The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Really, once puberty has done its job, age becomes less relevant.

If you were 56 and he was 52, would he be too young?
If you were 34 and he was 30, would he seem too young?

It only seems like a big age gap because you're both young. If he's mature and you two are attracted to each other then what's the harm in at least seeing where it might go?

There's nothing wrong with him liking slightly older girls, perhaps he considers his own age demographic to be too immature for him, or maybe he likes you, not for you being older, but just because you're a cool person.

Giving it a try can't do any harm, and I'm sure he'd end up understanding if you felt too awkward with the age gap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by daisy136
- I turned 22 in January
- He is currently 18...19 in August

i certainly wouldn't want to date a guy who's 26. It seems a bit old! What sort of guys like to date older girls?

Do you think there's a noticeable age different of any sort?

I'm attracted to him and he seems nice but I said no because of the age difference. He replied

' As if you're making a deal out of my age, that all goes out the window past about 16/17. Birthday is the 3rd of August, roughly a month for you to find me a present. X'

Since we've agreed to go on a date... But im not sure still. I always get really emotional when splitting up in relationships, imagine if it progresses and then ends, I would be crying on to a 18 year old boy. Hmm. I'm just not sure!

The only unusual thing is that the girl is the older one in your relationship. I know so many, my parents included, where the man is quite a few years older. Suppose the relationship goes somewhere, in 10 years these 3.5 won't make a difference at all.
It all comes down to maturity, not age. I'm almost 2 years older than my boyfriend, but he's probably the more mature of the two of us. As long as you're comfortable and are assertive or can ignore when people criticise you for "robbing the cradle" (which they inevitably will), it doesn't matter.
Thanks for taking the time to reply properly. Plus point!

I think your right, perhaps he does just want a little time to get to know me better, when I hinted about a date and asked if the app was actually a dating app, he said: 'I think it just provides a platform to get to know people first before you have to suggest a date of any kind. If you're going back to LDN soon I've got a while to plan for when you're next back.. And a bit longer to get to know you eyyy'
I'm not back for 2 weeks and I just don't want to be texting him through that 'getting to know each other'. Not a big fan of texting. Some guys just play you on and actually have no intension to meet up, they just want text banter...someone to text. Do you think that's him?

No problem :smile: glad to help in any way I can!

Have you met up with anyone through this app before? You sound like a pretty confident person which is good, but it's just that not everyone out there will feel as up for meeting people off the Internet straight away as you are. I'm not gonna do the whole "be safe" speech thing.. But you know what I mean. If you don't like texting why don't you phone each other? That way he might feel comfortable to meet you sooner cos hell have heard your voice and stuff? Or why not suggest meeting but he brings a friend and you do too but yous can go off and on your own eventually? It's great that technology allows us to meet new people so easily but you have to remember not everyone feels comfortable and he might have met up with someone before and they maybe didn't turn up or weren't how he thought they would be.
Why don't you try asking questions which are not super personal but still a step up from "normal" conversation? :smile: that way you'll know he's not just wanting someone to fill his time if you get to know him as a person better.
Reply 24
The age difference isn't really that bad he's basically 19 so it's only 3 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
H
Original post by Chocolatesoup
No problem :smile: glad to help in any way I can!

Have you met up with anyone through this app before? You sound like a pretty confident person which is good, but it's just that not everyone out there will feel as up for meeting people off the Internet straight away as you are. I'm not gonna do the whole "be safe" speech thing.. But you know what I mean. If you don't like texting why don't you phone each other? That way he might feel comfortable to meet you sooner cos hell have heard your voice and stuff? Or why not suggest meeting but he brings a friend and you do too but yous can go off and on your own eventually? It's great that technology allows us to meet new people so easily but you have to remember not everyone feels comfortable and he might have met up with someone before and they maybe didn't turn up or weren't how he thought they would be.
Why don't you try asking questions which are not super personal but still a step up from "normal" conversation? :smile: that way you'll know he's not just wanting someone to fill his time if you get to know him as a person better.

Thanks.

I haven't met anyone from the app before, we both literally downloaded it that night and I deleted it after half an hour, we spoke a bit on it and then exchanged numbers.

I don't think he's bothered about safety, I suggested going out for drinks, I don't think there's much likeness of that going off track...
He goes out partying a lot, he's been to Ibiza, I think most people have had a ONS and gone off to a strangers house, I'm 100% certain he would have before (not that its going to happen with us) ...Defiantly not holding back because of safety.

I really want to see him this weekend, I've had a pretty hard time getting over a bad previous relationship and I'm now quite keen to meeting new people, take my mind off things with my ex and hopefully move on.

I don't want to come across desperate, basically - I suggested meeting up, he agreed, I set a time for this weekend but he didn't respond to that part of the text.

His last message was yesterday at 11pm... I only bothered replying at half 4 today.

This is how my text went in conversation - i hope it sounds okay and not desperate or too much when I said again that I basically wanted to meet up this weekend

" I'm in (insert his neighbouring city)! Waiting for my friend to arrive, just going to catch up over a meal. Some speedy replies your getting haha. I do apologise! I think if you want to keep on texting and whatnots its best to meet up this weekend before I go back to London, otherwise it probably isn't going to happen...I'm just being honest, sorry, it's up to you! I said before and you didn't seem too up for it. What have you been up to today? Out tonight? I actually haven't been to Ibiza before, I worked in Faliraki one summer at a surf school..that's about as far as party vacations have been for me! Ha. I went to Cape Town in SA, one of the best holidays I've been on. Where about's is your mum from? I take it your half SA then yeah?! Awesome! X "

EDIT:
He has always replied within an hour, it's now 10 mins past midnight and nothing, I feel like I've said something wrong... Or he either plays games (because I took time) orrr he's simply is not that interested.
I think I've just been pied....
I decided to log on that App again briefly and came across his profile which was last active 2 hours ago.
Can't believe I made this much of a fuss on here over thinking when it's come to nothing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
ummm..... babe you are too old

you will take advantage of him and as he is a child will take no **** a leave

You don't want to date older men, he won't want to date older women
Reply 27
Original post by BoBoAlpha
ummm..... babe you are too old

you will take advantage of him and as he is a child will take no **** a leave

You don't want to date older men, he won't want to date older women

Seriously? He's 18, 19 in a month and therefore It's not about taking about taking advantage, he's not a kid.

I turned 22 in Jan, so there's like 3 years 8 months between us... And no, I wouldn't want to date someone that much older but that's just my opinion, I'm quite young for my age, I don't feel 22 and certainly don't look it, people say I look about 18/19. I know this guy hangs around with a mixed age group and he's good friends with my ex who's a year younger than me, I also think he has a sister who's 22-24. When you bond with people around the same age, you don't really think anything of the age difference...were all still young.

Look at Taylor Swift shes 23 and dated 5 years below...

I think I asked the question because I felt a bit awkward about the possibility, from people's response I've realised there's nothing too wrong with it and he certainly doesn't think there is, I've brought it up with him twice.
4 years isn't bad. Perfectly fine if you ask me, so long as the two of you are on the same level (maturity wise).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
If he bangs you he is going to get so much respect from his mates.
He's 18, he's an adult, if you are comfortable with the relationship why give a **** about other peoples opinion.

I love how it's ok for older men to date younger, arguably more vulnerable, women but it's not oke for older girls to date younger men.
(edited 10 years ago)
H

Thanks.

I haven't met anyone from the app before, we both literally downloaded it that night and I deleted it after half an hour, we spoke a bit on it and then exchanged numbers.

I don't think he's bothered about safety, I suggested going out for drinks, I don't think there's much likeness of that going off track...
He goes out partying a lot, he's been to Ibiza, I think most people have had a ONS and gone off to a strangers house, I'm 100% certain he would have before (not that its going to happen with us) ...Defiantly not holding back because of safety.

I really want to see him this weekend, I've had a pretty hard time getting over a bad previous relationship and I'm now quite keen to meeting new people, take my mind off things with my ex and hopefully move on.

I don't want to come across desperate, basically - I suggested meeting up, he agreed, I set a time for this weekend but he didn't respond to that part of the text.

His last message was yesterday at 11pm... I only bothered replying at half 4 today.

This is how my text went in conversation - i hope it sounds okay and not desperate or too much when I said again that I basically wanted to meet up this weekend

" I'm in (insert his neighbouring city)! Waiting for my friend to arrive, just going to catch up over a meal. Some speedy replies your getting haha. I do apologise! I think if you want to keep on texting and whatnots its best to meet up this weekend before I go back to London, otherwise it probably isn't going to happen...I'm just being honest, sorry, it's up to you! I said before and you didn't seem too up for it. What have you been up to today? Out tonight? I actually haven't been to Ibiza before, I worked in Faliraki one summer at a surf school..that's about as far as party vacations have been for me! Ha. I went to Cape Town in SA, one of the best holidays I've been on. Where about's is your mum from? I take it your half SA then yeah?! Awesome! X "

EDIT:
He has always replied within an hour, it's now 10 mins past midnight and nothing, I feel like I've said something wrong... Or he either plays games (because I took time) orrr he's simply is not that interested.
I think I've just been pied....
I decided to log on that App again briefly and came across his profile which was last active 2 hours ago.
Can't believe I made this much of a fuss on here over thinking when it's come to nothing.

Hmm Im not sure. You dont sound desperate at all, sounds like normal conversation. Maybe just send him a random text saying something like "sup?" and see if he replies. Or if you still hear nothing for a while, then forget about him, get out there and meet new people through your friends and through going on nights out or take up something new. online can be good but there are other avenues as well you could try. i wouldnt feel too bummed about it though, there will be plenty of guys youll talk to who will just suddenly stop chatting for no reason, it just happens im afraid. usually its cos they are beginning a relationship with someone else or they have met someone else yknow the usual things which just happen. im sure youll meet someone new :smile:
Just go for!
People go out with much younger guys all the time now and it's pretty normal...though your age gap maybe a larger gap than usual.
Personally I just would never go out with a younger guy just because I have brother who is a year younger than me; so it would just be too weird for me! :smile:
Really interesting. I'm in the same situation, but I am a 19 year old boy dating a 22 year old girl. To complicate matters, we are currently doing long distance. We have been dating over a year, but for me, it's been highly problematic. I never feel like I live up to my girlfriends standards for men. I've told her this, and she is aware that I feel our relationship is ultimately flawed. The unfortunate part is that we are both at a point where we both feel attached. The concept of breaking up makes my girlfriend cry all of the time. I also get sad with the idea because I am not very socially endowed, and I currently am a bit of a loner. Nothing major has happened. No cheating. Lots of fights and disagreements though between us. She feels like she isn't any more mature than I am, but I feel like the age factor is huge between us and it really defines a lot of major issues that we expirence. When we first met, she got me a job. We both went to the same college for a short period of time, but she moved away back home after the semester was over. I feel she is more mature than me for a few reasons. First, she has a job and she is further along in her education. I can barely hang onto any job without being fired or laid off. Currently I'm a full time student because I am completely discouraged from work. Second, she has moved out of her parents house and can manage rent, work and college. I have never moved out of my parents house, so I mind as well just be a high school student to her because I am in the same situation as I was in high school. She likes me because I am a cool confident guy, but we are just at different places financially and academically. I sort of feel like I am a freshman boy dating a senior girl. I am ultimately subject to her manipulation, and I have problems with it that I cannot resolve.

Latest

Trending

Trending