The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying for 1+3 funding next year?

I was planning on self-funding a master's this September. However, after receiving my degree results (First with 90% in dissertation), I'm now thinking about the 1+3. This would obviously save me having to get a £10,000 CDL, but it's also very competitive and I'd have to reluctantly take a year out. Does anyone have any statistics to clarify just how competitive it is, i.e. applicants to offer ratio? If I do self-fund a taught master's, will this look bad on a +3 PhD funding application? Do they typically choose research graduates over taught ones?

Also, what is strange is that for my course (Political Theory) it seems I would apply to AHRC funding, however on the university's website it says the MSc Political Theory is designed for ESRC funding - my research proposal is political philosophy and the majority of the modules for the course are political philosophy, so it's a bit odd that they have listed it as ESRC. Appreciate any help as I'm quite clueless about studentships.
Reply 1
Firstly, I'm on my phone so sorry for the brevity.

They would not look down on a self-funded taught masters. The 1+3 usually consists of a taught masters followed by a PhD, as most research masters are 2 years (e.g the MPhil).

My understanding of the AHRC/ESRC divide is as follows. For classical political theory such as Aristotle, Seneca etc, it is AHRC, same for Hobbes, Locke etc. For contemporary or analytical theory it is the ESRC. Remember though that political theory and philosophy are not exactly interchangeable: if you did work on Nietzsche's philosophy on democracy you'd probably be looking at AHRC. Political theory in the vein of Rawls, Nozick and Pogge would probably fall in the realm of ESRC. Moreover, the Msc course you rrefer to would probably have methodology elements, which forces it into ESRC. I'd speak to your supervisor though.

I am also looking at theory masters and beyond but just finished my second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending