The Student Room Group

2014 Graduate Programmes Applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Exciting times! Anyone who has questions regarding Deloitte or Audit, feel free to PM.
Reply 81
Original post by M1011
Exciting times! Anyone who has questions regarding Deloitte or Audit, feel free to PM.

Would like to ask apart from PwC, Do the Big3s need to do the verbal test ?
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by TCA2b
I'll see how it goes with PWC. I am confident I am the right material for these firms given my academics and work experience as well as my interests, but I don't want to balls it up by not putting sufficient time into it. I'll definitely get the applications in ASAP.

However, do they not usually want to work within deadlines, or are they willing to take things slowly once the application has begun and passed the psychometric test stage?

I am going for tax, though I have been giving business restructuring some thought, as it is one area that will prosper regardless of how terrible the market is, given its nature.

Hey, for me after the psychometrics I first had some correspondence with the firms by e-mail about my non-UK school grades (my grades are from a very small European country) so that bought me some extra time.

With PwC, once they thought my grades met the UK equivalents, I had a one-week break before the telephone interview. I think I did two full days worth of preparation for this - prepared examples for competencies & read current financial matters - Accountancy Age is very useful!

Then it took them 5 days to tell the outcome, then there was another 10 days or so before the AC - the AC dates I was offered varied between a 3 day and a 2 week wait. For the AC I just practised for the psychometric tests - there isn't much else you can do for it. I also read up on the tasks and prepares a vague plan for the written task.

After the AC there was a 3-4 day wait till I was told I passed. Then it took them a week to ring me about scheduling partner interview, I was offered either the next day or a week later. Needless to say I went for the one a week later. For that I prepared for 3-4 days: more competencies & commercial awareness.

My Deloitte application went very similarly, apart from with them it takes even longer to progress to interview stage, so even more time to prepare. In the end I had my PwC & Deloitte final interviews back to back so was able to prepare for them both simultaneously.

Many people who were applying at the same time last year experienced really frustrating delays with getting partner interviews arranged so there could be quite a significant gap before that...

With EY I passed the tests but then the vacancies filled and I never bothered ringing them up as my applications were processing well with PwC & Deloitte.

For KPMG I failed the numerical - after which I practised them like hell and passed all other ones easily.

I applied to a regional office so I presume that in terms of the time-scale the whole process was a bit more relaxed than it would be for London. I applied for all the firms in early September.

The Big4 applications were a joy in comparison to the medium-sized once like GT, BDO etc... Filling in those application questions took forever and was just really annoying!
Reply 83
Original post by string_bean_jean

My Deloitte application went very similarly, apart from with them it takes even longer to progress to interview stage, so even more time to prepare. In the end I had my PwC & Deloitte final interviews back to back so was able to prepare for them both simultaneously.

Many people who were applying at the same time last year experienced really frustrating delays with getting partner interviews arranged so there could be quite a significant gap before that...

I applied to a regional office so I presume that in terms of the time-scale the whole process was a bit more relaxed than it would be for London. I applied for all the firms in early September.

Hey, I'm going to be away for 3 weeks from 20th August. Based from your experience (or anyone elses) do you think I should submit an application to Deloitte now, or wait until I come back early/mid sept? This is for a graduate tax position in London. Same goes for E&Y when their vacancies open. I don't want any stages to be disrupted, and I know sometimes they can't offer alternative dates.

/

Also to anyone else, I received 40% in an Introductory Management Accounting in my first year. Will this really dampen my chances if they see this? From my pov, it didn't reflect lack of understanding etc. but I wasn't really on the ball in my first year (I will spin this out another way if asked in an interview). So I don't want it to seem as if I'm not going to be able to handle the basics of the subject area.

Just on the Deloitte application now and it says uploading a cv is non-mandatory. Is it best that I upload one? Everything on mine has pretty much been said on the site application apart from a few minor achievements and a language, so not sure if it's worth adding?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Ent24
Hey, I'm going to be away for 3 weeks from 20th August. Based from your experience (or anyone elses) do you think I should submit an application to Deloitte now, or wait until I come back early/mid sept? This is for a graduate tax position in London. Same goes for E&Y when their vacancies open. I don't want any stages to be disrupted, and I know sometimes they can't offer alternative dates.

/

Also to anyone else, I received 40% in an Introductory Management Accounting in my first year. Will this really dampen my chances if they see this? From my pov, it didn't reflect lack of understanding etc. but I wasn't really on the ball in my first year (I will spin this out another way if asked in an interview). So I don't want it to seem as if I'm not going to be able to handle the basics of the subject area.

Just on the Deloitte application now and it says uploading a cv is non-mandatory. Is it best that I upload one? Everything on mine has pretty much been said on the site application apart from a few minor achievements and a language, so not sure if it's worth adding?

Deloitte don't ask for individual module grades.
You don't get 'penalised' for not uploading a CV I don't think, well it hasn't mattered to anyone I know.
Original post by Ent24

/

I'm afraid I really don't know what is best in your situation - to submit your applications ASAP or to wait.

As for Deloitte, I didn't include my CV.
Reply 86
No worries, will submit my application tomorrow and hope things run fairly quick. I reckon if E&Y don't open their vacancies in the next two weeks I'll wait till Sept and use the time to make sure that I'm well prepared.
Original post by string_bean_jean

The Big4 applications were a joy in comparison to the medium-sized once like GT, BDO etc... Filling in those application questions took forever and was just really annoying!

Thanks, this was very helpful. Were there any sites you used for practising psychometric tests? I find the ones provided by the firms to be borderline useless, as they often don't mirror the questions asked in the test itself. Once you know which equations to use they are fine, but the practice tests are often at odds with the actual test. I remember someone mentioned a website that offers access to practice tests based on the ones the firms actually use for like £10 or so. KPMG's are definitely the worst, but I did well on those last time. Still, I'd need to practise them a bit before doing them as it's been over a year since I last did.

Also, does anyone know how direct tax compares to indirect tax as a business line?

I am tempted by the corporate finance programmes but from what I understand you can always get exposure to this line later on in your career.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
I remember someone mentioned a website that offers access to practice tests based on the ones the firms actually use for like £10 or so. KPMG's are definitely the worst, but I did well on those last time. Still, I'd need to practise them a bit before doing them as it's been over a year since I last did.

I've used the tests provided by www.assessmentday.co.uk - I can't verify their similarity to specific firms but apparently they mirror the main SHL type format.
Reply 89
Hi, I've only just found out about the KPMG school leavers programme so I'm pretty clueless on it at the minute. If anybody has been given any advice or information on it please would you be able to answer any of my questions from the link below or just give me any information that may help? Thank you!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43420477&highlight=
Reply 90
Original post by TCA2b
Thanks, this was very helpful. Were there any sites you used for practising psychometric tests? I find the ones provided by the firms to be borderline useless, as they often don't mirror the questions asked in the test itself. Once you know which equations to use they are fine, but the practice tests are often at odds with the actual test. I remember someone mentioned a website that offers access to practice tests based on the ones the firms actually use for like £10 or so. KPMG's are definitely the worst, but I did well on those last time. Still, I'd need to practise them a bit before doing them as it's been over a year since I last did.

Also, does anyone know how direct tax compares to indirect tax as a business line?

I am tempted by the corporate finance programmes but from what I understand you can always get exposure to this line later on in your career.

If you're looking to go into consulting or join the big banks in M&A and the sort, it's been said by many that corporate finance is the best place to start if you are gonna join a big4. Why? Because you get more exposure early on and you won't have to fight with all the audit leavers for positions as you'd already have relevant experience.

That being said CF is more competitive.
Original post by TCA2b

Hey, I bought the http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/ bundle package and found it really useful. Besides that I practised with the free SHL ones.
Yeah, thanks, the prices seem reasonable too.

Original post by noone29
If you're looking to go into consulting or join the big banks in M&A and the sort, it's been said by many that corporate finance is the best place to start if you are gonna join a big4. Why? Because you get more exposure early on and you won't have to fight with all the audit leavers for positions as you'd already have relevant experience.

That being said CF is more competitive.

To be honest, it is more out of a personal interest, to improve my own ability to assess investments. I'd need to go to London to pursue a career in that area, and it's not something I am really keen on, and also it raises the bar for entering the firms. What I might do is apply for CF with one of the Big Four, and go for tax with the rest.
Reply 93
Original post by TCA2b
Yeah, thanks, the prices seem reasonable too.

To be honest, it is more out of a personal interest, to improve my own ability to assess investments. I'd need to go to London to pursue a career in that area, and it's not something I am really keen on, and also it raises the bar for entering the firms. What I might do is apply for CF with one of the Big Four, and go for tax with the rest.

Going for tax and corporate finance is two very very different things =p but why not hey, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I've already sent off my apps for Deloitte, KPMG and EY. Got rejected after the verbal and numerical for KPMG (bladdy hard!) but through to the E-tray for Deloitte and the tests for EY. Can't seem to access my test though for EY! =/
Original post by Over2you
I've already sent off my apps for Deloitte, KPMG and EY. Got rejected after the verbal and numerical for KPMG (bladdy hard!) but through to the E-tray for Deloitte and the tests for EY. Can't seem to access my test though for EY! =/

What position did you apply for?
Original post by Over2you

If you think the KPMG tests are hard, Deloitte's e-tray will be quite a shock
Reply 97
Original post by Hedgeman49
If you think the KPMG tests are hard, Deloitte's e-tray will be quite a shock

For Deloitte's e-tray, do you do it in your own time or do you have to go to a Deloitte office?
Original post by bigmoney
For Deloitte's e-tray, do you do it in your own time or do you have to go to a Deloitte office?

Do it at home. You used to do it in the office but they moved to online last year.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
What is so hard about it? Calculations? The tasks? Time pressure?

Time.

In my experience the first part is pretty easy. You're just going through emails and clicking a multiple choice box. Not much pressure time or difficulty wise.

The second part however, you get a lot more information and you have to analyse it and write recommendations. You will fail if you just regurgitate the numbers, you have to manipulate them to favour your argument. You cannot make more than a handful of grammatical errors either or you will fail.

With the second part the time can whittle away so quickly if you're not very careful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending