The Student Room Group

Relationship problem - two different religions and families.

My boyfriend of a year if Indian and I am African.
His parents forbid us being together and ever since he firsts two months they think we're just friends but they don't wanna see me anywhere near them or as anything else. I know the main problem they have is understanding why their son is in love so 'young' (he is 18) and why he is with a non-Indian girl. I am actually in love with him and I want to marry him and I know I'm thinking so far ahead but I see us together we are so perfect for each other.

What should I do? I need tips and I need help? I don't know how to deal with his parents because we can't avoid them forever but be will never face them about it..
Aw, that is so cute!
With parents, they 'assume' that they know what is best for us, but they really don't have a clue. Love has no age, and it doesn't have a religion.

It's totally sound if you want to marry him, when you're in love you know you're in love. I do suggest maybe opening up yourself to his parents. It seems that they only see you as a non-Indian girl but see your personality and who you are as a person.

For some reason, many people only see what they want to see. So, I think it is worth you know talking to his parents on a one to one level asking them why they are so against your relationship? His parents aren't going to be here forever, so I do think its worth having a chat with them!

Good luck & I'm so happy for you!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend of a year if Indian and I am African.
His parents forbid us being together and ever since he firsts two months they think we're just friends but they don't wanna see me anywhere near them or as anything else. I know the main problem they have is understanding why their son is in love so 'young' (he is 18) and why he is with a non-Indian girl. I am actually in love with him and I want to marry him and I know I'm thinking so far ahead but I see us together we are so perfect for each other.

What should I do? I need tips and I need help? I don't know how to deal with his parents because we can't avoid them forever but be will never face them about it..

I know how you feel and believe me, the situation is a tricky one. My boyfriend is Indian (born and raised in England as were his parents) and I am white. We have decided to wait for a bit until he introduces me because their reaction might not be as drastic but it will still be a shock to them. My advice is, take things slowly and at the end of the day if you guys are meant to be, you will find a way. Even if his parents don't get used to the fact his son is not in love with an Indian woman (which they most probably will considering they love him), then unfortunately he will have to pay the price.
Good luck!
OP check out my Q if it makes you feel any better to know other people are dealing with similar situations... :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2396633
Reply 4
I'm glad you've found the one, OP. :smile:
Since you need tips, here's one.
Try getting acquainted with his mother tongue. There are tutorials online that will help you. Once you're confident, you could try speaking with him/them. Once they see you're genuine and really in love with their son. they'll warm up to you. Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply