The Student Room Group

How lenient are Unis?

I only applied for one uni (Uni of Gloucestershire) to study Film Production, I got a conditional offer and the criteria is 280 UCAS points and I'm not sure that I've got that? How lenient do you think they'll be with letting people in? Does it 100% have to be 280 points or would they let someone in with say, 260?
Reply 1
It depends on how everyone else does. They have X number of places, so if X number of people meet their offers they can't accept anyone else. But if X-2 people meet their offers, they can then accept 2 people who missed.

So nobody here can say if you'll definitely be accepted. Even the uni won't know at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
It depends on how everyone else does. They have X number of places, so if X number of people meet their offers they can't accept anyone else. But if X-2 people meet their offers, they can then accept 2 people who missed.

So nobody here can say if you'll definitely be accepted. Even the uni won't know at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely they must have enough spaces for everyone who they gave conditional offers to in case everyone gets enough UCAS points?
Reply 3
Original post by MyNameIsPhil
But surely they must have enough spaces for everyone who they gave conditional offers to in case everyone gets enough UCAS points?

No they give out more offers than what they have places because there are people who won't meet the offer, unless there are very few places (I.e under 30) it's almost guaranteed that some people will miss the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bloxorus
No they give out more offers than what they have places because there are people who won't meet the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what would happen if everyone did meet the offer?
Reply 5
But what would happen if everyone did meet the offer?

Unless there is something like 10 places on the course it's extremely unlikely but if they did then they would have to accept everyone. The number on every course does change a bit each year because of this reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If everyone did meet the offer then the university would ask people to defer their entry for a year (and give them money for doing so), or have more people on the course than intended. This is what happened in my year!
Reply 7
I'm a lot more worried now, but thanks :P
Reply 8

They have a lot of statistics. They know that roughly Y% of people will miss their offer, or not choose it as firm etc.

Some less popular courses will be able to offer everyone a place, but most will not be able to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending