The Student Room Group

Does universities look at As level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SixteenSaltines
I'm applying for History, I got 1 A*, 4 As and 4 Bs at GCSE and I am on track for 4 As at AS. History is competitive so I feel like my GCSEs are shamefully low in comparison to my ASs

They're not bad providing you've got them in Maths and English. As for your AS's, what do you study? If you get AAAA in 4 decent subjects then theres no reason why none of them won't give you a chance. Hope this helps.
Original post by AverageExcellence
They're not bad providing you've got them in Maths and English. As for your AS's, what do you study? If you get AAAA in 4 decent subjects then theres no reason why none of them won't give you a chance. Hope this helps.

Yeah they are, my ASs are History, Maths, Economics and Art (and I am dropping Art)
Original post by SixteenSaltines
Yeah they are, my ASs are History, Maths, Economics and Art (and I am dropping Art)

The best thing you can do is do your best and focus on the grades, if you are in doubt email them and ask what they expect in a history candidate. They're not shy in telling you what they look for and you can adjust your personal statement accordingly. To be honest you could probably make up some history related experiences like you're part of your debate club and that you volunteer in your local town's historic works, None except oxford would interview you and none would ask for proof. Its a little disingenuous but when your future's at stake then all is fair lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending