The Student Room Group

Girls: Would you expect a guy to pay on a date?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For a first date, yes I would. Unless he earns a lot less than me or is struggling financially, then obviously no. But if he's in a comfortable position, yes I would, for the first date.

After that 50:50. I guess it wouldn't bother me if he wanted to pay 50:50 on the first date, but it's not quite the same.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lauraaaaa
I'd pay whatever my 'half' cost, particularly if I'd spent more!

Say you spend 25
He spent 10

How much do you pay each?

Original post by SaFa1237
Sometimes my friends and I split the bill and even if one of us spends more, we don't mind. Obviously it's different circumstances but I wouldn't mind. :smile:

Yeah, but that's friends:tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by JagSan
But if a guy insisted, and you said you'd split it and then his reply was 'OK', would you mind? I expect some people(not saying you!) expect the guy to insist but say they'll split for the sake of it.

:ninja:
no, we normally go 50/50 ish

i.e rounds in the pub or one pays for meal and one pays for cinema etc...
I wouldn't say I would "expect" him to pay, but if he asked me to go on a date then i think it would be a nice gesture for him to pay. I wouldn't have a problem paying 50:50 though and i'd always taken enough money to make sure i could. I would always offer anyway.
It depends if she is one of them women that shoves womens rights down peoples throats.
Original post by wildrover
It depends if she is one of them women that shoves womens rights down peoples throats.

I know what you wanna shove down those throats :sexface:
Original post by Funtry
You seem like an awesome girl! I'd put enough down visibly for slightly over half, so that they can see how much I've put down (say it was £30 I'd put down £20) and see what they do. I mean, I obviously can't leave it at £20, but would prefer if she paid that extra tenner!

If the date went pretty well, and we were guaranteed a second date, I'd offer to pay in full, as I know/hope that if we go on more dates she'll begin to pay for it sometimes! Then it'll sort of even out.
If it was awful, go dutch!

Aww thanks, likewise :h:. Hmm... that's a good way to see if she'll cough up. I'll try that sometime, but the guy'll probably feel emasculated :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Say you spend 25
He spent 10

How much do you pay each?

I pay £25 and he pays £10 wouldn't ever expect anyone to pay for me, but that's just my opinion :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Technetium
Aww thanks, likewise :h:. Hmm... that's a good way to see if she'll cough up. I'll try that sometime, but the guy'll probably feel emasculated :lol:

Aw thanks :^_^: It is! Can be quite awkward though.. Eh, if they do, then you'll know whether or not they're right for you? I mean if you like LADs then he may be good (if he takes offence), but if not, then it wouldn't matter to him that much!
Original post by lauraaaaa
I pay £25 and he pays £10 wouldn't ever expect anyone to pay for me, but that's just my opinion :smile:

Hmmm... That's fair enough!
Reply 31
Is it really awful that I would expect him to pay for everything? Not that I would take advantage and order the most expensive thing, but I would still expect him to pay...how bad am I?
Original post by Funtry
Aw thanks :^_^: It is! Can be quite awkward though.. Eh, if they do, then you'll know whether or not they're right for you? I mean if you like LADs then he may be good (if he takes offence), but if not, then it wouldn't matter to him that much!

LADs? Heavens no! haha. That's true! the first date shows whether the other person is committed to a possible relationship..
On first dates, I don't like it when they pay the full bill. I want to pay my share, because otherwise I feel like I owe something to him. He might not think anything of it, but I certainly do!
Reply 34
Original post by Funtry
You seem like an awesome girl! I'd put enough down visibly for slightly over half, so that they can see how much I've put down (say it was £30 I'd put down £20) and see what they do. I mean, I obviously can't leave it at £20, but would prefer if she paid that extra tenner!

If the date went pretty well, and we were guaranteed a second date, I'd offer to pay in full, as I know/hope that if we go on more dates she'll begin to pay for it sometimes! Then it'll sort of even out.
If it was awful, go dutch!

If someone I was out with put down £20 for a £30 bill, I would put down £10 and hand that person £5, especially on a first date where I don't know them very well, I would feel uncomfortable allowing someone to cover any of my share.

However I agree once you get to know someone a lot better it doesn't matter so much who pays for each outing, as long as it isn't always the same person.
Reply 35
Original post by Technetium
LADs? Heavens no! haha. That's true! the first date shows whether the other person is committed to a possible relationship..

Exactly what it's for! I guess.. Haha, well, when you said that you didn't want a guy to feel emasculated, I felt like you were saying you go for LAD's! Most guys don't mind, though if they do then just decline the offer (if it comes your way) for a second date.. :ahee:
As an gay man, there's an odd dynamic when it comes to paying for things on dates and such. It tends to work out the one evening one party pays the bill and then another is paid for by the other. The question of paying always sours the milk a little bit. The best thing is to get your wallet out and show willing :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Floalley
If someone I was out with put down £20 for a £30 bill, I would put down £10 and hand that person £5, especially on a first date where I don't know them very well, I would feel uncomfortable allowing someone to cover any of my share.

However I agree once you get to know someone a lot better it doesn't matter so much who pays for each outing, as long as it isn't always the same person.

I wouldn't be able to accept the fiver though, as that's different to putting the money down if that makes sense? If I put 20 pounds down, even though I'm technically giving you a fiver, I'm not physically handing you a five pound note, and that's where the difference lies.

I'm looking way too far into this.
For a first date I don't expect it, but I like it if it happens. I always offer to pay for what I had 3 times (asking him if he's sure etc.) though, before gratefully accepting :smile:
Dates after you're in a relationship should be paid for whoever suggested/planned the date imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Most girls do unless he states otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending