The Student Room Group

i work out lots yet still have big thighs and hips

Hey everyone! So I work out between 3-4 times a week at the gym for about an hour sometimes more and my problem has always been my legs. My parents keep saying there's nothing wrong with me but I saw these photo of me from today and I can see my legs aren't that fab, plus if you look at them i have quite curvy hips that stick out in my mind... :/ Does anyonee have any tips? Here are the pictures I'm on about.

021.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JolieLRmurrell
Hey everyone! So I work out between 3-4 times a week at the gym for about an hour sometimes more and my problem has always been my legs. My parents keep saying there's nothing wrong with me but I saw these photo of me from today and I can see my legs aren't that fab, plus if you look at them i have quite curvy hips that stick out in my mind... :/ Does anyonee have any tips? Here are the pictures I'm on about.

You can't just lose weight on your thighs, you have to lose weight all over. Read the stickies.
What's wrong with curvy hips??, your legs look great so keep working out.

Squats are a great leg exercise and maybe check your diet but.. i really don't thinks there's any issue honest.
Reply 3
Original post by kinghassan78
What's wrong with curvy hips??, your legs look great so keep working out.

Squats are a great leg exercise and maybe check your diet but.. i really don't thinks there's any issue honest.

I just thought they looked odd how they stick out a little more haha. Thanks :wink: I'm currently doing the squat challenge and up to 130 squats....so i'll keep going on that :smile: My legs are the one thing i dislike the most
You're slightly bigger than me, but I have the same body type as you. My waist/shoulders look tiny in comparison to my thighs/hips.

There's nothing you can do really. Like the person above me said, if you want to lose weight on your hips then you'll also have to lose weight all over, but if you have the same body type as mine (which you seem to) then the thigh to waist ratio would still stay quite large.

I persnally wouldn't/am not worried about it, because I think it looks fine and it also isn't unhealthy. In fact, people who accumulate more fat around their thighs rather than their abdomen have substantially lower risk of heart disease than other people (which is part of the reason why women live longer than men - they have more fat accumulation around their thighs to accommodate a potential baby).
Reply 5
wahhh <3 whats wrong with curvy hips eye :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Dragonfly07
You're slightly bigger than me, but I have the same body type as you. My waist/shoulders look tiny in comparison to my thighs/hips.

There's nothing you can do really. Like the person above me said, if you want to lose weight on your hips then you'll also have to lose weight all over, but if you have the same body type as mine (which you seem to) then the thigh to waist ratio would still stay quite large.

I persnally wouldn't/am not worried about it, because I think it looks fine and it also isn't unhealthy. In fact, people who accumulate more fat around their thighs rather than their abdomen have substantially lower risk of heart disease than other people (which is part of the reason why women live longer than men - they have more fat accumulation around their thighs to accommodate a potential baby).

Yeah my stomach is flat.... its just i wanted it all to like come of my legs really....isn't it the pear shape or something which makes us this type of shape? I went from a size 14 to a size 8-10 these past two years.
Reply 7

021.jpg

I think you look lovely. ;-). as long as it's firm it's all good. Do you cycle... it's great for building leg muscle. have fun with it
Reply 8
Original post by Ireland6
I think you look lovely. ;-). as long as it's firm it's all good. Do you cycle... it's great for building leg muscle. have fun with it

Well I do 10minutes on a hill climb at the gym on the cycle machine. Then on an AMT machine i do 15minutes and then treadmill ten minutes on a steep hill. It's mostly firm although i have a little cellulite not much but i can't budge that either :frown:

How tall are you?
Original post by technetium
how tall are you?

5'8 :smile:

Ahh okay, a friend of mine is 5"11 and she has the same problem; because you are quite tall your weight spreads out all over and when you lose weight its not as noticeable until you lose quite a bit. I'd recommend doing some cardio workouts perhaps try Zumba? Its been working for her, and she has been able to slim down her thighs alongside other parts of her body :smile:
Original post by Technetium

Ahh okay, a friend of mine is 5"11 and she has the same problem; because you are quite tall your weight spreads out all over and when you lose weight its not as noticeable until you lose quite a bit. I'd recommend doing some cardio workouts perhaps try Zumba? Its been working for her, and she has been able to slim down her thighs alongside other parts of her body :smile:

I was looking into zumba! I didn't know it done that for your legs though had heard quite a few reports thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Well I do 10minutes on a hill climb at the gym on the cycle machine. Then on an AMT machine i do 15minutes and then treadmill ten minutes on a steep hill. It's mostly firm although i have a little cellulite not much but i can't budge that either :frown:

If you can get someone to go with you you'll get great value out of cycling. It's cardio that directly train an awful lot of you leg muscles. the other person should be a similar fitness level and you'll drive each other on. If you live in liverpool or london i can also throughly recommend Saeed Olayiwola's bootcamp. we all train hard and try to have some fun too!

021.jpg

Honestly I think that you have great looking legs, I guess you're wearing trousers so it's hard to tell 100% but from the looks of it you're slim and have good curves that aren't disproportional so... I'm with your parents on this one. But as always if you are unhappy then that's what matters so do whatever you think!
Reply 15
I just thought they looked odd how they stick out a little more haha. Thanks :wink: I'm currently doing the squat challenge and up to 130 squats....so i'll keep going on that :smile: My legs are the one thing i dislike the most

You do understand that with squats, you build leg muscles which will actually end up probably rather increasing your leg size, right?

Not that anything's wrong with that, your legs are perfect. :colone:

Still, I hope you don't have the misconception that you can spot-reduce fat.
Reply 16
Original post by Ireland6

lol @ cycling building muscle

don't think so tim
Reply 17
It's all in your head.

If anything it's time to do more lifting.

Squat challenge is a load of *******s, get in the gym and put some weight on your back.
Reply 19

021.jpg

You look lovely :smile: I don't think you need to worry, but if you want to loose weight on them it's better to diet and do light exercise instead of just toning them with exercise- which turns the muscle into fat instead of loosing the fat (from what i know) :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest