The Student Room Group

is Volunteering abroad alone weird?

So I'm thinking of going to moldova to help teach English in my gap year, would it be boring to do it by myself? Should I get my friends? I don't know if it will be just me
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by pheekum
So I'm thinking of going to moldova to help teach English in my gap year, would it be boring to do it by myself? Should I get my friends? I don't know if it will be just me
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should go for it. You'll meet a lot of new people there and you won't really think about how you just met them. The only issue may be that of safety.
Reply 2
No, it's all part of the adventure
Absolutely not. I plan on doing it in a couple of years, whether I'm alone or not depends on life's circumstances but if I could do it now then I most probably would have to do it alone and I imagine I'd enjoy it! If you're able to make friends relatively easily then it should be okay for you.
Reply 5
Go for it!! I have just returned from volunteering and travelling the world. I spent two months in samoa working with disabled children, none of my friends were able to come with me and I really wanted to do it so I upped and left by myself. It has to be THE best thing I've ever done, can't wait to go back and visit everyone. I met some amazing life long friends from all over the globe and managed to get totally immersed in Samoan culture. There were other volunteers there with their best friends from home and they were all the ones who had a crap time cos they couldn't let themselves go as much. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and head on out there! Have the best time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive done volunteering in India and Kenya and didnt know anyone out there before i went...met friends for life in both countries! The idea of going out there completely on your own is what makes it so exciting, not knowing who you will meet etc and seeing new faces. I found people who have taken their friend/s with them on volunteering as tend to be a disadvantage at times as they already have that click and tend to try less with the rest of the new volunteers which can be off putting for others. What ever you feel comfortable with tho
Original post by Emmay
Go for it!! I have just returned from volunteering and travelling the world. I spent two months in samoa working with disabled children, none of my friends were able to come with me and I really wanted to do it so I upped and left by myself. It has to be THE best thing I've ever done, can't wait to go back and visit everyone. I met some amazing life long friends from all over the globe and managed to get totally immersed in Samoan culture. There were other volunteers there with their best friends from home and they were all the ones who had a crap time cos they couldn't let themselves go as much. If I were you I'd bite the bullet and head on out there! Have the best time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where was this too? This sounds amazing!
Original post by sparkysarmy

Ummm. Samoa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sammy Lanka

I meant more specifically...
I meant more specifically...

Fair enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Oh it was incredible, the most beautiful country with the most beautiful people! I went with an organisation called projects abroad, they have placements all over the world but I chose samoa and it's pretty much unheard of to volunteer there but the need so much help and I wanted to go somewhere out of the ordinary. All projects are currently based near the main town of apia in samoa although they are looking to expand. There is a range of options from disabled schools and children's shelters to local schools and play groups to animal shelters. I had the time of my life and would really recommend looking up projects abroad and going with them. You also get placed with a local family, unlike similar organisations who place you in volunteer houses, so you get a real cultural experience whilst you are there too. I had the best family ever and am already planning on heading back next year before studying again. Any more info needed let me know. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Emmay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I want to go by myself now, what company did you go to? Or did you sort everything out by yourself (id imagine that's pretty hard though) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by pheekum
Thanks, I want to go by myself now, what company did you go to? Or did you sort everything out by yourself (id imagine that's pretty hard though) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went with an organisation called projects abroad, I would highly recommend them. I looked at loads of companies and I loved the idea of living with a local family the most so went with them. They have a good website, just google projects abroad. They have offices all over the world so you'll meet loads of other international volunteers on placement which is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emmay
I went with an organisation called projects abroad, I would highly recommend them. I looked at loads of companies and I loved the idea of living with a local family the most so went with them. They have a good website, just google projects abroad. They have offices all over the world so you'll meet loads of other international volunteers on placement which is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I've been looking at doing a short (2-week special ) volunteering project abroad, and was looking at the projects abroad site. How long did you go for with projects abroad? And did the price include transfers to pick you up from the airport and take you back to it?
Reply 15
Original post by charlottward.2
Hi, I've been looking at doing a short (2-week special ) volunteering project abroad, and was looking at the projects abroad site. How long did you go for with projects abroad? And did the price include transfers to pick you up from the airport and take you back to it?

I went for two months but could have stayed two years I loved it so much. If you have time and can afford it definitely try go for a month minimum and you'll get so much more out of it, I wish I could have afforded 3months as it took me a while to settle and then I wish I had had more time once settled. All their prices include 3 meals a day I eaten at home or work as the host family makes them, airport transfers, they will meet you at the airport, in country are also included and all accommodation costs with the host family. Obviously if you do trips away or meals out you'll have to pay. And you may be required to pay for your transport from the host house to your place of work. Which country are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by pheekum
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am from Moldova and I am studying in UK, and I think I can help you about it
Reply 17
Original post by pheekum
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Emmay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going abroad this summer for a month as well via ProjectsAbroad. At first I did think it was really expensive, but you've got to take into consideration this include everything from flights to airport pickups to accommodation to meals etc. They've also been really helpful via telephone and email. I am going with a friend from school though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending