The Student Room Group

Best board for Physics (Independent learning)

I have a teacher in my sixthform who is confident in me and prepared to carry out any coursework required for this course,

Which board is best at...

Giving specification relevant questions?
Having Comprehensive textbooks?
Having more theory and less maths? (Although I like maths I find Long maths questions (6markers) easy to drop marks on by simple mistakes)
Has more content?

From what I've heard so far: AQA is best and OCR B is completely ****, I've got no experience of either, so I want to know more before I decide

Cheers,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no experience of AQA physics so i can't help you there. I did OCR Physics B and it was terrible, the books are beyond useless and a complete waste of money. CGP produce small revision books but these are not very useful as they are too brief.

OCR A is much better, the books are very good and there is no third section in the summer exams, unlike OCR B, so i would recommend OCR A.
Reply 2
Original post by nebelbon
I have no experience of AQA physics so i can't help you there. I did OCR Physics B and it was terrible, the books are beyond useless and a complete waste of money. CGP produce small revision books but these are not very useful as they are too brief.

OCR A is much better, the books are very good and there is no third section in the summer exams, unlike OCR B, so i would recommend OCR A.

Yeah that's what I've heard about OCR B, I should also add it's what my school offers and all people I've spoken to about it say;

A - Teachers and and can't teacher the course
B - There's nothing you can learn it from, CGP guides really are lacking and they're the one thing on offer
C - Even if you could learn it the exam style is so abstract you might as well be reading a book on late Chinese history.

Thanks for the advice :- )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
*Sneaky bump*
The resources for the OCR B board are quite scarce and so from that viewpoint I wouldn't recommend it but there's nothing wrong with the syllabus, in my opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by DJMayes
The resources for the OCR B board are quite scarce and so from that viewpoint I wouldn't recommend it but there's nothing wrong with the syllabus, in my opinion.

Fair enough, did you do OCR B? How different is it from the physics A course on OCR, or that of other boards?
You should look at past papers for each of the boards and see which style you prefer.
Reply 7
Original post by audi_turbo
You should look at past papers for each of the boards and see which style you prefer.

I have done, I would say AQA was best, however this is likely just because I familiar with their exam style from Biology and Chemistry. I feel I would need to know quite a bit of content for looking at past papers to be a useful discriminative of exam board,

Cheers though, good advice,

Hat
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest