The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Calculating first year grade for CV/placements

Good day, all.

I have my module results back from the university and everything looks good. During the year I made an Excel spreadsheet of my grades, their weighting and things like that, any they all match... So that's good!

I'm just wondering if I've calculated my final grade for the first year correctly (First, 2:1, 2:2, etc) as well as the right percentage grade. I'd just like to put it in my CV and have something to show to companies when I start applying for placements in September.

I understand that the lowest scoring module in year 2+3 or just year 3 is discarded (provided it's not a "critical" mark like a dissertation or something), but is the same applied to the first year in essence? Could I just count my top 100 credits from my 120 credits? My lowest scoring modules are a 10 credit and one 20 credit module, so how would that work?

Also, I have basically worked out my rough grade by multiplying the grade percentage by the total credits that module was worth (so 50% in a 10 credit module means I have scored 5 points) and then totalled up how many "credits" I've scored and divided it by the total credits, 120.

So yeah, is this correct? I don't believe we're given an official report other than pass/fail.

Cheers
Reply 1
Hey SillyEddy,

Because the degree award encompasses multiple different aspects, we don't explicitly state a first, upper second for intermediate points of the degree etc as this would cause confusion. However, you can calculate the average percentage attained for the year by adding your two 10credit modules together and dividing that by two, then adding the remaining modules to this and dividing by the amount minus one.

Eg.

50% 10 credit
80% 10 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit

(50+80)/2 = 65

(65+60+60+60+60+60)/6 = 60.83% average for the year.

As you've rightly said, the final degree classification as noted in your course handbook would be the average of the top 100 level 3 credits (may have certain modules which have to be included)
OR
The average of the top 220 level 2 + level 3 credits with a maximum of 120 from level 2 and meeting certain criteria in terms of included modules.

I hope that makes sense?
Also, if you need any help with your CV or with finding placements, drop by and see EC Futures (I believe that you are an EC student from previous posts I have seen [If not, my apologies, but central careers offer a similar service] :smile: ), it is what they are here for, to give you the best service that we can.

Kind regards,
James Marsden - EC Social Media Team
(edited 10 years ago)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Cov Uni
Hey SillyEddy,

Because the degree award encompasses multiple different aspects, we don't explicitly state a first, upper second for intermediate points of the degree etc as this would cause confusion. However, you can calculate the average percentage attained for the year by adding your two 10credit modules together and dividing that by two, then adding the remaining modules to this and dividing by the amount minus one.

Eg.

50% 10 credit
80% 10 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit
60% 20 credit

(50+80)/2 = 65

(65+60+60+60+60+60)/6 = 60.83% average for the year.

As you've rightly said, the final degree classification as noted in your course handbook would be the average of the top 100 level 3 credits (may have certain modules which have to be included)
OR
The average of the top 220 level 2 + level 3 credits with a maximum of 120 from level 2 and meeting certain criteria in terms of included modules.

I hope that makes sense?
Also, if you need any help with your CV or with finding placements, drop by and see EC Futures (I believe that you are an EC student from previous posts I have seen [If not, my apologies, but central careers offer a similar service] :smile: ), it is what they are here for, to give you the best service that we can.

Kind regards,

I have to say that's a brilliant reply and brilliant support to your students :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Cov Uni
I hope that makes sense?

Kind regards,

Okay, super. I think my average grade has been worked out correctly with all the modules considered.

Must I include all 120 credits in this first year estimate though? I see what you mean about years 2 and 3, but year 1 is a bit of a dead zone... Especially when E&C (yep, you're right that I'm one of 'em) will probably have the largest proportion of students leaving to go onto placements. I'll be sure to check out EC Futures and the career services when I get back in September.

I mean, considering all modules would be fine,but just the top ones would be that little bit better. I just don't want to accidentally lie on applications if the university is providing different estimates.
Reply 4
Original post by Rybee
I have to say that's a brilliant reply and brilliant support to your students :smile:

I've had a lot of successful communication between staff, volunteers and other university members in the past year. On a forum where it's "Oxbridge or nothing", Coventry sure ain't bad. E&C is a decent faculty.
Reply 5
Original post by SillyEddy
Okay, super. I think my average grade has been worked out correctly with all the modules considered.

Must I include all 120 credits in this first year estimate though? I see what you mean about years 2 and 3, but year 1 is a bit of a dead zone... Especially when E&C (yep, you're right that I'm one of 'em) will probably have the largest proportion of students leaving to go onto placements. I'll be sure to check out EC Futures and the career services when I get back in September.

I mean, considering all modules would be fine,but just the top ones would be that little bit better. I just don't want to accidentally lie on applications if the university is providing different estimates.

Hey SillyEddy,

How you display your results to potential employers is up to you, you may want to cherry-pick the best modules which are most related to the position you are applying for, or even break it down into particularly good coursework pieces. One thing I would like to point out is that if we are contacted and asked to confirm a students results, we are unable to confirm either way. We take data protection very seriously and your results belong to you and only you, we will not pass this information on to anyone. This is the reason why upon completion of your degree while you are a graduand (finished but not graduated) we will issue a letter through the post to the registered address, in order for people to confirm the result with employers before getting their certificate at graduation.

Personally I put the whole year average percentage and then broke it down in to relevant coursework for the role I was applying for :smile:

Hope this helps,

Original post by Rybee

Thanks Rybee :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Cov Uni
Hey SillyEddy,

How you display your results to potential employers is up to you, you may want to cherry-pick the best modules which are most related to the position you are applying for, or even break it down into particularly good coursework pieces. One thing I would like to point out is that if we are contacted and asked to confirm a students results, we are unable to confirm either way. We take data protection very seriously and your results belong to you and only you, we will not pass this information on to anyone. This is the reason why upon completion of your degree while you are a graduand (finished but not graduated) we will issue a letter through the post to the registered address, in order for people to confirm the result with employers before getting their certificate at graduation.

Personally I put the whole year average percentage and then broke it down in to relevant coursework for the role I was applying for :smile:

Hope this helps,

Thanks Rybee :smile:

Interesting. I thought it was policy that employers could ask to see that information.

I shall certainly keep that in mind and play it to my strengths, cheers!
Reply 7
Dear james,

please how do i calculate for a postgraduate degree to be sure if am on a merit or pass

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest