The Student Room Group

Should the boss shout at his employees?

I was in one of those internet cafes and was browsing the internet and minding my business and all of the sudden, the owner started shouting, "OWH, COME ON, HURRY UP!" to his employees.

At first I was just :erm: since it's really not my business, and probably the boss was frustrated with the employee(s).

Then I heard, "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THE OTHER THEN!?". I was basically :hide: then lol.

I left the premise thinking, should the boss do such a thing, i.e. the shouting to the employee. to ensure that the work is done quicker? : /
Reply 1
Original post by kka25
I was in one of those internet cafes and was browsing the internet and minding my business and all of the sudden, the owner started shouting, "OWH, COME ON, HURRY UP!" to his employees.

At first I was just :erm: since it's really not my business, and probably the boss was frustrated with the employee(s).

Then I heard, "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THE OTHER THEN!?". I was basically :hide: then lol.

I left the premise thinking, should the boss do such a thing, i.e. the shouting to the employee. to ensure that the work is done quicker? : /

Lol, I get it all the time... It's just how some people are I guess

I usually argue back if I feel they're going OTT tho
I honestly believe the answer to this is always no. The best way to get the most out of your workers is to motivate them. Making them hate coming to work is not going to get the best performance out of them and embarrassing them in front of strangers and making them feel small is only going to increase their chance of ****ing up. That's not to say I don't believe in discipline or strict measures - just be a man about it. A boss should take a worker aside and scold them privately if s/he really has to.
Only a crappy boss, I find small companies often have this, shops etc because the owner tends to be a control freak and always stressed.
Reply 4
Original post by Double Agent
Only a crappy boss, I find small companies often have this, shops etc because the owner tends to be a control freak and always stressed.

Yup. It's a small shop.

The thing is, I've been going to that shop for years; only recently I see that the boss is acting really aggressively. The shop has been expending though; before this it has one lot; now it has two.
Reply 5
Boss' should only shout at an employee if they do something wrong, and I don't mean like a mild accident or mistake anyone can make occasionally, everyone has one of those day's it happens to everyone shouting at someone because of that is a bit much. But if they are constantly ****ing up, or seem to be purposefully doing stuff that they have been asked politely not to, or know they should not then they should get a *******ing.
If you own a business you should be able to run it however you like. Including shouting at employees. Whether that will help make the business successful or not probably depends on the situation of the business though.
Reply 7
Original post by Double Agent

No , not only crappy boss , i had a family member worked in a very high position in many large firm/ company (such as the dutch banks , cathay pacfic ) over many years who i witnessed when i was younger shouted at the employees due to the mistake they made and years later (now ) who achieved much more (he was just an regular employee in cathay pacfic during then and now a regional director of south east asia ) and he openly admitted she is the only one supervisor who helped him to developed the skills he required now

if it is used as a business management method and if it is effective , a suitable amount of shouting would never harm anyone . unless your confidence and your self esteem is really little ,but then once again , if you did everything well , you wouldnt needed to be shouted at .

encouragment is needed , but suitable negative reinforcement is also required.
A good boss shouldn't shout It unprofessional, by all means have a strong word, but never in front of customers. My mum once called a supervisor out in a shop for disciplining staff in front of customers, saying it should be done out of sight and earshot of the customers and that she didn't want to hear it.:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending