The Student Room Group

What do us poor people do during Summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Go outside and see the countryside. Maybe ride your bike somewhere.
Reply 81
You dont need to have money to enjoy life.

Get some hobbies, go to the park for runs, start learning a language, learn next year's course content, learn some new cooking recipes etc etc. There's a pleothors of things out there to do.
Reply 82
“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much Jon Snow.” Tyrion Lannister
Reply 83
Original post by randomd_love
Oh man yes I completely forgot about those. Homeland for sure but why is everyone telling me Parks and Recreation gets better? Does it really start off that bad?

I liked them all but as some reviews have mentioned the first series just wasn't as funny and we didn't get a chance to see a lot of character development in my opinion. I did enjoy watching every episode of every series (I watched every single episode in one week)
just chill and have fun-go shopping,have parties and other sh*t like that....:biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Haha, good luck; gets pretty painful towards the latter weeks!

Day 1 was bad enough :lol: But I got it done without any problems. I'll be amazed though if it can actually get me doing 100 consecutive push-ups!
(edited 10 years ago)
Volunteer! A lot of opportunities in voluntary sector; either visit www.do-it.org.uk or your local voluntary centre :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Volunteer :smile:
Every summer holiday I have either worked or volunteered and it's got to me good places :smile:
Reply 88
Go out and get mortal
I once spent a couple of weeks watching the whole 3 months worth of Big Brother 2006 on YouTube. That as without watching BBLB or BBBM as well, pretty sure watching those too could fill out a whole months worth of your time.
Original post by Cll_ws
Day 1 was bad enough :lol: But I got it done without any problems. I'll be amazed though if it can actually get me doing 100 consecutive push-ups!

That's what I thought, but I'm in Week 5 and coping with the middle column... somehow :biggrin:
Original post by Michael McKean
Don't learn a language that you know you'll not be needing in the future. Anyway, three months isn't enough time. Learning a language probably requires total commitment unless you are really talented.

Way to be an excellent encouragement.

If you want to learn a language, go for something that interests you in terms of culture, sound etc, but don't expect too much from it. It's true you need a bit of commitment, but you'll find that there are no 'hard' languages if you're really interested, just challenging ones. :smile:
Disagreeing with everyone's points of views is suspicious, I think I'm going to keep my eye on Michael, just in case he's trolling.
Original post by constantmeowage
Way to be an excellent encouragement.

If you want to learn a language, go for something that interests you in terms of culture, sound etc, but don't expect too much from it. It's true you need a bit of commitment, but you'll find that there are no 'hard' languages if you're really interested, just challenging ones. :smile:

Just for the record, I'd recommend Latin and German. Latin was once the lingua franca of Europe i.e. the universal language and is a very beautiful one at that. Whilst German I feel is easier to learn for Britons (perhaps Scots in particular) than, say, the Romantic languages like French and Italian.
Original post by Venturian tale !
Disagreeing with everyone's points of views is suspicious, I think I'm going to keep my eye on Michael, just in case he's trolling.

If I didn't disagree with something that I truly disagreed with then I'd be betraying myself AND the other person whom I am disagreeing with. We must respect other peoples opinions and so be able to agree or disagree. Such is the joy of open discussion. If everyone just agreed with each other when in their minds they actually disagreed, we wouldn't learn much or progress as a society. And believe me, I don't waste my time disagreeing with others just for the sake of it or to make them feel bad, I actually do it because I care for the other person and hope they may learn from what I say. To men who speak their minds! :biggrin:
Original post by TheWhiteKnight
Barbarous knave, your irrational rant is tragically misplaced. The gent in question was merely enquiring as to suitable activities in which to partake, not inviting a ludicrous rant from the likes of thee.

I think the British government has made a bad choice in dishing out benefits and providing free schooling. Its simple: if you do that then people are just going to take it for granted and perceive it for granted. For example, British kids may think going to school is the norm and so manipulate it whereas someone who has to pay to go to school will cherish it and actually make the most of what they are getting. Its not complicated. Don't even get me started on healthcare. :wink:
Original post by SyntaxZogre
All my friends have gone on holiday, and I just sit at home doing nothing. I've applied to internships a few months ago but nothing was successful. I've been constantly applying for jobs in the past months for the summer but still no luck.

I have 3 months of summer before uni and all I have to do is read books...

What are you studying at uni?
Reply 97
I thought all the poor people spent the summer working as grouse beaters.
Reply 98
Original post by SyntaxZogre
All my friends have gone on holiday, and I just sit at home doing nothing. I've applied to internships a few months ago but nothing was successful. I've been constantly applying for jobs in the past months for the summer but still no luck.

I have 3 months of summer before uni and all I have to do is read books...

You're living the dream bro, make the most of it while you can :P
Reply 99
Probably going to sound a bit sad, but if you want to relieve your boredom you could:

Train yourself to be ambidextrous

Learn the NATO phonetic alphabet

Learn the Greek alphabet

Read Animal Farm or Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell)

Quick Reply

Latest