The Student Room Group

Most complicated sport to understand.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
It was originally 15-30-45, but people got bored of saying forty - five, so they dropped the five.

Really? Very interesting. I didn't know that.

Or you just made it up. :tongue: Got a source for that?
Original post by cole-slaw
It was originally 15-30-45, but people got bored of saying forty - five, so they dropped the five.

Haha. Are you sure of that?
Original post by Vanny17
Haha. Are you sure of that?

Yeah, its the quarters of the clock. 15-30-45-60. When you got to 60 you won the game.
This thread was made last year, but erm, yeah...Tennis isn't that difficult to understand. It really isn't. As an avid football fan, I didn't pay much attention to Tennis, unless Wimbledon shows live on the BBC. And I just learnt the rules from there, I have pretty much learnt every rule of tennis just by watching it on TV. Football is very easy to understand, the offside rule is probably the hardest rule you can get with football, and even that isn't very difficult to understand. Someone mentioned Chess, I don't really consider that a sport, but again, Chess is also not very complicated, once you get the hang of it, and you keep playing it (like me), you just get used to it.

I don't watch much Cricket, but I know the basic rules of how Cricket is played. It's a very, very, very boring sport though.

With Rugby, I don't understand when it's a foul or when it's not a foul, other than that, I pretty much get it.
Original post by snailsareslimy
Personally, cricket. Not a clue what's going on! I still don't get the offside rule either so that in football :s-smilie:

Offside rule is so, so, so easy to understand. I can demonstrate the offside rule with just 3 items.
Cricket:

•You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
•Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
•When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
•When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
•Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
•There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
•Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
•When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

Quick Reply

Latest