The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering 2014 Entry Applicants

It's nice to see so many ChemEng applicants! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's 1 of my 3 engineering options. Still haven't decided which one I want to do yet :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Qari
It's 1 of my 3 engineering options. Still haven't decided which one I want to do yet :frown:

What are your other engineering options?
I was once interested in aerospace engineering but I think chemical is more suited to me personally.
Reply 3
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing it as well.
What unis are you looking at?
Reply 4
Original post by m.mckay
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing it as well.
What unis are you looking at?

Hello (:

Manchester, Nottingham, Bath, Birmingham and Cambridge. I haven't finalised anything as of yet though.

Imperial and Loughborough are also options, but Imperial's entry requirements are just ridiculous :frown:

How about yourself? (: Have you been to any open days as of yet?
Reply 5
Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham and Heriot Watt are the ones I like the most.
Then its one out of Loughborough, Leeds and Newcastle.

I've been to Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham so far.

And I know, I considered going to an open day but they seem to be giving out 4 A*'s to a lot of people, so I might avoid that one

Where have you looked at so far?
Reply 6
Original post by m.mckay
Bath, Birmingham, Nottingham and Heriot Watt are the ones I like the most.
Then its one out of Loughborough, Leeds and Newcastle.

I've been to Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham so far.

And I know, I considered going to an open day but they seem to be giving out 4 A*'s to a lot of people, so I might avoid that one

Where have you looked at so far?

Nice choices (:

I've been to Manchester, Birmingham, Bath, Nottingham, and Imperial so far xD Loved them all. What did you think? And I've got Cambridge this week :redface:

Yeah the entry requirements on their site is A*A*A which is just crazy, let alone 4A*'s! Ah well.
Reply 7
I thought Leeds was good but not the best.
Birmingham was incredible, would love to go there or Bath.
Manchester had awesome facilities but I think it is too close to home
I didn't expect to like Nottingham but I really enjoyed it. The pilot plant they have is pretty good.

Have you got any ideas as to where you want to go to?
Reply 8
Original post by m.mckay
I thought Leeds was good but not the best.
Birmingham was incredible, would love to go there or Bath.
Manchester had awesome facilities but I think it is too close to home
I didn't expect to like Nottingham but I really enjoyed it. The pilot plant they have is pretty good.

Have you got any ideas as to where you want to go to?

I wanted to visit Leeds. But then I realised Leeds don't do industrial years and I want to do a year out for sure :frown:
I visited Bath and it was a let down tbh, not nearly as nice as I expected, but still good.
I agree, did you go to Nottingham on Saturday and do that heat transfer practical thing? I really liked the plant, it was cool (:

What do you mean have I got any ideas where I want to go? Birmingham, Manchester and Bath are my top choices.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeh, our group won it; but they didn't give us a prize :frown:

I agree about Leeds though, I assumed every Uni would push you towards a year in industry, but they seemed reluctant to do it.
Reply 10
Original post by m.mckay
Yeh, our group won it; but they didn't give us a prize :frown:

I agree about Leeds though, I assumed every Uni would push you towards a year in industry, but they seemed reluctant to do it.

This wasn't the green group by any chance? Our group won too and we were green.

Indeed. It's annoying.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a year in industry. Yes, it's experience and experience is paramount, but you don't have to do a year in industry to get experience: you can do summer placements, like what I did. Ultimately I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that employers vastly favour a year in industry compared to a summer placement, especially if you have multiple summer placements.

If you do a year in industry, and this adds a year to the length of the degree as most do, you have to consider that you're spending a year earning a placement wage (typically between £15,000-£20,000) when you could instead graduate a year sooner and be earning a graduate wage (see Unistats for average graduate salaries of engineering courses). The engineering market isn't so tight that a year out is required to secure a job.
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a year in industry. Yes, it's experience and experience is paramount, but you don't have to do a year in industry to get experience: you can do summer placements, like what I did. Ultimately I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that employers vastly favour a year in industry compared to a summer placement, especially if you have multiple summer placements.

If you do a year in industry, and this adds a year to the length of the degree as most do, you have to consider that you're spending a year earning a placement wage (typically between £15,000-£20,000) when you could instead graduate a year sooner and be earning a graduate wage (see Unistats for average graduate salaries of engineering courses). The engineering market isn't so tight that a year out is required to secure a job.

Hmm, that's something to consider actually, thank you for that.

I wouldn't mind earning a placement wage instead of a graduate wage, I'm sure the difference won't be too large.

Are you a chemical engineer then, completed your degree and all?
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Hmm, that's something to consider actually, thank you for that.

I wouldn't mind earning a placement wage instead of a graduate wage, I'm sure the difference won't be too large.

Are you a chemical engineer then, completed your degree and all?

The difference can actually be quite large, sometimes double, even.

I just finished my mechanical degree. Worked alongside some process engineers on placements.
Reply 14
Original post by Smack
The difference can actually be quite large, sometimes double, even.

I just finished my mechanical degree. Worked alongside some process engineers on placements.

Double, wow :redface:

Ah that's cool (:
Reply 15
I want to do chemical engineering and am applying for 2014 entry. However I want to know if work experience or volunteer work is necessary? For example, if you want to do medicine you need a lot of work experience to get into medical school but what about getting into engineering school? Since engineering is much more theoretically focused i'm not sure it would be possible to find any relevant work experience. So doing just ANY work experience will only be a waste of time in my opinion but ultimately I am still quite unsure.
Reply 16
Original post by desslop
I want to do chemical engineering and am applying for 2014 entry. However I want to know if work experience or volunteer work is necessary? For example, if you want to do medicine you need a lot of work experience to get into medical school but what about getting into engineering school? Since engineering is much more theoretically focused i'm not sure it would be possible to find any relevant work experience. So doing just ANY work experience will only be a waste of time in my opinion but ultimately I am still quite unsure.

Hi (:
Work experience isn't necessary, no.
Of course it'd be useful to have some relevant work experience under your belt, but universities know how difficult this is and so it's not a must.
I'm not sure how much luck the rest of you have had with this, but personally I've found experience impossible to secure.
Reply 17
Fortunately, my parents are both engineers so it has been pretty easy to find placements.

Although some of the experience I've had with companies has been pretty poor.
Reply 18
Original post by m.mckay
Fortunately, my parents are both engineers so it has been pretty easy to find placements.

Although some of the experience I've had with companies has been pretty poor.

If you don't mind me asking, which companies were these?

At least you have something to say! Which is more than most of us can say.
What kind of things did you do?
Reply 19
Local companies from Cheshire. - PROjen, THOR and what was Brunner Mond.

I did some basic IT jobs for them and some simple work, and got shown the different projects they were doing.
Although in interviews and PS, I imagine I will make it look a bit more exciting then it was.

Quick Reply

Latest