward as me.
She gets many things, but she doesn't let that get to her head and is really humble.

It depends on the person, so this stereotyping of spoilt little brats is just a misconception.
To be honest, sometimes the most spoilt people are the ones that have older siblings that don't live with them and are left alone with their parents who start indulging in them and eventually spoil them.
Reply 65
This is great. Someone must have really got to you, you say poor social skills but you're the one ranting on the internet rather than taking it up with whoever has annoyed you.
Reply 66
You must of heard of 'only child syndrome' previously? Especially being a sufferer and all.
Reply 67
Original post by JB20
This is great. Someone must have really got to you, you say poor social skills but you're the one ranting on the internet rather than taking it up with whoever has annoyed you.

I don't just go and argue with people. Cannot be bothered with the hassle. After years and years of many interactions I realise it isn't worth it in the end.

Discussing issues is worth it.
Reply 68
Do we all need stats and sources for every single discussion. Do you not have any of your own opinions. How is your robotic life?
I know a lot of only children. Some are spoiled brats. Most are fine. Some spoiled brats I know have siblings. If anything, the youngest children in a family often get babied, and that begets having siblings. Some only children I know are quite introverted because their parents are overprotective of them. There is little correlation between siblings and behaviour; it's all about the parents - and the person's natural character.

Most of my friends are fifteen/sixteen-year-old girls with younger brothers (mostly) or sisters, with about a three-year age gap between them. (I'm the same.) This seems a pretty good arrangement to me, since it gives us responsibility and also enables siblings to be quite close - although the younger sibling tends to get away with murder.
Reply 70
Only child syndrome?! Voices in my head disagree. :colone:
Reply 71
I have not stated any of my opinions as facts. I haven't made up any stats.

I am sorry that I didn't start every single sentence in all my sentences in this thread with 'IMO' like a brainless moron. I thought people could comprehend that it was my opinion and wouldn't need 'IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO' to stop them being so confused. You're just a typical pedantic forum member that looks for cheap reps by saying 'stop generalising'...'where are your stats'...with 7 billion people on the planet there is going to be generalising when talking about social issues. Try and wrap your brain around the first stat I have used in this thread.

You add nothing to discussion because you have no original thoughts. take for example 'go back to under your bridge troll'.
Reply 72
Original post by paradoxicalme
I know a lot of only children. Some are spoiled brats. Most are fine. Some spoiled brats I know have siblings. If anything, the youngest children in a family often get babied, and that begets having siblings. Some only children I know are quite introverted because their parents are overprotective of them. There is little correlation between siblings and behaviour; it's all about the parents - and the person's natural character.

Most of my friends are fifteen/sixteen-year-old girls with younger brothers (mostly) or sisters, with about a three-year age gap between them. (I'm the same.) This seems a pretty good arrangement to me, since it gives us responsibility and also enables siblings to be quite close - although the younger sibling tends to get away with murder.

Sounds like you're all first borns so could be inflicted, especially being female it is a lot more prevalent in females due to princess syndrome.

I would like to hear opinions of maybe 3rd borns in a 4 sibling family. Anyone fit that mold?
Stereotypical generalisation much?
Yes, there will be only children who perhaps behave in this way, but they are a very small minority.
Sounds like you're all first borns so could be inflicted, especially being female it is a lot more prevalent in females due to princess syndrome.

I would like to hear opinions of maybe 3rd borns in a 4 sibling family. Anyone fit that mold?

Your GCSE in Psychology isn't enough to qualify you to diagnose pseudo-syndromes, sorry to inform you. Come back when you've got your doctorate.

I'd find that quite interesting too.

As for 'princess syndrome', ha. In my year of 150 people I know exactly 2 with 'princess syndrome', one a rich only child, one a less rich (but still quite well off) firstborn. I don't think it's more prevalent in girls - I know several boys (usually youngest in family) who are moody, throw tantrums, don't know how to do anything by themselves and are babied by their families. 'Little emperor syndrome' I believe they call it in China.

Most kids aren't like this. Thankfully, it's a minority.
Reply 76
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Your GCSE in Psychology isn't enough to qualify you to diagnose pseudo-syndromes, sorry to inform you. Come back when you've got your doctorate.

Couldn't even do Psychology at GCSE at my school and have never took it or read into it ever.

I am sorry that I think the opinion of all first born females is skewed when that is what my sister is and some of my housemates and they fit the 'only child syndrome' perfectly.

Still looking for a 3rd positioned 4 sibling family child to come forward and have their opinion.
Couldn't even do Psychology at GCSE at my school and have never took it or read into it ever.

I am sorry that I think the opinion of all first born females is skewed when that is what my sister is and some of my housemates and they fit the 'only child syndrome' perfectly.

Still looking for a 3rd positioned 4 sibling family child to come forward and have their opinion.

I was being sarcastic, but it is pretty clear that you've got no knowledge on the subject.
Reply 78
Original post by paradoxicalme
I'd find that quite interesting too.

As for 'princess syndrome', ha. In my year of 150 people I know exactly 2 with 'princess syndrome', one a rich only child, one a less rich (but still quite well off) firstborn. I don't think it's more prevalent in girls - I know several boys (usually youngest in family) who are moody, throw tantrums, don't know how to do anything by themselves and are babied by their families. 'Little emperor syndrome' I believe they call it in China.

Most kids aren't like this. Thankfully, it's a minority.

I kind of fit that mold...but I would class myself as 4th position out of 5 even though the youngest. But I was treated as the older twin...I was the bigger and more mature twin(obviously not identical).
Reply 79
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I was being sarcastic, but it is pretty clear that you've got no knowledge on the subject.

I knew you were being sarcastic, I just chose to give you a serious answer too irritate you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending