The Student Room Group

Youtube celebrates LGBT Pride with "Proud to Love"

They've changed their logo and everything to advertise it. Thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can't help but think for the millionth time that if being LGBT is
normal/natural, why does the LGBT community constantly organise gay
pride parades and events to show the straight people that they're proud
to be different? What is there to be proud about if it's just a natural
thing? Another thing I dislike about these events is the fact that it
makes it look like all gays are flamboyant because everything is coated
in rainbow colours and everyone wears unusual clothes for their gender,
when in fact if gays come in all shapes and sizes why is it only the
"fabulous" ones that are presented to everyone. Surely it would be
smarter to have a couple of straight-looking-but-actually-gay people at the forefront of their campaign?
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
smarter to have a couple of straight-looking-but-actually-gay people at the forefront of their campaign?

I understand your view. People organise events and are proud of being LGBT as they are absolutely sick of the hetronormative lifestyle that society wants for them. Men 'aren't supposed to like' fashion or pop music, and some do. Women aren't supposed to like going to the gym for weights or television programmes about cars, but some do. We live in a society where these things are expected of us. True, there are some straight-acting gays/bis, but at the end of the day, I'd say it's more freedom of expression than an expression of orientation, although many conform to the stereotypes. Society, in general, likes to present LGBT as something that is not normal, so it exacerbates its emphasis on the stereotype. As a member of the LGBT community, myself, it annoys me so much that we are supposed to conform to stereotypes under the heteronormative perspective of society. People's personalities made them that way - not their orientation.

I'm guessing gay pride parades and marches were originally organised to show that some, many are proud and happy to be LGBT and to counter those who believe it is wrong, disgusting, sinful etc etc.
Reply 4
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I understand your view. People organise events and are proud of being LGBT as they are absolutely sick of the hetronormative lifestyle that society wants for them. Men 'aren't supposed to like' fashion or pop music, and some do. Women aren't supposed to like going to the gym for weights or television programmes about cars, but some do. We live in a society where these things are expected of us. True, there are some straight-acting gays/bis, but at the end of the day, I'd say it's more freedom of expression than an expression of orientation, although many conform to the stereotypes. Society, in general, likes to present LGBT as something that is not normal, so it exacerbates its emphasis on the stereotype. As a member of the LGBT community, myself, it annoys me so much that we are supposed to conform to stereotypes under the heteronormative perspective of society. People's personalities made them that way - not their orientation.
That's more of a comment on social stereotypes in general.
Youtube should be shamed for forcing it onto the rest of us.
Reply 5
thing?
Another thing I dislike about these events is the fact that it

Because like any minority group they feel entitled to a sense of superior well being in the face of years of oppression. And as you said, if they were really, really regarding themselves as equal to anyone else then they wouldn't feel the need to have a parade about a natural occurrence.

Pride rallies for anyone in a minority group is now just a way of sticking it to white, straight males rather than giving two ****s about integration or unity with society.
Reply 6
Sigh, watching society go into a decline before my very eyes, and no-one is trying to stop it..
Reply 7
Original post by scapepower
Sigh, watching society go into a decline before my very eyes, and no-one is trying to stop it..

I have no doubt that you are doing everything in your power behind your keyboard to incite the next revolution to re-establish the good old days where homosexuals were stoned to death.
Reply 8
Original post by Carecup
I have no doubt that you are doing everything in your power behind your keyboard to incite the next revolution to re-establish the good old days where homosexuals were stoned to death.

Or the days when children were raised by bio-logical opposites, and has the mental,physical, and emotional support of both parents during their child-hood.

Stoning people to death is disgusting, i would not allow it even for homicide.
Or the days when children were raised by bio-logical opposites, and has the mental,physical, and emotional support of both parents during their child-hood

Pretty sure a lot of people still have that. Not that there's anything wrong with single parents and same-sex parents...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by shadowdweller
Pretty sure a lot of people still have that. Not that there's anything wrong with single parents and same-sex parents...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of crime by the way is often due to single-parents raising kids. Don't underestimate the importance of both biologically opposites parents.

Eitherway, single parents are far less of an issue than two parents of the same gender, which can confuse a childs identity, understanding, and can cause the child a lot of social and emotional stress in society.
Reply 11
A lot of crime by the way is often due to single-parents raising kids. Don't underestimate the importance of both biologically opposites parents.

Eitherway, single parents are far less of an issue than two parents of the same gender, which can confuse a childs identity, understanding, and can cause the child a lot of social and emotional stress in society.

I know we've had this conversation recently but there are a few things I would like to point out:

1. Why are same gender parents worse than single parents? Surely it depends on the individual parents and their attitudes towards parenting and raising their own children.
2. Confuse a child's identity? Can you explain this point further please.
3. A child's emotional state will be affected by love and care from their parents, I don't doubt same gender parents will be able to do this. A child's social state (if you mean things like bullying or 'isolation') is not the fault of the gay parents. If people bully someone because of having gay parents, they're probably not nice people and the problem is theirs. There are other factors which make a child 'isolated', even so, why do they have to be like everyone else?

Source?

There is little evidence to support this. In fact, most studies suggest that same-sex parenting is just as good/effective as opposite gender parenting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Gay men and women still feel prejudice in their daily lives concerning their sexuality so it is understandable. However, Manchester's Gay Pride, for example, is well known as a big party where lots of booze, sex, and drugs are to be had. I think that's what it has come to but some old fashioned gay people within the ranks still believe that they have something to fight for even now. When there is hardly anything to fight for, you become the same as everyone else, and in many ways gay people don't want that, they want to be fabulous, special, unique. Just go on the gay scene anywhere in the UK and you will find plenty of gay men and women trying to be something that they are not, trying to grab the spotlight. Once all rights have been fought for and won, the gay scene will be just another venue for clubs and pubs. It will cease to be special.
I think it's fine to ingrain into society that all this is normal. They're a minority, obviously it's great to remind them there's people like them all over the world.
Does anyone know when YouTube are celebrating straight pride?
Original post by contrapositive

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing...
Most of that is so disgusting. They make a video about LGBT and use the clips which most represent the stereotype of campness faggotry, a main reason for aversion to LGBT.

Edit: Sorry this sounds a little top harsh for my liking, I just mean that the stereotypical portrayal of homosexuals shouldn't be considered the norm, because It's counter-productive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by contrapositive

Probably around the time that gay people are holding all the cards and controlling the rights of when and how straight people can legally marry.
Original post by Miracle Day
Most of that is so disgusting. They make a video about LGBT and use the clips which most represent the stereotype of campness faggotry, a main reason for aversion to LGBT.

Ugh.

Lol, you're more pathetic than those campy dudes (who I can't stand btw) because you're like a gay uncle tom. You're a faggot in the eyes of homophobes as well so don't forget that. You're like the black dudes who call other blacks "*******" in a derogatory context to describe ghettoish behavior, it's ****ing pathetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending