The Student Room Group

6 A-Level Options - Will I die?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
Well, I'm practically fluent in German so you can pretty much discount German as an option because it required only 5% of the time a normal person would put in. And the EPQ is different because firstly, there's a very compelling reason to do it namely that it shows interest in a specific subject, and secondly I want to do it for fun. In terms of work, I'm really only doing 5 AS equivalents and one of them isn't really an AS.

What an impressive double standard.
Original post by Chlorophile
Well, I'm practically fluent in German so you can pretty much discount German as an option because it required only 5% of the time a normal person would put in. And the EPQ is different because firstly, there's a very compelling reason to do it namely that it shows interest in a specific subject, and secondly I want to do it for fun. In terms of work, I'm really only doing 5 AS equivalents and one of them isn't really an AS.

:facepalm:

You can't say that and then expect others not to do things out of enjoyment or such. They're not doing it due to some sense of false obligation.
I know for a fact Oxbridge are less likely to admit someone who took more than 4 as they want someone committed to less subjects in more depth. It'd be better to take 4 over 2 years to make sure you get the best grades - especially with the harder linear subjects coming in
Original post by shivishivi
Hey,

I've made my A-Level choices, and having now finished my GCSE's, I'm starting to doubt myself.
During my GCSE's, I have been studying Computing AS as an early A-Level outside of my school.

For year 12, I am planning on taking:

Maths (AS)

Further Maths (AS)

Physics (AS)

Chemistry (AS)

Economics (AS)

Computing (A2)

And then in Year 13, I'll drop Economics and my Computing will be finished, leaving me with 4 A2's.

So overall:

Year 12 - 5 AS's and 1 A2.

Year 13 - 4 A2's.

I understand all of my subjects are quite difficult (Maybe excluding Economics), and I have no clue what I want to do in the future (Trying to keep my options open). I may do a Pure Maths degree?

I'm looking for some students to let me know whether or not this is possible, I don't mind putting in a lot of hard work!

Thanks.

Edit.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with it for now.

If it goes badly, I can always drop Economics, I'm not binding a contract!.

My friends are taking Maths, Biology, Physics, Chem, General Paper, and Mandarin AS and A Levels. Not everyone is doing Mandarin, and some are also taking Further Maths, so the range is 5-7. It seems (it IS) unrealistic, so I'll ask again to make sure, but it's def possible.

Quick Reply

Latest