The Student Room Group

University interviews, piercings?

Hey everyone, just a really quick question. Apologies if it's been asked/answered elsewhere or if this is the wrong section.

I hear from my parents and some teachers that things like dyed hair and piercings are frowned upon at interviews, but this is 2013.

Is this still an issue I need to consider when going for interviews to (I hope) good universities? I have an eyebrow piercing, will that need to come out?
Original post by Jampot11
Hey everyone, just a really quick question. Apologies if it's been asked/answered elsewhere or if this is the wrong section.

I hear from my parents and some teachers that things like dyed hair and piercings are frowned upon at interviews, but this is 2013.

Is this still an issue I need to consider when going for interviews to (I hope) good universities? I have an eyebrow piercing, will that need to come out?

If you plan to do so something like nursing, then yes. You have to follow the same rules as members of the profession. If you plan to do history, no. If you plan to do a lab-based subject there may be specific 'elf n'safety rules.
Reply 2
You say 'good' universities. I think its more how the uni sees itself. How does it protray itself?

It shouldnt matter but if you're worried check the websites/prospectuses have they got lots of people with pink hair and piercing -therefore going for the 'we like trendy people' look or are all the photos of smiley plain janes?

Really it'll be about your academics and your personality but if it makes you feel more at ease to fit their image you might come accross more natural in an interview.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zonkfrog
You say 'good' universities. I think its more how the uni sees itself. How does it protray itself?

It shouldnt matter but if you're worried check the websites/prospectuses have they got lots of people with pink hair and piercing -therefore going for the 'we like trendy people' look or are all the photos of smiley plain janes?

Really it'll be about your academics and your personality but if it makes you feel more at ease to fit their image you might come accross more natural in an interview.

Good luck :smile:

I don't think they give much of a monkeys tbh. The main effect of neon hair or face piercings will be to limit your chances of getting a pt job at morrisons imo.
If you visit the department during term you'll get an idea of the neon hair factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending