The Student Room Group

Why are Universities in Extra

that I thought are in high demand?

For example, Leeds and York have stated that the applicant to place ratio is about 7 or 8 to 1, and they still had places in Clearing a couple years back (but wouldn't lower their entry requirements). And this year they're both in Extra (this is for BSc Physics btw)...why?

I thought if a Uni hasn't had enough applications from people meeting the entry requirements, they would be in Extra. But does it mean that these Unis have had enough applications but fewer people have firmed them than there are places? If so, what are my chances (I don't have the entry requirements in terms of A Levels but did do a semester at Uni on the sameish course)?

Also, these Unis usually interview for this course...so what would Unis do in terms of late applicants? Do they not interview them? Are they a last resort? Could Unis reject all Extra/late applicants and then accept people through Clearing instead?
Original post by PhysicsGal
that I thought are in high demand?

For example, Leeds and York have stated that the applicant to place ratio is about 7 or 8 to 1, and they still had places in Clearing a couple years back (but wouldn't lower their entry requirements). And this year they're both in Extra (this is for BSc Physics btw)...why?

I thought if a Uni hasn't had enough applications from people meeting the entry requirements, they would be in Extra. But does it mean that these Unis have had enough applications but fewer people have firmed them than there are places? If so, what are my chances (I don't have the entry requirements in terms of A Levels but did do a semester at Uni on the sameish course)?

Also, these Unis usually interview for this course...so what would Unis do in terms of late applicants? Do they not interview them? Are they a last resort? Could Unis reject all Extra/late applicants and then accept people through Clearing instead?

If the course contains material that requires an A in A-level Physics to understand, what is the point in accepting a student with a B just to fill a place? You seem to have neglected the fact that not only are grade offers used to make the course exclusive, they are also used to guarantee a level of academic ability.

A course may have 8 applicants to a place but if 7 of those are crappy then your course is unlikely to get full.

There are a number of factors that can lead to a course entering Extra / Clearing. Low offer : firm ratio could be one but only that uni's admissions department will know for sure.
Reply 2
Original post by Hedgeman49
If the course contains material that requires an A in A-level Physics to understand, what is the point in accepting a student with a B just to fill a place? You seem to have neglected the fact that not only are grade offers used to make the course exclusive, they are also used to guarantee a level of academic ability.

A course may have 8 applicants to a place but if 7 of those are crappy then your course is unlikely to get full.

There are a number of factors that can lead to a course entering Extra / Clearing. Low offer : firm ratio could be one but only that uni's admissions department will know for sure.

I thought Universities got fines for unused places, so they would rather fill it with a student just below requirements that shows potential in other ways, than leave it empty, that's all :smile:
Reply 3
Unis have to opt out of UCAS Extra. Telling UCAS that they don't want to be in Extra is something that isn't particularly high on many universities list of priorities. Because it is an opt out system the lists are not accurate. So some courses on the list may not actually have spaces. This is why it is really important to contact a university before applying to check that they will still accept applications.
Reply 4
I thought Universities got fines for unused places, so they would rather fill it with a student just below requirements that shows potential in other ways, than leave it empty, that's all :smile:

Unis don't want students to drop out as that will make their course look bad. So they won't accept just anyone to make up the numbers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I thought Universities got fines for unused places, so they would rather fill it with a student just below requirements that shows potential in other ways, than leave it empty, that's all

example with made up numbers

50 places
350 applicants
250 applicants declined because they do not have good enough predictions/strong PS

100 offers made

understanding that some of the 100 will fail to meet the offer and that some will go elsewhere
knowledge that more than 50 places can be used if the candidates are ABB or better

why not look in Extra to see if there are any more suitable candidates
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Original post by Zottula
Unis have to opt out of UCAS Extra. Telling UCAS that they don't want to be in Extra is something that isn't particularly high on many universities list of priorities. Because it is an opt out system the lists are not accurate. So some courses on the list may not actually have spaces. This is why it is really important to contact a university before applying to check that they will still accept applications.

Ohh woah I didn't realise that at all :s-smilie: Obvs it's a bit too late to contanct anyone now :/

I know I almost defo. will get a place at Salford because I contacted them and they sounded sure of it (don't wanna be cocky though, hence applying to 4 other places with lower and higher requirements), so that's fine. I also contacted Liverpool and they said they'll consider it on a case by case basis (so I guess they're genuinely in Extra). If I just apply to Unis that have courses in extra, whether I contacted them or not, how will it work for me? I'm a late applicant - as in I didn't submit an application to UCAS yet (got like 11 hours left to do so!!)...so I'm not technically applying in the Extra system but just in the general system if that makes sense.

Thanks ^^
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Ohh woah I didn't realise that at all :s-smilie: Obvs it's a bit too late to contanct anyone now :/

I know I almost defo. will get a place at Salford because I contacted them and they sounded sure of it (don't wanna be cocky though, hence applying to 4 other places with lower and higher requirements), so that's fine. I also contacted Liverpool and they said they'll consider it on a case by case basis (so I guess they're genuinely in Extra). If I just apply to Unis that have courses in extra, whether I contacted them or not, how will it work for me? I'm a late applicant - as in I didn't submit an application to UCAS yet (got like 11 hours left to do so!!)...so I'm not technically applying in the Extra system but just in the general system if that makes sense.

Thanks ^^

Well, as a late applicant unis don't have to consider you. However, if they have room they probably will consider you. This doesn't mean you'll definitely get an offer, but hopefully you're applying to courses you meet the requirements for so it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
Well, as a late applicant unis don't have to consider you. However, if they have room they probably will consider you. This doesn't mean you'll definitely get an offer, but hopefully you're applying to courses you meet the requirements for so it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm applying for some lower than the A Levels I got, and aiming high to aha but that's just so I don't regret atleast trying :smile: I can always go through Clearing if this doesn't work. Hopefully something'll work out though!

I know I almost defo. will get a place at Salford

When did you contact Salford? Was it before or after they did to their course list what General Sherman did to Georgia?
Reply 10
Original post by nulli tertius
When did you contact Salford? Was it before or after they did to their course list what General Sherman did to Georgia?

Woah I am so confused by the latter part of your post O.O

I contacted them in mid-May :smile:
Woah I am so confused by the latter part of your post O.O

I contacted them in mid-May :smile:

Salford has adopted a slash and burn approach to many courses. Remember the end of Gone With the Wind for Sherman. Salford announced its course cancellations in June. Check what you want to do is still alive. Physics doesn't look obviously at risk

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/salford-culls-courses-to-secure-future/2004425.article
Reply 12
Original post by nulli tertius
Salford has adopted a slash and burn approach to many courses. Remember the end of Gone With the Wind for Sherman. Salford announced its course cancellations in June. Check what you want to do is still alive. Physics doesn't look obviously at risk

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/salford-culls-courses-to-secure-future/2004425.article

Oh yeah I heard about that :P That's one of the things putting me off from just solely applying to Salford :/

But yeah, as you say Physics is not at risk - they have too much of an investment in and need for the Physics courses to slash them, which is good news for me I hope!
Original post by Hedgeman49
If the course contains material that requires an A in A-level Physics to understand, what is the point in accepting a student with a B just to fill a place? You seem to have neglected the fact that not only are grade offers used to make the course exclusive, they are also used to guarantee a level of academic ability

Puhlease, you say that as if what might be 79% to someone's 81% is literally the ability gap between GCSE's and A-Levels. Besides, it's been long known that grade requirements often indicate the popularity of the course and the need to cull the amount of applicants more so than the actual quality, giving some unis in popular hotspots an inflated requirements and reputation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JakeyKakey
Puhlease, you say that as if what might be 79% to someone's 81% is literally the ability gap between GCSE's and A-Levels. Besides, it's been long known that grade requirements often indicate the popularity of the course and the need to cull the amount of applicants more so than the actual quality, giving some unis in popular hotspots an inflated requirements and reputation.

Yes... but the primary function of grade requirements is to set an academic level.

Whilst the difference between an A and a B may be 2%, the mean difference is likely actually in the region of 15%. This is not negligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending