The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree

I'm considering doing a degree in either Computer Science or Electronic Engineering and I wondered which Maths module would be the best to choose for A2? D2, S2 or M2? Also does anyone know a good way of learning some of the basics for Java programming? Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by howitoughttobe
I'm considering doing a degree in either Computer Science or Electronic Engineering and I wondered which Maths module would be the best to choose for A2? D2, S2 or M2? Also does anyone know a good way of learning some of the basics for Java programming? Thanks for any help!

Hi, Computer Science is a degree very much in demand and has a place in various industries I am going to study CS at university in September. CS consists of Maths such as Logic, Boolean Algebra, Set Functions, Algorithms and Trigonometry. A good way to learn Java Programming is to buy/lease beginners books either online or the library.

My advice is that you start with Python Programming as it is known to be the easiest language to grasp and it gives you a basic entry-level overview of Programming Principles which can be applied to C#, Java and etc.

Hope this Helps, Good Luck.

Naf
Reply 2
I really wouldnt worry which one you choose. Just choose something you will find enjoyable, The maths taught for computer science courses are completely different to A levels.

the only A level maths modules that helps is FP1 I think. That teaches proof by induction. Because you have there is alot of proofs that need to be read and written.

Also Set theory and logic are piss easy. it is just abit of abstract maths.

on my course we covered Conplexity theory, probability theory, Linear Algebra(Matrices), also proving the correctness of computer programs and data structures.
Reply 3
The maths that are in use in computer science are basically algebra. About java try to watch some tutorials in utube

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending