The Student Room Group

My Access to HE Diary 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mollydblybarrly
Also, has anyone else been given access to their online setup?

I know that sounds super confusing, but at CCN we have something called "Blackboard", which you can access at home over the internet and has all the assignment info, unit criteria, assignment briefs and loads of other word docs for you to download and read.

I've just downloaded the unit 1 and 2 chemistry mock assignments, a guide to all course units and criteria you have to meet and TONS of key skills stuff - all of which will be covered in class in the next few weeks!

It feels quite nice to have a little head start! I hate not knowing what t expect :colondollar:

Hi Molly, we have an online system at my college too-but wont have access to it until we start so no idea what to expect :frown:, my Induction is on Monday and cant wait to start but we were given homework to do at our enrollment which will be graded-so it's a bit worrying as we havent been given any grading criteria!?! and have to hand it in at Induction! Throwing us in at the deep end I suppose x
Original post by Moofie10
Hi Molly, we have an online system at my college too-but wont have access to it until we start so no idea what to expect :frown:, my Induction is on Monday and cant wait to start but we were given homework to do at our enrollment which will be graded-so it's a bit worrying as we havent been given any grading criteria!?! and have to hand it in at Induction! Throwing us in at the deep end I suppose x

Oh wow they really don't go easy on you during inductions do they? Good luck for Monday - I am sure you will be fine. Even though they didn't give you any criteria, remember they don't expect you to know it all straight away and are probably gauging how much you know so they know where you will need help, if you know what I mean?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, wow! The first week is over and done with!!

Wednesday 4th September 2013

As I said to Moofie above, they don't go easy on you! We got to biology, everyone nervous and not really sure of each other, tentatively making small talk. The tutor (who is also the personal tutor for our group - kind of like the "forms" we had in high school, of which their are 5 Healthcare and 5 natural sciences) started off by giving us a 15-20minute induction about what to expect from the course, including an example criteria sheet, paperwork relating to the modules and described the marking protocol.

After that we were thrown straight into the science. He handed us a General science workbook and as he spoke about the Scientific Method (a little bit of history too, such as Humes theory of the white swans and why therefore scientists must be open to experimentation), biometry, how to write a hypothesis and the difference between science and pseudo-science.

Then for some fun. He got us to mix PVA 8% with sodium tetra-borate, a small amount of talc and some food coloring, The result?? We made Silly Putty :biggrin: - I sneaked some home in a plastic wallet to show off to the family when I got home :colone:

Then we were off to General Science workshop. It is basically an hour or so where we can take what we have learned in the lecture and read over it, research our homework, talk to the tutor who runs it about anything we need or catch up on anything we hay have missed, Really handy and cuts out a lot of the self study we have to do at home (handy if you have kids).

After that we had an hour and a half of study skills, where they went over general course issues and spoke a bit about personal statements and the big D (dissertation....eeek :eek:) so pretty much an induction of sorts.

Finally, a break! I was too busy for a sit down though as I rushed to sort out my maths GCSE and entering as a private candidate at the college (although I did eat. PLEASE make sure you eat on your first day, even if you usually skip lunch. Trust me, it is a draining day and brain food is a MUST).

After lunch we headed off to Chemistry, where our lecturer introduced himself and cracked straight into learning. We learned the basics of Atoms & Molecules and were taught the difference between elements, compounds and mixtures. We then did a couple of experiments. The first was your typical boiling water and measuring the temperature every 30 seconds. in the next, we mixed sand, salt and water then separated them using heat and filters. All very basic sounding but is actually a great learning tool when attempting to understand the difference between a mixture and compound and the states of matter.

I am going to stop here tonight, as this is quite a lot for you all to take in and I have a headache from all the learning.

I will tell you now though, that this course really is as intense as they say it is. Please don't underestimate just how intense it is going to be. As you can see, we learnt a lot just on the first day and I haven't even started on day 2 yet. It only gets harder from here on in but it IS DOABLE. When you are breaking down and feel like you can't cope just stick it out because you WILL pass the course.

Tune in tomorrow for Day 2 of Access to HE :2in1:
Reply 42
Hi everyone. I'm glad I have found this forum because its good to have support.
I'm 21 and hoping to get onto an Adult Nursing Course next year. I did my As levels a few years ago but dropped out after my dad died and I just couldn't be bothered anymore with education. I got a job instead which was care based and now I've realised that this is what I want to do.
I've got my Maths and English GCSE. Which is going to take some of the workload off which I'm happy about.
I'm doing Psychology, Health and Community and Human Biology as my main modules and Applied Maths to bring my GCSE Maths up to date.

I haven't got my Science GCSE though and this is worrying me as a few Uni's ask for that with the Maths and English. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Depends on where you apply but from what I've seen, to do an access course, science isn't a big requirement (although I imagine that a basic understanding would help...); dunno if would play a part for uni though...

A few people at my college are doing adult nursing with no science GCSE; they seem confident about applying to uni after...

Good luck though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
The two Uni's I really want to get to dont ask for science GCSE. But the other three I really like do ask for Science. I'm obviously doing a Science based course so can show my Science abilities but don't have the GCSE. I have emailed the Uni's though to see if they will consider my application without science GCSE.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Are they requirements as a mature student as well as 18-20 year olds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbiLisa91
Only just come back to the forum after deciding to definitely return to education and I found this, very helpful :smile:

i am also doing the access to he in science, and also a mum of a 3 yr old and in a long term relationship, and also doing my maths and English again and working part time as adomicilary carer lol :biggrin:

I am going to my interview at Leicester College on Tuesday 27th August! Any tips? Lol

I am desperate to get in! I originally applied for humanities and social science access but then admissions officer came back off of holiday and said NO you need science or health (to get into physiotherapy)
:smile:

and how did you get an unconditional offer at derby uni!?!? Lol I am just taking my access course having been on an open day and many emails/phonecalls/ questions and answers from tutors and what I will need to get in, (access to science or health and a b grade GCSE level in English and Maths which I am taking via an ICS course whilst at college

Im looking to do an access to higher education next year. Can you go into physiotherapy through doing an access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
@jac2786
Maths and English are a requirement to go to university regardless of age. Most courses like mine has a day dedicated to Maths and English GCSE. (Luckily I don't have to do it so get Mondays off :biggrin:)

@Lauren-Marie2
There are people on my access course hoping to do that next year, so it's definitely an option you can go down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
No, I meant science. Stands to reason that English and maths is a definite; I was wondering if, as the access would cover science, there was some flexibility as a mature student. But that said, this isn't my career path so... :redface:
Reply 49
That's what I was hoping. As its science based I thought that would be enough proof that I'm competent. I don't even have an option to do sciences at GCSE like those who need to do Maths and English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Wait and see what the unis say then. They're usually flexible with mature student entry requirements (within reason of course!) but keep us posted what they say coz I'm curious now and this is probably relevant to a fair few people... :redface:
Reply 51
Yeah I will do. Hopefully they will at least consider my applications, if not what even is the point of access courses in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Not to mention PS, work experience, life experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today is my first day on my Access course, I will report back on it later. I can't wait to get started.

10am - 11am - Induction with the head of access courses. Explanation of how the course is going to be difficult. Also recieved this little gem "assignments come with explanations of what is needed, to get a pass/merit/distinction".

11am - 1pm - 2 hour gap, hence me being on here now.

1pm- 3pm - Nibbles and chat with course instructors in course lounge. We basically all got put in the Access common rooms (study/break/rest area) and were there for 2 hours chatting amongst ourselves and occasionally with a tutor. We also got our full timetables.

3pm - 3:30pm - Talk in the hall from principal, student services and something else, wasn't really paying attention. My mind was pretty numb by this point.

Freshers day is this Wednesday, going to skip that.

Friday 13th is my next day at college, this is when classes start properly, I hope.
Reply 54
Aaaah my induction is today! Super nervous because it doesn't start until half 1 and I had to get up early to take my fella to work. Just sat here twiddling my thumbs hahaha
Original post by MrEFeynman
Today is my first day on my Access course, I will report back on it later. I can't wait to get started.

10am - 11am - Induction with the head of access courses. Explanation of how the course is going to be difficult. Also recieved this little gem "assignments come with explanations of what is needed, to get a pass/merit/distinction".

11am - 1pm - 2 hour gap, hence me being on here now.

1pm- 3pm - Nibbles and chat with course instructors in course lounge. We basically all got put in the Access common rooms (study/break/rest area) and were there for 2 hours chatting amongst ourselves and occasionally with a tutor. We also got our full timetables.

3pm - 3:30pm - Talk in the hall from principal, student services and something else, wasn't really paying attention. My mind was pretty numb by this point.

Freshers day is this Wednesday, going to skip that.

Friday 13th is my next day at college, this is when classes start properly, I hope.

Thank you very much for your contribution to my diary :smile: Its lovely to see how the rest of you did on your first day too! Very exciting. Let me know how you got on!!!

Right, time for my second day entry.

Thursday 5th September

We start off with Biology, where we have another quick run through. Following that we get down to work again, where we learn about the history of the microscope, cells and their organelles and the different types of cells that exist. We then got the microscopes out to see how we set them up and use them (I have a little bit of an advantage here, having used microscopes at work and owning one at home, along with slides!).

Then we had the first of 2 workshops. Some of us decided to use the time wisely, completing (or at least starting) the homework we had been set while others chatted to the lecturer about stuff. We did pretty much the same thing in our next workshop session, but the ones we have this week are likely to be used to write assignment drafts and figure out our UCAS stuff.

Then, study skills! Fun, fun, fun. We filled in a couple of multi choice questionnaires about our learning styles and talked a little more about meeting the assignment criteria set out in all the subjects.

Then one more workshop and that was it! For this one I did some of the homework we had been set and that was it!! First week complete!

Let me know how you are all getting on and I will write up this weeks diary over the weekend :biggrin:

Happy Learning x
I had my induction yesterday; from 10am - 12pm we were in one of the lecture theatres where we had two different departments in, the first one was with the student well being team where she used the story of James and The Giant Peach creatively so we wrote down what skills and qualities we have, what are our H.U.G.G's (Huge Unbelievably Giant Goals) are, if we were to have any barriers and what we would to do solve them. Then came the talk with the library them where they showed us how to get onto UDo (the uni's version of Blackboard) and how to use the Library website.

After lunch we got split up into 5 groups (they are 130 of us) where we did a bingo icebreaker, a quiz on the Uni, sorting our timetables etc! It finished at 3pm; it was a great day!

Today was enrolment day; me and my friend got there at 9:40 (our time was 10:00) but they let us in early where the tutor just highlighted our subjects we are taking and sent us off to the library to do our enrolment; when we got to the library the staff gave us our student number and password and sent us to a computer to do our online enrolment ourselves (thankfully my student finance has already been processed by the Uni) this took 5 mins, we then had to go over to a group of the enrolment officers who just went over our details and then took the dreaded pic! After that we collected our cards and that was it; it took 30 minutes in total!

Roll on Monday :smile:

My student card:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1379103068.610028.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok so my second day went like this:

10am - 11:30am More introduction, locations of classrooms/tutor, lecturer contact details/moodle (college intranet/blackboard system)/discussed the qualifications and UCAS application/quickscan (checks for dyslexia and gives you a learning style report with some helpful tips).

1pm - 3pm Health and safety chat and more discussion on UCAS application.

Induction now over and my first lectures begin on Monday 16th September, I can't wait to finally get started (I am doing physics, advanced maths and environmental science (I only need to do 1 unit in environmental science, but I am going to try and finish all the units if I can fit the lectures in).
Original post by MrEFeynman
Ok so my second day went like this:

10am - 11:30am More introduction, locations of classrooms/tutor, lecturer contact details/moodle (college intranet/blackboard system)/discussed the qualifications and UCAS application/quickscan (checks for dyslexia and gives you a learning style report with some helpful tips).

1pm - 3pm Health and safety chat and more discussion on UCAS application.

Induction now over and my first lectures begin on Monday 16th September, I can't wait to finally get started (I am doing physics, advanced maths and environmental science (I only need to do 1 unit in environmental science, but I am going to try and finish all the units if I can fit the lectures in).

How did your first week go?? After all the obligatory talks, i have to say its the best feeling actually getting stuck in! Very excited for you - Environmental science isn't too bad but remember not to bog yourself down with too much! Keep focused on what you want to do at the end of it all.

September 18th and 19th 2013

What a week! It's only week 3 and we have learnt so much already that it feels like we have been there for a lot longer. I think we were all hit with the pressure of it all this week - everyone seemed tired and a bit more stressed about it all but i think its just a case of getting used to learning again!

I completed the first draft of my key skills portfolio which i am very proud of myself for. I'm actually keeping on top of things and even my mathematical ability has increased (which means i am feeling more positive about the dreaded maths GCSE exam next year).

I've found my dissertation topic - It's something i can use to cover ALL the subjects we are studying (biology, chemistry, physiology and health) which i think will get me extra points. I've also done a bit of in depth research about it from a health and safety and technical point of view (as this is something that can be prevented with home safety checks etc) so i am hoping that will cover the "autonomy" part of the grading descriptors.

And now we get to the fun part.... UCAS!

We had a talk about how to fill in your ucas application and the general process. It was very informative, but quite scary that we have to have them done and ready to send by late october (so that the tutors can reference) ready for the January deadline! On top of that we have 2 exams and submission deadlines to meet over those 2 weeks - i guess thats when it will all feel a lot more real!

I also found myself widening my options out after speaking to our biology lecturer, who had actually done the very same access course at the college and decided she wanted to teach it! I am now considering going down the teaching route after the degree but we will have to see where the year takes me....

So what have the rest of you been up to?
Original post by mollydblybarrly
How did your first week go?? After all the obligatory talks, i have to say its the best feeling actually getting stuck in! Very excited for you - Environmental science isn't too bad but remember not to bog yourself down with too much! Keep focused on what you want to do at the end of it all.

Glad to hear you're psyched and thank you for the nudge to remind me to update. :wink:

September 16th - September 19th

11:15 - 12:45 (Monday)
Environmental science: introduction to the topic about 10 mins then straight into work. A couple of quick experiments, one included reanimating some yeast bacteria in a soil sample (there were 3 samples and we had to record what we saw at specific time intervals). We then got into discussing the atmosphere of Earth and how important it is for life to exist on this planet. Briefly discussed atmosphere on Mars.

13:30 - 15:00 (Monday)
Environmental science: continued work on atmospheres, went into more depth and compared the atmospheres of Earth, Venus, Mercury and Mars and how they affect the temperature and climate stability of each planet. Found out our first assignment was going to be on Earths atmosphere and how it impacts the viability of life, part of the assignment covers whether it is possible to create a stable atmosphere on Mars (which would be viable for life).

15:00 - 17:30 (Tuesday)
Physics: Started with some experiments which utilised tuning forks (in regards to sound waves). Spent the rest of the lesson learning about sound waves, types of waves, propagation, some basic maths.

09:00 - 11:00 (Wednesday)
Physics: Continued with waves, worked on some basic standard form maths. First unit is called "Core Physics". We did a couple of question sheets after taking some notes and discussing waves. Received a question sheet for home study. I finished this that night when I got home.

11:15 - 12:45 (Wednesday)
Environmental science: Workshop, this is used to catch up on work, ask any questions you may need answering regarding coursework and assignments etc

13:30 - 15:00 (Wednesday)
Environmental science: We started going much more into depth about Earths atmosphere, the different layers, what their functions involve, discussed the composition in detail and also talked about ozone. Watched some documentary clips.

09:30 - 11:00 (Thursday)
Tutorial: We discussed what tutorials are there for, i.e. discussing any problems you may be having, the odd presentation or event. We were told we would have roughly one 1 to 1 tutorial each month and don't have to attend the rest of the time.

11:15 - 12:45 (Thursday)
Study skills: We discussed the units involved and found out that a specific unit in this part of the course was required to pass the course. If you had other optional modules which could replace the other modules (5 modules in total) then you could skip the others if you wanted to. Although it was pointed out the first module was all about your UCAS application, hence it wouldn't really require much extra work, so we may as well do it for the extra credits.

13:30 - 15:00 (Thursday)
Physics workshop: We did a little advanced maths which is used in physics. Handed in our question sheets. Then we discussed which course books we would like to use and chose and ordered them. We finished with our tutor explaining 3 of the units we will be studying and how the last 2 are for us to choose. There are four options and we need to vote as a class, however Energy is more or less a given as everybody seems to want to do that unit.

15:15 - 16:45 (Thursday)
GCSE Maths: First unit is numbers. Basic mathematical language, integers, prime numbers etc. Then straight into a quick question sheet, followed by another question sheet which was part of the unit coursework. We were told we could download the coursework question booklet for this unit if we felt confident to complete it via prior knowledge. I done this and completed it, which means I don't have to attend GCSE Maths until the next unit is put online. The unit is pretty basic, standard form, interest simple/compound, unit conversion table with questions etc.

Well that was my first week, I will soon have GCSE English and Further Maths (A2 level maths) to add to my timetable. It was a fun week all in all. I got to know a few of my classmates and they all seem to be really easy to get along with. Now I am looking forward to tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending