The Student Room Group

What best to do - Midwifery

Hello everyone :-)

I want to be a midwife, I really want to be a midwife!

I'm in my first year of another degree but I think I am going to leave as I know it is not for me and all I can think about it becoming a midwife and how to get there.

I don't really have the best grades - B,C,D (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at A-Level, and I don't want to let these put me off, but obviously they might not be good enough.

My friend is a midwife as has written my reference and gone over my PS, and she has also told me she is going to see if she could arrange for me to 'shadow' her for a day where she works.

What would anyone suggest to improve my change of getting into Uni?
Reply 1
I think you should call up universities you're interested in, and speak to them directly about your grades, and whether its good enough.. Or what they suggest, different unis have different requirements.. So you won't know unless you ask. Maybe you could re-sit the ones you've not done so well on?

Also get as much relevant work experience as possible and make sure to talk about the transferable skills you have acquired from these work experiences. At some point you will have to discuss why you left your previous degree as a commitment is very important, so find out when it's appropriate to address this, and make sure you think about what you will say. (You don't want to come across as someone who is not committed).

If you are passionate about midwifery then I'm sure you will get a place.. You are doing everything right so far, keep at it... and Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Shani11
I think you should call up universities you're interested in, and speak to them directly about your grades, and whether its good enough.. Or what they suggest, different unis have different requirements.. So you won't know unless you ask. Maybe you could re-sit the ones you've not done so well on?

Also get as much relevant work experience as possible and make sure to talk about the transferable skills you have acquired from these work experiences. At some point you will have to discuss why you left your previous degree as a commitment is very important, so find out when it's appropriate to address this, and make sure you think about what you will say. (You don't want to come across as someone who is not committed).

If you are passionate about midwifery then I'm sure you will get a place.. You are doing everything right so far, keep at it... and Good luck!

Thank you so much.

I'll call up a few universities in the next few days, I'm a little shy as if I am honest I'm ashamed of my grades - I could have done so much better.

I'd consider possibly doing a whole new A-Level, the Chemistry and Physics I struggled with if I'm honest, Chemistry not so much - I could possibly try and see if resiting a module or two could raise my grade from a C to a B.

I'm currently trying to work out what work experience I could get - I'm a little unsure of what is available!

In my PS I tried to address my Zoology degree, saying throughout the year I realized Midwifery was what I wanted to do, but that I felt my first year at Uni had been very rewarding, reminding me how much I enjoy studying and balancing my free time - I also mentioned about how one of the modules I've done in my first year could possible cross over and help with the pharmacological and biological aspects of the midwifery course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending