Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Law at OU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bubblyminty
You also may want to take a look at this:

http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf
and
http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/media/177918/bar_barometer_nov_2012.pdf

Law is becoming an increasingly difficult profession to get into, there are simply too many people wanting to become solicitors or barristers. Going to uni is your best bet, the traditional route. Doing an OU course will almost guarantee that you will not be successful. If people from top ranking unis get rejected on the BPTC course and gaining pupillage, you will even more so.If you can, then go to a good university and study Law. In England, chambers are mostly looking for Oxford, Cambridge and Durham etc students as shown in those above reports. Only the best of the best can study the Law and of course, become a barrister. It is much more difficult to become a Barrister than a solicitor and the rejection rates for pupillage 1 in 6 I think.

I don't think you will find any lawyer who did an OU course in Law or any chambers or firms wanting to accept an OU graduate over an Oxford Law graduate. Be realistic- the world of Law is ferocious.

I'm afraid you are completely wrong and seem not to understand the fact that the OU don't just provide a law course but a qualifying law degree as well as additional law courses.

It is possible to get a qualifying law degree from the OU and what's more, the OU qualifying law degree is highly respected academically; in fact OU stuents must score more highly than students in other institutions in order to gain a high class of degree. You may also be surprised to realise that the OU have outshone all brick universities in a national mooting competition. More than once.

Many OU law graduates have gone on to have very successful legal careers as both barristers and solicitors. So, your argument is fundamentally flawed and basically plain wrong.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 61
Original post by Knalchemist

No matter what anyone says, the university you go to to study Law DOES matter. If you look at the kind of firm you want to work in, look at the RECENT solicitors (not the older ones) and see where they graduated from. You will see that they are most likely to be from the top universities etc.

*Waves hands in the air* I am a RECENT solicitor. I have an OU Law degree.

The truth is that nobody really took much interest in where I got my degree, they were more concerned that I had passed the LPC.

I accept that there still exists some snobbery within legal circles and that to some being 23 with a degree from Oxford will be the only way to go but the truth is that the profession as a whole is becoming more accessible and those old fashioned views are increasingly challenged.

It really is possible for people to succeed just as easily with an OU law degree as it is with any other law degree. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Coffinman
Legal aid is little more than benefits for lawyers who already seem to do alright what with the protectionist measures which restrict competition as seen in this thread.
I think we can manage with a few less yobs getting off with petty crime.

Errr...Not all lawyers doing legal aid work are working in criminal law. There is also civil legal aid which in the past has been used to help people unfairly dismissed by their employers or tackle discrimination (examples for illustrative purposes only).

Lawyers operating under legal aid contracts often have no other income and are less well paid than many in other professions. We are not all fat cats getting rich from large state handouts!
I applied to study beginners law at uni as a short course (it was cancelled as too many people dropped out)

It was very confusing at we only had one class, I remember there being a lot of Latin phrases (im not good with languages lol)

dont know what the degree is like but it maybe hard
In answer your point:

1. OU course is NOT legitimate: http://www.sra.org.uk/students/courses/qualifying-law-degree-providers.page (you will see that the Open University is not listed)

Here is a list of basic requirements for barristers:http://www.prospects.ac.uk/barrister_entry_requirements.htm (and of course you will see that you need a qualifying degree, same for solicitors)

And here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate/what-is-a-qualifying-law-degree

Re point #1, O comes after N and before P. At least troll properly, especially if you're going to link to it.
Reply 65
Original post by waqqy
Hello everyone

Am new to this and am sorry if this has been posted already , but I'm thinking of doing a Law degree at the OU , am 23 , been out of education since 18 , working in travel , but recently done jury service, got to spend time with barristers in court , speaking to them and etc, and its inspired me to work in Law, help represent people and prove their innocence or guilt, etc.

However I've got no Law background, i'm just worried that because I have no law background I may find it difficult and not understand anything

Can anyone who is doing Law at the OU help me out , tell me what its like and etc ??

Thanks in advance :smile:
Waqqy

Hey I am starting LLB with the OU in October :-)
Reply 66
There are plenty of universities which welcome mature students- providing that they have the academic ability. My view may be restricted but at least it is realistic. Law is only getting more popular and more fierce, even after training, you are not guaranteed a job. And finding training is no easy feat- especially for someone who does not hold a legitimate degree from a a well-known uni. Ask any lawyer, they will only tell you the same.

Only the best people can be a lawyers, and law firms will be questioning your ability to become a lawyer if you don't have an excellent academic background. And in the world of Law, having an excellent academic background means a 2:1 or a first class degree from a highly-ranked established university. There are very, very few lawyers who don't hold such an achievement today. And virtually all aspiring lawyers who actually have a chance of making it will be in the same position. So why disadvantage yourself? Why aim for a coveted and fierce job when you are most likely wasting time and money?

Being a barrister is not suitable for the run of the mill person who suddenly wants to become a lawyer because litigation seems fascinating.

what makes you think if you don't put the effort in you cant get 2:1 with a OU LLB
Reply 67
Actually my view is only realistic. I have done my research into what it takes to study and get a career in Law. I have spoken to various solicitors, law students and top barristers and asked for their honest and reliable advice.

I think it's admirable that you have bothered to go out and do your research and the advice that you have elicited from solicitors and barristers - get good A levels, go to a top university, do lots of extra curricular activities - is sound advice. For a 17-year-old. For a mature student it will be different.

I've just graduated with a 1st in Law from the OU and am starting on the Bar Professional Training Course this September. I have crap A levels BUT I do have many years experience working in a related field. I've been awarded a scholarship from one of the Inns of Court to do the BPTC and it seems unlikely that they would dish them out to complete no-hopers.
Reply 68
Original post by Railybobs
I registered to join this forum just to say what has been said above.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the path that the LAW SOCIETY has advised for me is correct. As they are the governing body, I will take their lead.

I wish all well with their studies but will refuse to be advised and guided by a condescending and patronising 17 year old who has born their own opinion based on a Google search and NOT through hard work and personal research.

One would also like to point out that ambitions are for all and not just for children. To spend so much time trying to dash those hopes and aspirations of many, I find nothing short of selfish and quite possibly the actions of one whom may have been born with a silver spoon......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply :smile: appreciate the kind words and I agree with what you've said , I've agreed to go ahead and try it out. Fingers crossed hey !!

Original post by The Lawman
Hi Waqqy,

I have a first in Laws from the OU which is a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) as recognised by the Bar Council and the Law Society and am guaranteed a place on the LPC with the College of Law which is the professional qualification for solicitors. So long as you get a 2.1 you would be fine.

Try to ignore the buffoon on here who seems to think he knows about the law but cannot understand that A levels are not an issue - solicitors and barristers are made by their legal education and training not what they did at 17 years old.

There are many practicing solicitors and barristers with OU LLB (Hons) degrees and this is a great route if you cannot afford to go full time. You get up to 6 years I believe to complete the course.

Good luck and don't let the trolls get you down!

Thank you ever so much for your kind words :smile: it goes to show that the OU degree is not pointless and you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it. I really do appreciate your kind words, thank you once again !!

Original post by JustJules
*Waves hands in the air* I am a RECENT solicitor. I have an OU Law degree.

The truth is that nobody really took much interest in where I got my degree, they were more concerned that I had passed the LPC.

I accept that there still exists some snobbery within legal circles and that to some being 23 with a degree from Oxford will be the only way to go but the truth is that the profession as a whole is becoming more accessible and those old fashioned views are increasingly challenged.

It really is possible for people to succeed just as easily with an OU law degree as it is with any other law degree. :smile:

Woohoo :smile: congrats !! that's amazing , hopefully I can achieve great success like yourself , how long did it take you ??

Original post by LisaConlin

YAYYY Lisa :smile: how long did it take you to decide ?? we can be study buddies :P
Silly me thinking that law required you to be able to do your research at a higher level than scrolling through an alphabetical list, regardless of which uni you study with. :rolleyes: Guess it's not for everyone!

I'm pleased to see some success stories on here, I've been looking at studying law at The OU as I'm 22 and in full time work with a mortgage to pay so I can't just drop everything to study. I found Unistats provided some interesting figures, the data that has been collected there shows that law with the OU produces some decent grades. Good luck with your studies OP, I'm still doing my A levels (distance learning) so won't be starting a degree for a couple of years. :smile:
One more thing, the fact that you can't spell or type properly says something. Excellent written skills is one of the most important things for those who want to study Law and practise law, as well as speaking and advocacy skills. If you cannot use basic english and grammar, you are screwed. Most people who want to become a barrister have A*/A in their A-level English- a subject which unis like. And people who are recruiting barristers also look at your A-levels to see how intelligent you are.

"Can't spell or type properly"?! In a later post you say 'Russel group". It's Russell group - don't criticise other people if you're also making errors!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think everyone should take bubblyminty supposed 'insights' into the legal profession with the biggest pinch of salt...
Original post by LisaConlin

Me too!

This has been such an informative thread!

Follow your dreams, who knows where they will take you! ⭐🎸

Posted from TSR Mobile
In answer your point:

1. OU course is NOT legitimate: http://www.sra.org.uk/students/courses/qualifying-law-degree-providers.page (you will see that the Open University is not listed)

Here is a list of basic requirements for barristers:http://www.prospects.ac.uk/barrister_entry_requirements.htm (and of course you will see that you need a qualifying degree, same for solicitors)

And here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate/what-is-a-qualifying-law-degree

Check this barrister Bubbly

http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/careers/student-stories/jane-heybroek-barrister
http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/careers/student-stories/sean-walsh-trainee-solicitor

Oh, and don't forget Abraham Lincoln
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Lawman
Hi Waqqy,

I have a first in Laws from the OU which is a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) as recognised by the Bar Council and the Law Society and am guaranteed a place on the LPC with the College of Law which is the professional qualification for solicitors. So long as you get a 2.1 you would be fine.

Try to ignore the buffoon on here who seems to think he knows about the law but cannot understand that A levels are not an issue - solicitors and barristers are made by their legal education and training not what they did at 17 years old.

There are many practicing solicitors and barristers with OU LLB (Hons) degrees and this is a great route if you cannot afford to go full time. You get up to 6 years I believe to complete the course.

Good luck and don't let the trolls get you down!

Hi Lawman, great to read your comments. How did you get on with your LPC, and how is your legal career going?

Quick Reply

Latest