The Student Room Group

Art foundation Course, PLEASE HELP!

I have recently finished my A levels and have a place to go on an art foundation course. My problem is that I have never and at the moment don't want to go to university, and that is basically the point of an art foundation course- to get you a place at your choice of uni.
I have always been a hard worker, and love fashion, art and think I would be an able student, but I'm not really sure if the course is for me- or if i'd fit in.. I also don't have a clue what I would do if I didn't go, but the course is a whole year of free education which i feel i Should take advantage of! My sister went on this course a couple of years ago and loved it, but she always knew she wanted to go to university.
The reason I don't want to go is because for a long time I have wanted to get into the world of work and business, to feel like I'm actually getting somewhere, rather than just going along the education route which I don't think i'll enjoy. I'd love to start my own business, but don't really know how or where to start- I'm the kind of person who has a million different ideas a day and then doesn't do anything about it..
If anyone has any advice (about what I should do art foundation related or business/ working advice)it would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm a bit stuck at the moment, and it's getting me down.
Thanks
Reply 1
Im just finishing my foundation course and although i am taking the uni route, plenty of other people on my course have chosen not to go. A foundation course isn't just about getting to university, its about providing u with the skills you need to take the next step in your career, whatever that may be. Im sure the college you're going to will be able to help you with networking and ways of starting your own buisness, if thats what's best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkjjft
I have recently finished my A levels and have a place to go on an art foundation course. My problem is that I have never and at the moment don't want to go to university, and that is basically the point of an art foundation course- to get you a place at your choice of uni.
I have always been a hard worker, and love fashion, art and think I would be an able student, but I'm not really sure if the course is for me- or if i'd fit in.. I also don't have a clue what I would do if I didn't go, but the course is a whole year of free education which i feel i Should take advantage of! My sister went on this course a couple of years ago and loved it, but she always knew she wanted to go to university.
The reason I don't want to go is because for a long time I have wanted to get into the world of work and business, to feel like I'm actually getting somewhere, rather than just going along the education route which I don't think i'll enjoy. I'd love to start my own business, but don't really know how or where to start- I'm the kind of person who has a million different ideas a day and then doesn't do anything about it..
If anyone has any advice (about what I should do art foundation related or business/ working advice)it would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm a bit stuck at the moment, and it's getting me down.
Thanks

If you enjoy art and wanna build a business around your skills in it, I'd say go for the course. As the above person says, you can network and the college will help in support and advise for your future plans.

If you don't have the passion for the subject, maybe try and find a a course that can help you start your own business, or get a job and do and evening courses in starting your own enterprise.

Maybe contact your college and explain your situation and they could help you out??
I do know a friend who got money to start his own photography business from the princes trust. Maybe try them too.
Reply 3
I've just finished my foundation course and I loved it, I think it was teh perfect course to do for me, it really helped both myself and my art mature to a level that is university ready - a lot of people on my course aren't going to uni though, there are some people who have started freelancing, some that have gone straight on to apprenticeships, jobs and work placements, etc.
I'd definitely recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest