The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I screwed it up. Couldn't remember that much of the syllabus for this paper tbh. CandR and HFHF were a lot better though :smile:
It was pretty good actually. Thought it was a little dodgy of them not to mention the 5% when asking for the mass of antimony produced in the last bit. The first question was also a new one and I think it threw a few people off. What I got: Proton - relative mass = 1 charge = +1, Electron - relative mass = 0, charge = -1, Neutron - relative mass = 1, charge = 0.
Reply 3
i found it hard... they need to give you more time in foundation chemistry!!
Reply 4
I found this paper the hardest out of the 3 modules! Its partially because I havent practiced any questions for this sice Jan and looks like I've made more mistakes than I would've if I took the paper then... too bad... hard to say how many mistakes I've made but I think it is enough to bring my grade down to C :frown:... I might as well retake it next year if thats the case...
Reply 5
wht is the realtive atomic mass of electron?
Reply 6
i say it 1/1800
Reply 7
Hello, Wht did u write for the realtive atomic mass of electron? is it 1/1800 i am not sure.
Reply 8
oh no i wrote 1/2000 but 1/1800 sounds right! ahhh thats going to annoy me alot! what did other people put?
Salmanko84
wht is the realtive atomic mass of electron?

i put 1/1840 or 1/1830??? lol i ramdomly picked ne numbers:confused: :rolleyes:
Reply 10
the one question that through me off was when it asked for the relative molecular mass of MgCl2.6H20 i put 93 because i thought that the 6H20 was not part of the MgCl2 structure when it is in an aqueous state, can anybody shed some light onto this, thanks in advance
Reply 11
I put the mass of an electron was "negligible". Couldn't remember the actual figure.
It's technically 1/1836 the mass of a proton, however I put 0. I hope they accept that... it is effectively 0 and you don't include it when calculating the Ar and Mr anyway!
Reply 13
what did people put for the bond angle or the Sb thing? i put 120degrees and a trigonal planar molecule. is this right?
Reply 14
well.....the molecule was SbH3.....asked what bond angle......first i put 120........then it was in same group as nitrogen and i thgt naa....its guna be that pyramidal shape....like NH3 of 107 - i maybe wrong

the essay question...why so many marks?>.....11?...getting blood out of stone!

for calculations did people get 73 moles or summat like that and 17.9kg?

HFHF - do you think ill get the mark for saying 03 + 1/2 02 ----- 202

LOL....if that makes sense...be free to post queries so we can muddle through them
Reply 15
Intelligentsia
It's technically 1/1836 the mass of a proton, however I put 0. I hope they accept that... it is effectively 0 and you don't include it when calculating the Ar and Mr anyway!

i put 0, but its isnt correct.

for bond angle i put 107.

what did u think of Ca producing more gas than Sr when reacting with HCL. is it to do with breaking the metallic bonding?
You know for the Ca and the Sr gas volume difference produced I stared it for ages and wondered wtf they were on about. And then it hit me: 2g Ca is not the same no. of moles as 2g Sr. Thus the volume produced will be obviously less due to the mole ratio. Is it really this blaringly obvioius? :confused:
Reply 17
Intelligentsia
You know for the Ca and the Sr gas volume difference produced I stared it for ages and wondered wtf they were on about. And then it hit me: 2g Ca is not the same no. of moles as 2g Sr. Thus the volume produced will be obviously less due to the mole ratio. Is it really this blaringly obvioius? :confused:

oh crap, i didnt get that. its very tricky :mad:

i think it was only 2 marks wasnt it?
Reply 18
The questions raised so far:

Proton:
Relative mass = 1
Relative carge = +1

Electron:
Relative mass = 0
Relative charge = -1

Neutron:
Relative mass = 1
Relative charge = 0

Are you sure an electron's relative mass isn't 0?

For the relative atomic mass of MgCl2.6H2O I included the H2Os mainly because I have no idea what the whole water of crystallisation is

Bond angle for SbH3 is 107 - its pyramidal. If you look in the periodic table, Sb is in the same group as nitrogen so it will be similar to ammonia

I thought is was OK at the time but I'm not so sure now
Reply 19
w8wizz
oh crap, i didnt get that. its very tricky :mad:

i think it was only 2 marks wasnt it?
Poo i put it was due to rate of reactions!

Latest