The Student Room Group

I feel like killing my brother

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Do your parents do nothing about it?

My mum doesn't. My dad does, when he is at the house. But my brother should not be a nutcase, dad being at home or not.
Sounds quite similar to my Girlfriends younger sister. Difficult situation indeed and not one I've been able to think of a solution to alas. All I can say is that you are quite within your rights to defend any family member from being harmed but don't inflict violence upon your brother. The whole family needs to seek a solution to the issue and together. Before damage to the family relationships is inflicted that sometimes can't easily be healed.
As two people already suggested, call the police, if you use your landline though be aware that the "anonymous neighbour" excuse won't work. They have a monitor showing where all calls are coming from in-case the caller has to hang up quickly.

just tell them you wish to remain anonymous
Reply 23
Sounds like my 17 year old brother.
Original post by Anonymous
He swears at my mum.

He swears at my sister. He hits her as well (I think).

He's screaming on top of his lungs in the house as if he is a ****ing king. He demands things to be done for him, otherwise he'll go ape****. He's currently holding a pair of scissors, threatening to poke anyone who gets near him.

I just choked him (almost choked him out) but stopped because my mum had a go at me. At the same time he dug the scissors in my forearm.

I just cannot tolerate his behaviour any more.

He's 19 years old by the way.

**** like this is why I don't particularly feel like having children. My mum and dad raised him as well as they could - same way as they raised me and my sister, and we both turned out to be absolutely fine. But what you sadly cannot dictate is the kind of friends a person keeps. My brother's friends are total ****heads, and I suspect this is why he has changed for the worse ever since sixth form. I believe that was the start of his mental spree.

I thought he would actually start to behave after landing a decent IT job, but guess not. He's still as crazy as ever, if not more crazy.

Take it you're a boy? Does he treat you like crap as well? Try reporting him
Reply 25
My mum doesn't. My dad does, when he is at the house. But my brother should not be a nutcase, dad being at home or not.

Make sure your dad has a word with your brother about the way he acts when dad's not around; also, tell your dad every time your brother misbehaves when he's out.
He swears at my mum.

He swears at my sister. He hits her as well (I think).

He's screaming on top of his lungs in the house as if he is a ****ing king. He demands things to be done for him, otherwise he'll go ape****. He's currently holding a pair of scissors, threatening to poke anyone who gets near him.

I just choked him (almost choked him out) but stopped because my mum had a go at me. At the same time he dug the scissors in my forearm.

**** like this is why I don't particularly feel like having children. My mum and dad raised him as well as they could - same way as they raised me and my sister, and we both turned out to be absolutely fine. But what you sadly cannot dictate is the kind of friends a person keeps. My brother's friends are total ****heads, and I suspect this is why he has changed for the worse ever since sixth form. I believe that was the start of his mental spree.

I thought he would actually start to behave after landing a decent IT job, but guess not. He's still as crazy as ever, if not more crazy.

My brother used to behave like this, always getting angry over really stupid things or cause he couldnt do what he wanted. He was really bad at school, chucking stuff and shouting at the teachers.

He has been diagnosed with autism and things have gotten better.

Not saying that is defiantly the problem, but I think he should get checked out
Reply 27
Ok, I have some good news - at least he doesn't hit my sister. He simply threatens her and throws a barrage of insults and swearwords.
Reply 28
Original post by chronicking
As two people already suggested, call the police, if you use your landline though be aware that the "anonymous neighbour" excuse won't work. They have a monitor showing where all calls are coming from in-case the caller has to hang up quickly.

just tell them you wish to remain anonymous

IMO calling the police is not a good idea. Sure, he's shouting and screaming, but it's not like as if he has murdered someone.

I've told my sister to speak to my dad and we will see where it will go from there. But really, at most, my dad can either have a go at him or maybe hit him depending on how bad he gets. But this cycle will probably continue.
IMO calling the police is not a good idea. Sure, he's shouting and screaming, but it's not like as if he has murdered someone.

I've told my sister to speak to my dad and we will see where it will go from there. But really, at most, my dad can either have a go at him or maybe hit him depending on how bad he gets. But this cycle will probably continue.

He could always kick him out of the house if he doesn't start behaving...
I suppose your right, unless there is a crime the police can't really do anything.

Speaking to your dad should help, it sounds like he's the only one who has any control over him.

A kicking probably won't solve anything, but on the other hand it might, that's more of a case by case thing.

I hope you don't mind me asking but does he take drugs or anything?
IMO calling the police is not a good idea.

I disagree

He needs to understand how unacceptable his behaviour is

He probably needs a shock to understand just how far he has gone across the line
This sounds very similar to my brother, who is now 20. He used to and still kind of does shout around the house, slams doors, doesn't respect my mum and dad at all etc. It even went to the extend that they tried kicking him out, which really, was very emotional for me (being the younger sibling) and I really looked up to him and cared about him a lot. It's a horrible situation I'll admit, and it is frustrating. There isn't an awful lot you can do, my brother for example hasn't really changed an awful lot and still carries around that sort of behavior. So really, the only thing your parents could do is try to discipline him as strictly as possible and try to be thorough with that. Sorry to hear about that, and I complete sympathies with you.
Reply 33
Original post by chronicking
I suppose your right, unless there is a crime the police can't really do anything.

Speaking to your dad should help, it sounds like he's the only one who has any control over him.

A kicking probably won't solve anything, but on the other hand it might, that's more of a case by case thing.

I hope you don't mind me asking but does he take drugs or anything?

Takes no drugs thankfully.

There have been situations where my brother has really annoyed my dad, who immediately tells him to get the heck out of the house. My brother will walk out, but 30 mins later the family will call him back to come home. lol.
Reply 34
You sound like a sensible person. So sorry to hear your brother doing this to your family. Maybe try to get a one on one with him, talk to him and really tell him how you feel? - Make sure there's someone there incase he tries anything.

I also recommend debating him about the existence of God, and whether or not he believes there will be an ultimate accountability for his actions.
That's good, some people are prone to violent episodes on certain drugs that's why i ask.

How about sending him to live with your dad for a while?

When my uncle was 17 he was a very voilent person, he was presented with the choice of learning to behave or lose his home, he was kicked out but joined the army, when he left he was a changed man.

National service would solve a lot of problems in the youth of today, i myself am joining soon to gain some discipline and good friends.

Sending him to your dads house or giving him a serious ultimatum might work,
He just needs a quick shock back into reality
Reply 36
Original post by anonymous
he swears at my mum.

He swears at my sister. He hits her as well (i think).

**** like this is why i don't particularly feel like having children. My mum and dad raised him as well as they could - same way as they raised me and my sister, and we both turned out to be absolutely fine. But what you sadly cannot dictate is the kind of friends a person keeps. My brother's friends are total ****heads, and i suspect this is why he has changed for the worse ever since sixth form. I believe that was the start of his mental spree.

i thought he would actually start to behave after landing a decent it job, but guess not. He's still as crazy as ever, if not more crazy

looooooooooooooooooooool
Send him on that show, World's strictest parents.
Or put him in a similar situation to that
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Thats not normal behaviour. He definately needs to see a physiologist or something along those lines
Reply 39
That's sad to hear :frown:

I think that your dad need to step into this dilemma and talk to your brother to "straighten" his act together. Inform him what he is doing wrong, why it is seen unacceptable, why he is doing it.
If he fails to understand, I think another trusted family member should step into the scene.

If he fails to listen to you and your parents, your family should not talk to a spoilt brat like him. Don't give him the attention. He will realise the hard way that what he had done was totally unacceptable and he needs to "man up" and stop pulling hissy fit and acting like a drama queen in the house. He will eventually, at some point, learn from his actions and will come back pleading from forgiveness from you and your family.

I don't think that you need to inform the police at this stage but when matters spiral out that when they step into the dilemma.

Landed a job at IT...lol this dude seriously needs to go military school.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending