The Student Room Group

Who was your favourite Roman?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek
Horrible fellow, fascinating though. I seem to remember him cutting out his wife's uterus to make his unborn son come early - certainly not a nice chap! (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

The character who narrates that story (about Caligula and his sister/wife Drusilla) in Robert Graves 'I, Claudius' says he has no evidence for it, just a suspicion. And none of the ancient sources mention it either. Drusilla is more commonly believed to have died of a fever, and the underlying stories of incest may have been a misunderstanding or a fabrication. However, Caligula was certainly a colourful character, to say the least.

My own favourites would be Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus, Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, Marcus Tullius Cicero, and of course Gaius Julius Caesar.
Reply 21
Caesar!

I don't know an awful lot about the others, so it's gotta be Caesar!

Besides, Augustus (Gloop) Augustus (Gloop)
The great, big, greedy nincompoop! :banana2:
Stilicho, Flavius Constantius, and Aetius.

Most whackiest goes to Elagabalus. A teen Emperor, never grew up. Used to play jokes on his guests; they'd play hide and seek and he'd put tigers in the rooms. Also dressed up as a woman and used to go to the local brothel and be the source of entertainment all night.
Reply 23
Flavius Belisarius, Michael Psellos, Anna Komnene.

Who needs ancient Rome when you can have medieval Rome? :tongue:
Original post by Shaun1991
Not too keen on Abramovich so will have to go with Pavlyuchenko.

tumblr_mkje1tqWzt1s99x2ao1_500.jpg

But anyway, I'm going to go with Tacitus (or maybe both iterations of Pliny). I have great admiration for those who document and preserve aspects and impressions of their civilisations - without the records of people like these, the scope of our insight would be markedly narrowed.
Constantine and if authors are allowed Virgil
nicki minaj
Elagabalus.

I know hardly anything about ancient Rome - shamefully little considering I've just spent a week in Rome - but I do know he was rather, er.. wacky.
Reply 28
Marcus Licinius Crassus.

Tbh I'm not even sure why, I've just always found him interesting :tongue:
Cicero. Augustus was cool too.

I love ancient Rome. If I had a time machine, it's one of the first places I'd go.
Aetius
Has to be Tiberius Gracchus
Bit of a cliché but I do like Cicero. A man of no great wealth, family or martial background, and yet he commanded attention for the power of his oratory alone.

His Philippics were a bit of bad idea though. That and his handling of the Catiline Conspiracy while consul, which came back to bite him several times.
Caesar definitely.
Reply 34
Flavius Aetius
May i know who was herculious?
Who is the person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dynamicmind
May i know who was herculious?

Do you mean Hercules? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules
Cicero.
Hmm, tough question!

I seem to find Caligula, Nero and Caesar the most interesting for me, but I can't really choose, as I've found most of the Ancient Romans interesting! They were all doing something :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending