The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine at VFU Brno

A thread for people who want to or are considering VFU Brno... Considering Warsaw and Kosice both have one! (I felt left out)

My name is Fabian, I am British and I am starting 2nd year (i just passed my last histology first year exam a few days ago :wink:) at VFU.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Here to help!

Fabian

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello :smile: ... thinking of going to brno for this ... i am slovak but would study in english ... - what are the entrance exams like ? .. how many people apply etc ? also info if you have startd at a different university and are thinking of changing to this one ? ... all information would be helpful..
lots of thanks in advance .. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by smile...ley
hello :smile: ... thinking of going to brno for this ... i am slovak but would study in english ... - what are the entrance exams like ? .. how many people apply etc ? also info if you have startd at a different university and are thinking of changing to this one ? ... all information would be helpful..
lots of thanks in advance .. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Entrance exams are not easy but not too hard either. Depends on how much biology and chemistry you've done before. I don't know how many apply but I think it is pretty decent chance of getting in :smile: just try.

I did one year at bio veterinary at Lincoln before I moved here. Best decision ever. If you come with a list of questions, I can answer them as fully as possible. The more you ask the more I can answer.

:smile:
What made you choose to study abroad? :smile:
I'm currently at Lincoln doing bioveterinary!
I have lots of questions too, I apologise!
How long is the course, what are the classes like and accommodation?
Also how much does it cost roughly with tuition fees, living etc...
And are you enjoying the course? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
The quality of teaching, the absolutely ridiculous reasons for saying you aren't going to be a vet in UK... The price... The international accreditation possibility in process... The lifestyle...international friends... The opportunity to not wait an extra 2 years after doing my first...

Shall I go on :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by NicolaMichelle
I'm currently at Lincoln doing bioveterinary!
I have lots of questions too, I apologise!
How long is the course, what are the classes like and accommodation?
Also how much does it cost roughly with tuition fees, living etc...
And are you enjoying the course? :smile:

Well the course is basic 6 years but.... I did a year at biovet and got 3 subjects recognised but could have got 5 or 6 had I known how to get things recognised haha. So I could have cut half a year off...

Classes are dependant but largely really good. Anatomy is fantastic but its my favourite so... I could write an essay on each class. The main classes of first year are very thorough. More so then what friends of people in first year at British unis are doing, so I've. Been told. The sy

Tuition a year is 7000 Ish Euros I think not including the registration fee. It may have gone up but ring the university for confirmation. :smile: living is amazing price wise... I was due to pay for a studio room in Lincoln accommodation at 400 pounds a month. For the same price I live in a veryyyyyy spacious one bedroom flat. Czech is about a third to half price on a lot of things. The tram system is unreal. 22 pounds gets you a 3 month tram and bus pass for most of Brno. And its reliable to a minute. And regular.

Loving the course. I've just finished 1st year and if i was given a chance to move to UK I would definitely say no. All of the things I mentioned in my last post is why... How cool is to have a best friend from Sweden and another from Greece. :smile: The English of some teachers isn't always fantastic but they are czech, its all understandable but the quality of testing, the level of attainment, how much you have to work to achieve is so high.

Be under no illusions when you come here you have to really work but it produces some wonderful vets. I got a 1st (just) in my 1st year at Lincoln and i worked 3 times as hard here... I had a really good year here though :smile:. The year for international is 45 people only this year... And some have dropped out so its very focused and personal practicals. :smile:
Thank you for the reply, it sounds amazing! Glad your there to give a view point from a different overseas vet school!
I've unearthed a few more questions for you! (hope you don't mind)
How is travelling e.g flights and transfers? Where do you get it from and to?
Also if I finish my degree (1 year left) would I still need to sit an entrance exam?
Is the course accredited in the sense that you can work in the UK without exams?
That's it for now, promise xD

Reply 8
Thank you for the reply, it sounds amazing! Glad your there to give a view point from a different overseas vet school!
I've unearthed a few more questions for you! (hope you don't mind)
How is travelling e.g flights and transfers? Where do you get it from and to?
Also if I finish my degree (1 year left) would I still need to sit an entrance exam?
Is the course accredited in the sense that you can work in the UK without exams?
That's it for now, promise xD

Wait wait wait... I would be in the exact same year! I was a dreadlocked guy! :smile: depends... I go to London Luton... With Wizz air. Flights are about 50 pounds. That's to Brno. But Ryanair go to Brno as well from Stansted. But there is Prague and you can get a nice coach down... And its cheap.

Yes you will have to but it won't be too hard considering you will have done 3 years biology. You may want to review chemistry a level but you can ask for past papers. :smile:

Yes European accredited but they are applying for international accreditation.
Ah no way, I know who you are! Ha small world.
My plan is to go abroad for vet med if I can gather up enough money. Think the price for 6 years plus accommodation is a little, well, a lot more than I have in my bank atm!
How on earth did you pay for it all?
And Lincoln uni has changed a lot since you left, we've lost riseholme now :smile:

Reply 10
Thank you for starting a topic about this, Fabian!
Reply 11
The price is a lot cheaper then the UK in all respects. Food is a lot cheaper and you don't go out as much as you do in the UK. At all. In Freshers at Lincoln I may have gone out 13 times in about 15 days hahaha. Here I have been out 15 times in 10 months. I've almost lost my energy for it. You get a spare moment for free and you go for a meal and then a well deserved sleep. That's me anyway. I am Prague now, and have been doing all the cultural things and having couple glasses of wine and stumbling home at 11 whilst all the other people my age stumble towards the clubs hahaha.

I paid via savings and an ongoing paying system that I have in motion. I can't explain too deeply for obvious reasons. Its not easy but if I look at what I could/would be paying for living and accom and tuition at Lincoln or UK generally and what i would be paying for vet med under grad or even post grad.. There is no comparison.

I heard I heard. Lincoln was good to me its just presented an option like this, you have to take it and just run with it :smile: its nice that I am here and Brits (and Belgians) are able to get info, it was a pain in the arse getting it from the agent (no names *cough cough*), so be warned.

:smile:

Ah no way, I know who you are! Ha small world.
My plan is to go abroad for vet med if I can gather up enough money. Think the price for 6 years plus accommodation is a little, well, a lot more than I have in my bank atm!
How on earth did you pay for it all?
And Lincoln uni has changed a lot since you left, we've lost riseholme now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Awww. I only am doing it knowing that I would've really benefited from it so its not a problem. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through my ordeal. Hopefully when you get here and its a fresher experience, you will do the same and it continues onwards.

There is also the international student board guys. Google BVOIS vfu. It is some basic stuff. I am not convinced it has been updated anytime recently but worth a look. I very well might become a member next year... Its the official board for us to help us out and make anonymous complaints etc so you know what to look for if and when you do come out here.

Original post by Kaat
Thank you for starting a topic about this, Fabian!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Fabisherenow
Awww. I only am doing it knowing that I would've really benefited from it so its not a problem. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through my ordeal. Hopefully when you get here and its a fresher experience, you will do the same and it continues onwards.

There is also the international student board guys. Google BVOIS vfu. It is some basic stuff. I am not convinced it has been updated anytime recently but worth a look. I very well might become a member next year... Its the official board for us to help us out and make anonymous complaints etc so you know what to look for if and when you do come out here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a year late but, worth a try nonetheless! I'm sitting the entrances on the 20th of May, and I've already practiced the single practice paper that IMS (agent) has on their website. So, if possible could you procure any past entrance exam papers? I would like to be as well prepared as possible. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Mr Burns
I'm a year late but, worth a try nonetheless! I'm sitting the entrances on the 20th of May, and I've already practiced the single practice paper that IMS (agent) has on their website. So, if possible could you procure any past entrance exam papers? I would like to be as well prepared as possible. Thanks in advance!

I don't have any. I will email the school secretary. I found that studying chemistry was useful.. But some things aren't even a level... Like the chemical shape if citric acid or something obscure. Are you going for Brno only now?
Reply 15
I don't have any. I will email the school secretary. I found that studying chemistry was useful.. But some things aren't even a level... Like the chemical shape if citric acid or something obscure. Are you going for Brno only now?

Thank you for replying! After nagging you so much I thought you never would! :smile:

Well I paid for two universities only later did I discover that SGGW Warsaw has lost it's EAEVE accreditation recently, make the degree rather pointless. So only Brno. YES! The Chemistry is out of this ****ing world! :frown: Well, it's my only shot, so less complaining! Please let me know at the earliest! Thank you so much!
Thank you for replying! After nagging you so much I thought you never would! :smile:

Well I paid for two universities only later did I discover that SGGW Warsaw has lost it's EAEVE accreditation recently, make the degree rather pointless. So only Brno. YES! The Chemistry is out of this ****ing world! :frown: Well, it's my only shot, so less complaining! Please let me know at the earliest! Thank you so much!

That's interesting. What a shame for the Warsaw students. Esp. the final years. Yeah maybe 14-15 questions you should have an idea on. Also the first biology question will normally be like Leeunheok or Mendel or some important person in scientific history. Pasteur is another good choice. Make sure IMS have actually applied you to Brno, they tend to not be so good at finalising. And that you email Michaela Tichami, the school secretary to double check, regardless of what IMS say. She won't be in for this week so if no reply, email her on the 5th of May again.

I will email her and you email her asking for past papers and we'll see what we get.
Reply 17
That's interesting. What a shame for the Warsaw students. Esp. the final years. Yeah maybe 14-15 questions you should have an idea on. Also the first biology question will normally be like Leeunheok or Mendel or some important person in scientific history. Pasteur is another good choice. Make sure IMS have actually applied you to Brno, they tend to not be so good at finalising. And that you email Michaela Tichami, the school secretary to double check, regardless of what IMS say. She won't be in for this week so if no reply, email her on the 5th of May again.

I will email her and you email her asking for past papers and we'll see what we get.

Thank you taking the extra step, I really appreciate it, you're a swell person!
All right, noted, but I'm not a history buff, so I'll probably lose that mark, I understand the processes well. Well it's interesting that you mention her, yes In fact at one point when IMS hadn't replied two weeks after sending my app(VERY TARDY AGENT) I contacted Ms Ticha and she eventually got back to me saying that up until the entrance all the work lies with the agent. If I pass it, then they will review the exam. Since it's straight from the horse's mouth I can't really even ask her to check for my app until my entrance is done. I could mail her right now for entrances. I seem to have forgotten, which uni do you attend again-SGGW or Brno? I've also heard back from some students are SGGW, one by the name of Lydia, 2nd year.
Thank you taking the extra step, I really appreciate it, you're a swell person!
All right, noted, but I'm not a history buff, so I'll probably lose that mark, I understand the processes well. Well it's interesting that you mention her, yes In fact at one point when IMS hadn't replied two weeks after sending my app(VERY TARDY AGENT) I contacted Ms Ticha and she eventually got back to me saying that up until the entrance all the work lies with the agent. If I pass it, then they will review the exam. Since it's straight from the horse's mouth I can't really even ask her to check for my app until my entrance is done. I could mail her right now for entrances. I seem to have forgotten, which uni do you attend again-SGGW or Brno? I've also heard back from some students are SGGW, one by the name of Lydia, 2nd year.

I'm at Brno. Well neither was I but just know what they did. You don't need to know everything. Just pasteur, Fleming, Mendel, leewunhoek and a couple others. Give yourself an extra point. As for agent, I know, I had the same. So hopefully it isn't a problem.. But it wasn't a simple process via IMS at all.

Right well you email her as I will as well. See what happens. Good luck with your prep. :yy:
Reply 19
I'm at Brno. Well neither was I but just know what they did. You don't need to know everything. Just pasteur, Fleming, Mendel, leewunhoek and a couple others. Give yourself an extra point. As for agent, I know, I had the same. So hopefully it isn't a problem.. But it wasn't a simple process via IMS at all.

Right well you email her as I will as well. See what happens. Good luck with your prep. :yy:

Hmm okay, so I will earn that extra point, should googling the founding fathers of biology work...aaand it does! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_considered_father_or_mother_of_a_scientific_field#Biology)

When I said agent I meant IMS, they were a nightmare, I blew up a little recently and that's seemed to keep them replying (they pretty much ignored my earlier mails after a point). Probably because the payment was sent from my mother's email address.

Ahh I forgot about that, I will write to her and another person I got from the SGGW student. Thanks a lot! I would rep your post but the website won't let me!

Quick Reply

Latest