The Student Room Group

Aeronautical Engineering, go into investment banking?

Hi,

I have a strong passion for aeronautical engineering over other types of engineering, but if job prospects are bleak, I want to be able to go into investment banking.

Is there a better type of engineering to select in order to be able to get a job in investment banking?

I am applying for top universities i.e) Cambridge, Imperial e.t.c
Reply 1
[QUOTE=SillyEddy;43363363]All engineering subjects are basically the same. There may be slight differences in topics covered, but many are interchangeable. Some are only different by 2-3 modules (pretty much reworded versions at that) out of the 18 that you'd typically take.

Study engineering because you want to be an engineer. If you want to go into banking, study that instead!

No. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Engineering Mathematics will allow you to be extremely proficient at using Matlab, Maple or whatever mathematics programme your university uses. You'll have skills to develop mathematical solutions to problems which other engineers will not have.

Mechanical engineering is more heavily involved with fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.

Aeronautical engineering is the main course for aerodynamics (including CFD) and high performance high strength/low weight materials which you won't see anywhere else really (F1?)

Civil Engineering covers a LOT of work of the foundations which I've not even had a 5 minute talk on.

Computer Science - You'll be coding non-stop in several languages. To an extent, other courses will do this but in Computer Science you'll be taught to code from scratch, you'll have an in depth knowledge of the logic of the code and gain confidence in using it which you simply will not get from other courses.

I also know a friend doing F1 engineering or something and I'm sure there are others.

So yes, the engineering courses are very different.
Reply 2
Original post by SillyEddy
All engineering subjects are basically the same. There may be slight differences in topics covered, but many are interchangeable. Some are only different by 2-3 modules (pretty much reworded versions at that) out of the 18 that you'd typically take.

Study engineering because you want to be an engineer. If you want to go into banking, study that instead!

To be honest in the finance industry employers like people with engineering degrees as they have a more broad skill sets. I know a few people doing civil engineering that have jobs lined up in banking, generally people who do an engineering degree who are not intrested in a career in engineering go into finance.

Plus see the post above regarding your point that engineering subjects are the same, that may have similar modules but they are still very different disciplines.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest