The Student Room Group

Course change help

I have just completed my btec extended national diploma in health and social care and got 280 points.

At the beginning of the year my tutor told me not to apply for adult nursing (which is what I want to do) because I wouldn't get the grades. I've worked my arse off and got the grades to get into nursing but have applied for social sciences instead!? :-S

anyone know how I could get onto nursing??

taking a year out and applying not year is not an option!!!

thanksss xx
I think you could decline the offers you have received from your application already and apply for nursing through Extra on Ucas instead. But that would mean if you didn't get onto any of the nursing courses that you would no longer be able to accept your social science offers, so you should seriously think about it as that would mean you would no longer hold a university offer.

http://search.ucas.com/search/results?Query=adult%20nursing&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2013&page=1

There's a link of the courses that are available for Adult Nursing if you want to have a look.

If not you could try ringing your firm choice and asking if you could be transferred onto the nursing course if they have one there, which may be the safer option?
Reply 2
Original post by Naaadiiiaaa
I think you could decline the offers you have received from your application already and apply for nursing through Extra on Ucas instead. But that would mean if you didn't get onto any of the nursing courses that you would no longer be able to accept your social science offers, so you should seriously think about it as that would mean you would no longer hold a university offer.

http://search.ucas.com/search/results?Query=adult%20nursing&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2013&page=1

There's a link of the courses that are available for Adult Nursing if you want to have a look.

If not you could try ringing your firm choice and asking if you could be transferred onto the nursing course if they have one there, which may be the safer option?

sorry, but what is extra on ucas? Is that the one where you have to have applied by the 30th June?

ive asked my firm choice (Cumbria) and they said there is a long waiting list as nursing is so popular so the only way I could go about it would be actually applying!

:frown:
Original post by cdouglas_
sorry, but what is extra on ucas? Is that the one where you have to have applied by the 30th June?

ive asked my firm choice (Cumbria) and they said there is a long waiting list as nursing is so popular so the only way I could go about it would be actually applying!

:frown:

Extra is the part of Ucas you can use to apply to different course if you don't get offers for any of your original courses or if you decide you don't want to go to any of your original choices. According to the Ucas website the last date to apply to Extra is the 3rd of July, so you don't have long.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/tracking-your-application/adding-extra-choices
There's the link for more information on Extra.

So really you'd have to decide how badly you wanted to do nursing and if it was worth the risk of declining the offers you have already received. If Cumbria have a long waiting list chances are you won't get in there, you'll be more likely to get into a uni that has had less applications, so you should also take that into consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending