The Student Room Group

Suicide 'Attempts' - Genuine Intention or Seeking Attention?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rybee
Finally someone who understand where I'm coming from! I don't know whether it's true, but she claims to be diagnosed as a schizophrenic which kind of does stack up when you consider her personality.

lol no worries! I haven't made myself clear from the start of the thread, I should've just said it outright like that.

Exactly, people who go this far for attention still need help because they still have mental or personality issues. I don't necessarily want to judge the people you linked in the op, however, if we take each case into context, fry's story only came to light a year after his attempt and he only admitted it because he has been for years trying to raise awareness for bipolar and depressive disorders. But it took him a while to feel ready to admit to it and it still seems like a painful thing for him.

Paris jackson never told anyone, the media found out through gossip and rumors, since her attempt she hasn't even spoken to the media, not that she had spoken to them before. So you can't really comment on this.

The other two on the other hand, are slightly different. The girls story is confusing, it doesn't even seem clear if she made a suicide attempt or not, but she does claim to have depression. This mario guy however seems to be quite willing to talk about his suicide attempt fairly recently after it happened. Now obviously people deal with difficult situations in different ways, however, to go out on a public forum and tell the world about your suicide attempt so soon after it happened isn't the usual response. Most people that attempted suicide find it incredibly difficult to speak about it and admit to it long after it happened and even long after they are over that bout of depression and suicidal thoughts. Some people outright never speak a word of it to anyone if they possibly can because of the sheer pain it puts them through, however, this guy seems fairly keen to let everyone know what happened. Now again I'm not saying he's is looking for attention, however, it is easy to see why people may think this given the circuimstances. Then again this could all be another affect of a bipolar disorder where one minute he genuinely wants to commit suicide and the next due to his disorder feels the need to let everyone know about it for attention. :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rybee
I've had to read this like 3 times over to figure out what you mean :tongue:

I don't mean as in self harm... I'll use an example. I girl that I know took 40x500mg ACAP tablets with the full intention of not seeing it through. i.e. immediately after ingesting them, she went into her mums bedroom and told her what she'd just done, and then purposely vomited them all back up so as to avoid a genuine attempt. i.e. they've made it out as an 'attempted suicide' but knew full well from the start that they had no intention of seeing it through and were purposely doing it for attention.

This particular girl is renowned for doing time after time, purely to seek attention from her friends and family.

I'm just questioning what people on TSR think to someone doing that? I don't think I made myself clear from the start?

But that WAS self harm; it wasn't a suicide attempt, because she didn't intend to die. Unless you make an attempt with the sole intention of dying, it isn't an attempt. We certainly shouldn't trivialise self harming like that, as the person is obviously very desperate. However, for people who are suicidal that suffer silently, it must be very frustrating to see others who make these 'gestures' (which really is a serious form of self harm) and get attention (although many won't), while the person who really does intend to kill themselves at some point is left floundering. Either way, both people need help and support.

As far as I'm concerned, very few people who genuinely intend to die will survive...either that or they haven't thought it through properly and make mistakes.

Lastly, from what I have read it would seem Stephen Fry really did intend to kill himself....no one takes enough tablets to make them have a seizure and break several ribs without the intention of ending it all.
Reply 22
Original post by Rybee
I've had to read this like 3 times over to figure out what you mean :tongue:

I don't mean as in self harm... I'll use an example. I girl that I know took 40x500mg ACAP tablets with the full intention of not seeing it through. i.e. immediately after ingesting them, she went into her mums bedroom and told her what she'd just done, and then purposely vomited them all back up so as to avoid a genuine attempt. i.e. they've made it out as an 'attempted suicide' but knew full well from the start that they had no intention of seeing it through and were purposely doing it for attention.

This particular girl is renowned for doing time after time, purely to seek attention from her friends and family.

I'm just questioning what people on TSR think to someone doing that? I don't think I made myself clear from the start?

I think i confused myself too sorry about that!
Yes i do see what you mean now. I guess there are just different types of people, and some of those just actually want to seek attention. I'm not judging anyone but it may be because they think it's the only way to get that attention or whatever. Like someone was saying on here it may be due to a psychological disorder. I don't think i have an exact answer to your question though :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Lazuliblue
But that WAS self harm; it wasn't a suicide attempt, because she didn't intend to die. Unless you make an attempt with the sole intention of dying, it isn't an attempt. We certainly shouldn't trivialise self harming like that, as the person is obviously very desperate. However, for people who are suicidal that suffer silently, it must be very frustrating to see others who make these 'gestures' (which really is a serious form of self harm) and get attention (although many won't), while the person who really does intend to kill themselves at some point is left floundering. Either way, both people need help and support.

As far as I'm concerned, very few people who genuinely intend to die will survive...either that or they haven't thought it through properly and make mistakes.

Lastly, from what I have read it would seem Stephen Fry really did intend to kill himself....no one takes enough tablets to make them have a seizure and break several ribs without the intention of ending it all.

Do you know what tablets he took - just out of curiosity? I'm not sure what type of medication it would've been for his body to so violently try to reject it? I know a lot of time people vomit almost by reflex as an attempt to expel the substance but I've never heard of somebody having such a violent reaction and surviving it.
Original post by Rybee
You've completely misunderstood the main question of the thread to be honest.

The question is, what is your opinion on individuals who repeatedly 'make a suicide attempt' with absolutely no intention on seeing it through?

I am not concerned at all about those who do make genuine attempts, that's not something that I'd really want to discuss.

How the **** would you know whether they intend to see it through or not? Did they tell you explicitly? Or are you judging people you don't know, and belittling them for it? I'd say the latter is more likely.
Original post by Rybee
Every week I flick through the online news for a bit of social & current affairs news, and every single week I see a 'celebrity' in a suicide bid attempt:

'Maria Fowler in Suspected Suicide Attempt' clicky.

And last week I saw this:
'Mario Falcone Attempted Suicide' clicky.

And the week before last week I saw this:
'Paris Jackson's Suicide Attempt' clicky

And the week before that week I saw this:
'Stephen Fry Reveals Suicide Attempt' clicky

Now the amount of suicide attempts that I read about vs suicide deaths outweighs them dozens to one. I do suffer from quite severe unipolar depression so I can genuinely relate to suicidal thoughts and motives.

I believe that if it is committed in a thoughtful manner, i.e. not splatting yourself on the windscreen of an oncoming train to scar that driver for the rest of their life, that it's okay. If you are in so much distress in your life that you think suicide is truly the best option then I have no qualms with those that do it for the right reasons. Nobody opts in for life, and for some people, opting out of life is in their best interest.

But frankly, I do actually get quite offended and irritated by those who make suicide attempts, with no absolutely no intention whatsoever in actually seeing it through. I can't help that most 'failed attempts', particularly when there are multiple, 'failed attempts' that it is just a cry for attention. I think it's insulting to those who consider suicide to be a very realistic option.

What're your thoughts on attempted suicide bids? Genuine intention, or seeking attention?

Well both really, there is often a genuine intention, but there is also an attention seeking part of it, because those that commit suicide are generally depressed and isolated.

Well of course failed attempts are cries for attention - people who do this need help, and shouldn't just be neglected.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.
Reply 27
Original post by Rybee
I find that question interesting too, and feel awful because probably more often than not it's not going to end in their favour. I'm sorry to hear of your friend, that's truly horrible.

Yea man that's just it, why do people feel the need to go to such extremes? To me it seems a matter of pride, people feel they can't ask for help so they make a display so they don't have to ask. It sounds mental but that is just what it is. Mental.

And it was horrible but I've moved on, he'll live on in my memories but he made the decision and acted on it. While I'll never understand his reasoning I respect the courage he had, if that doesn't sound too weird.
Reply 28
Original post by Messalina
How the **** would you know whether they intend to see it through or not? Did they tell you explicitly? Or are you judging people you don't know, and belittling them for it? I'd say the latter is more likely.

Yes. I've given a clear real life example. Have you not read the thread?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Lord of the Flies
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

I don't think you'd be able to justify that claim but feel free to do so instead of having zero input into a discussion.
Original post by Rybee
Do you know what tablets he took - just out of curiosity? I'm not sure what type of medication it would've been for his body to so violently try to reject it? I know a lot of time people vomit almost by reflex as an attempt to expel the substance but I've never heard of somebody having such a violent reaction and surviving it.

Here is his account of his suicide attempt: http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/

He doesn't mention what meds he took (no doubt to prevent people using the same method), just that it involved a bottle of vodka as well. I really wouldn't know what he took to make him react like that, you'd need to ask one of the pharmacy students! It is a bit unusual that he chose to overdose, as generally men use more lethal methods, which is why they have a higher rate of successful suicides compared to women.
Original post by Rybee
Yes. I've given a clear real life example.

Nah, I just have a little respect for other people. Attempting suicide =/= self harm, which has already been explained by another poster about the situation you described.

I've attempted suicide twice, and I can assure you I was deadly serious. However the fact that I received attention and care afterwards is probably what helped me recover and stop being so depressed. Attitudes like yours help people who are already at very low points feel even worse. Have some tact and empathy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rybee
:blah:

I never did anything I did to seek attention - I genuinely thought my situation would never end so I didn't see a point to living since I was so unhappy
Reply 33
I do genuinely think that in terms of self-harm, what makes the person start in the first place? I feel that, that itself could socially be linked to the whole aspect of the fact that starting to self-arm i.e cutting may be because they see others who are depressed do it, almost like a chain reaction? Obviously this is my own opinion, sorry for any controversy x
Reply 34
Original post by Rybee
You've completely misunderstood the main question of the thread to be honest.

The question is, what is your opinion on individuals who repeatedly 'make a suicide attempt' with absolutely no intention on seeing it through?

I am not concerned at all about those who do make genuine attempts, that's not something that I'd really want to discuss.

I think you've misunderstood her too. She said even people who attempt suicide as a cry for attention also don't deserve to be judged and belittled because clearly they need that attention, and feel like people don't care about them enough. They clearly have psychological issues that need to be dealt with, and its not something they should be mocked about.
Original post by RubyLoulo
I do genuinely think that in terms of self-harm, what makes the person start in the first place? I feel that, that itself could socially be linked to the whole aspect of the fact that starting to self-arm i.e cutting may be because they see others who are depressed do it, almost like a chain reaction? Obviously this is my own opinion, sorry for any controversy x

Lots of reasons: They want to feel pain because they feel emotionally numb otherwise, they are angry and want to hurt themselves, they fell they deserve to be punished, it serves as a distraction from other problems in their life...the list goes on. The idea that people start to self harm because they see others doing it doesn't really make sense. Lots of people see others who self harm, but they don't go and do it. Those who do see it and subsequently carry it out will not be doing so simply because they are copying, but because they have found self harming to be a successful (but negative) coping mechanism.

Edit: I have heard self harm be explained in this way before - If you stub your toe, you can't think of anything but the shooting pain that sears through you...for that moment, it is all you can think about. For people who self harm, it is often the same. They are suffering so much mentally, that physical pain can momentarily take away the emotional turmoil.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Lazuliblue
Here is his account of his suicide attempt: http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/

He doesn't mention what meds he took (no doubt to prevent people using the same method), just that it involved a bottle of vodka as well. I really wouldn't know what he took to make him react like that, you'd need to ask one of the pharmacy students! It is a bit unusual that he chose to overdose, as generally men use more lethal methods, which is why they have a higher rate of successful suicides compared to women.

Oh wow thanks, I've only read press reviews and 3rd hand stories. I'll give that a read, cheers!

Original post by Messalina
Attitudes like yours help people who are already at very low points feel even worse. Have some tact and empathy.

You honestly don't know the first thing about me or what I do, and are so blinded by your own arrogance in not even reading the thread properly - so I'll pay you the compliment of just leaving it here.

Original post by RubyLoulo

To me, self harm is an alien concept. I can relate to suicide but I've never been able to relate to those that self harm. I've spoken to literally hundreds that do and they explain why they do it but I personally just cannot relate. I'm quite okay with admitting that I don't think I'd ever fully appreciate why they do it either. I know why they do it, how they feel, what they believe they get out of it, but yeah... to me I just really can't relate.

As you've just touched on, I think there's a tad more influence from other stimuli that can make people self harm. I know of some who do it because they think that it's how they should be acting, which is really quite upsetting.
(edited 10 years ago)
This is a pretty unfair thread. Oven if they are seeking attention it probably means that they are not at ease with life. I know one person who constantly seeks attention. I don't hold that against her. She just needs help.

People need to stop being so judge mental

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rybee
Every week I flick through the online news for a bit of social & current affairs news, and every single week I see a 'celebrity' in a suicide bid attempt:

'Maria Fowler in Suspected Suicide Attempt' clicky.

And last week I saw this:
'Mario Falcone Attempted Suicide' clicky.

And the week before last week I saw this:
'Paris Jackson's Suicide Attempt' clicky

And the week before that week I saw this:
'Stephen Fry Reveals Suicide Attempt' clicky

Now the amount of suicide attempts that I read about vs suicide deaths outweighs them dozens to one. I do suffer from quite severe unipolar depression so I can genuinely relate to suicidal thoughts and motives.

I believe that if it is committed in a thoughtful manner, i.e. not splatting yourself on the windscreen of an oncoming train to scar that driver for the rest of their life, that it's okay. If you are in so much distress in your life that you think suicide is truly the best option then I have no qualms with those that do it for the right reasons. Nobody opts in for life, and for some people, opting out of life is in their best interest.

But frankly, I do actually get quite offended and irritated by those who make suicide attempts, with no absolutely no intention whatsoever in actually seeing it through. I can't help that most 'failed attempts', particularly when there are multiple, 'failed attempts' that it is just a cry for attention. I think it's insulting to those who consider suicide to be a very realistic option.

What're your thoughts on attempted suicide bids? Genuine intention, or seeking attention?

I'd say a good 99% are looking for attention. I think if I wanted to kill myself I could do it very easily and without disrupting other people day to day lives.
Reply 39
You ever tried it? Its a lot harder than it looks.

Quick Reply

Latest