The Student Room Group

Anyone miss Messi?

I fell in love with Messi when he was on the right wing for Barca. His dribbling, vision, passing and work rate was mesmerizing to watch. Even when C.Ronaldo won the Ballon D'or, I told my mates that I thought Messi was the best player in the world. They thought I was nuts. But eventually, they came to realise why I was adamant about the superiority of Messi over the likes of Ronaldo.

Initially when Messi was converted to a false no.9, I was proud of Pep for it. Messi took all the ability he had displayed on the wing and took things a step further to become a world class forward. It was new and innovatory at first. But after some time, Messi has begun to bore me a bit in the false no.9. His dribbling is still great but is nowhere near as exciting as when he was winger (which is to be expected since dribbling is more important as a winger than as a striker). His work rate is not as good as when he was a winger (which is understandable since he would need to conserve energy to fulfill his goalscoring and playmaking responsibility).

Although, Messi's finishing has reached new heights in the false no.9, it doesn't do anything for me anymore. There's more to football than just goals imo. If goals was all I cared about, I would be a C.Ronaldo fanboy. I miss when Messi used to cut in from the right wing and dribble his way through 4-5 players and either set someone up or curl the ball into the back of the net. Also, I feel Barca have based their system completely on Messi to the extent that when Messi doesn't play or is not on form, they often look clueless when it comes to the final third.

I have felt for a long time that it would be a great idea if Barca got a proper no.9 and occasionally play Messi on the right wing to make Barca less predictable for the opponents and as a plan B when plan A isn't working.

Don't get me wrong. Messi's still the best player in the world. But does anyone sometimes miss the old exciting Messi when he was a right winger?
(edited 10 years ago)
With the arrival of Neymar and Pedro continuing to grow as a player I cannot see Messi going back to the right wing position, his goal scoring ability has pretty much established his centre forward role at Barcelona. What position has Messi been playing for his recent games for Barcelona?
Reply 2
Original post by pinda.college
With the arrival of Neymar and Pedro continuing to grow as a player I cannot see Messi going back to the right wing position, his goal scoring ability has pretty much established his centre forward role at Barcelona.

Yeah. But I miss seeing Messi on the wing :frown:

Although, it would be interesting to see whether Tito can get Neymar, Messi & Pedro/Sanchez to play as a fluid front 3, constantly exchanging positions. A bit similar to Barca in 2011 (Villa-Messi-Pedro).
What position has Messi been playing for his recent games for Barcelona?

Not sure. Last game I watched of Barca was against B.Munchen. And Messi was playing his usual false no.9.
Original post by Cable
Yeah. But I miss seeing Messi on the wing :frown:

Although, it would be interesting to see whether Tito can get Neymar, Messi & Pedro/Sanchez to play as a fluid front 3, constantly exchanging positions. A bit similar to Barca in 2011 (Villa-Messi-Pedro).

Not sure. Last game I watched of Barca was against B.Munchen. And Messi was playing his usual false no.9.

Sorry I meant Argentina...
Reply 4
Original post by pinda.college
Sorry I meant Argentina...

Ah. I haven't followed Argentina. So I wouldn't know.
Original post by Cable
Ah. I haven't followed Argentina. So I wouldn't know.

CAM pretty much trying to link that midfield and attack.
One could say the same about Cristiano Ronaldo. When he was at Manchester United, he would do a ton of fancy tricks and run round a load of players.

However, running around players isn't that efficient. Messi and Ronaldo have stripped out most of the inefficient stuff in their game and now just score like robots. Why attempt to run past three players when you can just slot it into the top corner with an exquisite finish? Plus, they've received the respect of their team mates, so they know if they're in a good position to score, they will be given the ball. This is what Neymar has to learn if he ever wants to become the greatest player in the world.

But to answer your question, yes I do miss Messi (and Ronaldo) making those beautiful runs that would tear a defence to pieces. But if I was a Barcelona fan, I'm sure I'd be happy with Messi scoring 50/60/70+ goals a season instead.
Reply 7
The thing with Barca's false number 9 system is that Messi has the freedom to do anything he wants on the pitch. Maybe not in the CL, but if you watch Barca's La Liga matches you see him playing as a winger for portions of the game
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Malevolent
CAM pretty much trying to link that midfield and attack.

Ok thanks.

I remember that he pretty much played that role for Argie in the previous World Cup and was brilliant. He just couldn't score for some reason. I'm still mad at Maradona for not including the legend Zanetti in the World Cup squad. He would have been very helpful to the team with his ability and experience.

Btw, forget what I said about Messi's passing being better when he was a winger. His passing definitely improved when he became a false no.9.
Reply 9
Original post by Cable
I fell in love with Messi when he was on the right wing for Barca. His dribbling, vision, passing and work rate was mesmerizing to watch. Even when C.Ronaldo won the Ballon D'or, I told my mates that I thought Messi was the best player in the world. They thought I was nuts. But eventually, they came to realise why I was adamant about the superiority of Messi over the likes of Ronaldo.

Initially when Messi was converted to a false no.9, I was proud of Pep for it. Messi took all the ability he had displayed on the wing and took things a step further to become a world class forward. It was new and innovatory at first. But after some time, Messi has begun to bore me a bit in the false no.9. His dribbling is still great but is nowhere near as exciting as when he was winger (which is to be expected since dribbling is more important as a winger than as a striker). His work rate is not as good as when he was a winger (which is understandable since he would need to conserve energy to fulfill his goalscoring and playmaking responsibility).

Although, Messi's finishing and passing have reached new heights in the false no.9, it doesn't do anything for me anymore. There's more to football than just goals imo. If goals was all I cared about, I would be a C.Ronaldo fanboy. I miss when Messi used to cut in from the right wing and dribble his way through 4-5 players and either set someone up or curl the ball into the back of the net. Also, I feel Barca have based their system completely on Messi to the extent that when Messi doesn't play or is not on form, they often look clueless when it comes to the final third.

I have felt for a long time that it would be a great idea if Barca got a proper no.9 and occasionally play Messi on the right wing to make Barca less predictable for the opponents and as a plan B when plan A isn't working.

Don't get me wrong. Messi's still the best player in the world. But does anyone sometimes miss the old exciting Messi when he was a right winger?

Yes. The last goal Messi scored that was even vaguely close to that Getafe goal that I remember was his hat-trick goal in the friendly against Brazil, which - interestingly - begun from the right wing. I don't know, Messi is still by far the best footballer around and part of that is his astonishing scoring rate, but I do know what you mean. He seems to drift in and out of games more and more. On one hand, that makes it especially impressive that he makes so many decisive contributions, but on the other we miss seeing his talents displayed to the full.
Reply 10
Tbh as Messi improved and got the reputation as a brilliant winger/forward, it was always going to become harder and harder for him to continue doing that. No one was going to mark him closely since he'd skip past them and no team will leave just one man to mark him. On top of that, opposition teams continued to sit deeper and deeper against Barcelona meaning less space for him to run at and skip past players.

Yes it has been facilitated by Messi becoming a false no.9 but the opposition and tactics deployed against him are also important factors to consider. Messi still displays mind boggling control and touch on the ball, he now just does it closer to goal and in a tighter space instead of on the run with the ball.
Seems they stripped Ronaldo and Messi of their tricks now they're just direct and cut out everything else. :sad:
Reply 12
Original post by KingMessi
Yes. The last goal Messi scored that was even vaguely close to that Getafe goal that I remember was his hat-trick goal in the friendly against Brazil, which - interestingly - begun from the right wing. I don't know, Messi is still by far the best footballer around and part of that is his astonishing scoring rate, but I do know what you mean. He seems to drift in and out of games more and more. On one hand, that makes it especially impressive that he makes so many decisive contributions, but on the other we miss seeing his talents displayed to the full.

Glad you know what I mean.

Original post by Malevolent

KingMessi and Malevolent, would you like to see Iniesta playing nearly all games in central midfield for Barca instead of the wing?

I have always felt that his best position is central midfield with the licence to go forward and create chances. It's no surprise that Barca were at their best when Iniesta partnered Xavi in central midfield. But since Iniesta has been playing more games on the wing, their dominance has gradually dwindled.

What are your thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by BallonD'or
The thing with Barca's false number 9 system is that Messi has the freedom to do anything he wants on the pitch. Maybe not in the CL, but if you watch Barca's La Liga matches you see him playing as a winger for portions of the game

Yeah, with the freedom Messi has, he does spend some time on the wing during matches. But I miss the times when he would spend most of his time on the wing. And he doesn't do as much dribbling from the wing as he used to in the past. More of his dribbling is through the middle these days and is not as exciting as when he used to dribble from the wing.

To get an idea of the old exciting Messi I'm talking about, watch the videos below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcP9c0IZL4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoKtNZjBZHM&list=PLHO0uUBLdNWX_4wfwnkjosJgh1SJVjsAt&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDK6WCkbv7Q&list=PLHO0uUBLdNWX_4wfwnkjosJgh1SJVjsAt&index=7

But don't get me wrong. Messi is still great to watch and is the best player in the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Pretty much agree with what others have said about Messi and his old wing position but I would, in times of when Barca are requiring a goal or needing something else and with the signing of Neymar, to possibly say to Messi: "OK, for the next ten minutes just move onto the wing and burst inwards or outwards, see if anything happens" and shove Neymar up front. This would only cause abit of confusion for the opposition and will mean more concern provided for Messi that would otherwise go elsewhere. This is only a short-term solution in a match I'm suggesting here, not a permanent one. That would be insane considering Leo's strike rate.

Quick Reply

Latest