Chemical Engineering 2014 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DoodlingSamurai
I got mine today. Everything you need to know is in this website here:
http://www.ceas.manchester.ac.uk/pre-arrival/ug-students/
Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks, that's very helpful. :smile:

Original post by x-Sophie-x
Yes, it is quite useful really and has important info about the first day and freshers. I'm not sure if the same info is available online or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I'm going to have to phone them up and sort it out. Thanks for the help. :smile:
Original post by Jed-Singh
How competitive is Chemical Engineering? ie how many applicants to places are there?
It's semi competitive, but if you are predicted the required grades, you should get offers. However some universities will be flexible if you get lower. For example, 2015 entry Birmingham wants A*AA or AAAA, but I got AAB this year and they let me in.
im thinking about engineering but cant seem to be getting any answers. i know this might be on the wrong thread but no one replies on the other ones.
Do GCSEs matter in engineering as much as they do in medicine?
What type of engineering is for me, i want a job at an airline or my dream job at nasa. i am also interested in the nuclear field. is that chemical?
Anyone else going to Newcastle?
Original post by Fatcoin
It's semi competitive, but if you are predicted the required grades, you should get offers. However some universities will be flexible if you get lower. For example, 2015 entry Birmingham wants A*AA or AAAA, but I got AAB this year and they let me in.

Oh so did you apply and get offered A*AA but they let you in with AAB? Or did you apply through clearing? I dont know how anything works lol :tongue:
Original post by Jed-Singh
Oh so did you apply and get offered A*AA but they let you in with AAB? Or did you apply through clearing? I dont know how anything works lol :tongue:
All of my offers were AAA, most courses that were AAA are now A*AA or AAAA, but I feel they raised this because other universities did, else why would they let me in with effectively 2 grades lower than what they will ask for in 2015.
Anyone having a gap year and going in 2015 ?? Missed my grades :frown:(
Has anyone bought any books for the course or will you be buying them when you arrive at university?
Original post by SuperNinja
Has anyone bought any books for the course or will you be buying them when you arrive at university?

I'm buying after I get to uni, think it's better that way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh cool. Which univeristy you going to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4970
Hi, I'm interested in studying Chemical engineering, I'm currently in Year 12. I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me to learn whether this is for me? Maybe some books to read to see if I like it? Thanks :smile:
Original post by azo
Hi, I'm interested in studying Chemical engineering, I'm currently in Year 12. I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me to learn whether this is for me? Maybe some books to read to see if I like it? Thanks :smile:

Do you like maths? Do you mind the physchem side of chemistry? Does the idea of a lecturer deriving 20 equations from a piston and cylinder arrangement make you shudder?

There's 'An Introduction to Chemical Engineering: Tools for Tomorrow' or something along those lines. It goes over the basic principles in the context of designing a process. Perfect for someone like yourself, and handy if you need to write a PS for ChemEng later on.

Think it's about £25, cheaper second-hand though. I'd recommend buying it if you are keen.

I should add that the chemistry done in chemical engineering (at this level) is a relatively small amount, and literally enough to get you by. Knowing how a reaction works will be of little use; all you need to know is that it does work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperNinja
Oh cool. Which univeristy you going to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am assuming you were meant to quote me lol
Going to UCL :smile: wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i did mean quote you :P

Il be going to Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
A*A*AAAAAABBBBBB
Do my GCSEs put me at an advantage/disadvantage or are they average for Chemical Engineering?
Thanks
Original post by Jed_Singh
A*A*AAAAAABBBBBB
Do my GCSEs put me at an advantage/disadvantage or are they average for Chemical Engineering?
Thanks

Average for most unis... GCSEs don't matter as much for Chemical Engineering unless you're applying to Oxbridge and maybe Imperial.
Original post by sjrahman
Average for most unis... GCSEs don't matter as much for Chemical Engineering unless you're applying to Oxbridge and maybe Imperial.

Thankyou :smile:
Results? Check. Accomodation? Check. Thirst for success? Check. Less do dis! ::bl:
Everyone looking forward to starting their courses?
Reply 4979
I'd check with you university department :smile: I'm going to Bath and they've told us not to worry about books since we'll be told what to get when we arrive there

Quick Reply

Latest