The Student Room Group

I'm struggling to decide what to wear for a job interview. Help!

Hi I've mentioned in a previous post that I have got a job interview with Starbucks but I really don't know what to wear. Please help?
Reply 1
Unless it is a very unusual job with specific reasons not to wear xyz (acting, mountain guide) you should always wear a suit to all interviews. In all likelihood, it won't make much of a difference to Starbucks, but it is a norm you should get used to and it can't hurt.
Reply 2
Original post by Clip
Unless it is a very unusual job with specific reasons not to wear xyz (acting, mountain guide) you should always wear a suit to all interviews. In all likelihood, it won't make much of a difference to Starbucks, but it is a norm you should get used to and it can't hurt.

Would it matter depending on the specific role ie a barista? I was thinking of a suit but would I be overdressed?
Original post by JackJ18
Would it matter depending on the specific role ie a barista? I was thinking of a suit but would I be overdressed?
Suit seems excessive for a job in a coffee shop - I'd dress roughly as you would on the job - smart trousers - shirt - smart shoes. Or just ask them - I'm sure they'll be happy to advise you.
Reply 4
Original post by MancStudent098
Suit seems excessive for a job in a coffee shop - I'd dress roughly as you would on the job - smart trousers - shirt - smart shoes. Or just ask them - I'm sure they'll be happy to advise you.

Yeah I agree with that. Would you go for the "business-casual" approach? Was also thinking of black jeans/trousers and a shirt with smart shoes.
Original post by JackJ18
Yeah I agree with that. Would you go for the "business-casual" approach? Was also thinking of black jeans/trousers and a shirt with smart shoes.
To me business casual means suit but no tie which again I think is too much.

How about finding out what Starbucks employees wear in their day to day (not much of a Starbucks customer but I think it's generally dark trousers, white or black shirt, smart shoes) and then wearing that, it'll show you've thought about it and also show the interviewer that you can look right in the job.
Reply 6
I would just wear a suit tbh, you cannot overdress for an interview but you can easily under-dress.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutta
I would just wear a suit tbh, you cannot overdress for an interview but you can easily under-dress.

That's what I'm concerned about. I want to look smart but I don't want to look too casual.
Reply 8
Original post by JackJ18
That's what I'm concerned about. I want to look smart but I don't want to look too casual.

Just wear a suit mate, honestly it makes you look like you are serious about the job over someone who turns up in trainers and jeans with a Manchester United T Shirt....... I say that because i had a interview at Aldi a couple of years back and that's what i wore...... I was lucky because it was a work experience scheme for when i was at school. In my review they did say that i should dress more appropriately for interviews.
Wear a suit - first impressions make all the difference!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Kutta
Just wear a suit mate, honestly it makes you look like you are serious about the job over someone who turns up in trainers and jeans with a Manchester United T Shirt....... I say that because i had a interview at Aldi a couple of years back and that's what i wore...... I was lucky because it was a work experience scheme for when i was at school. In my review they did say that i should dress more appropriately for interviews.

Aha I wouldn't even dream of going to a job interview in a football jersey. I want to wear a suit but my closest friends are saying not to wear one. Do you see my problem here?
See I wouldn't wear suit for a retail/high street job interview, I think it's easier for girls because we can just wear a smart dress and blazer.

I'd say smart trousers and smart shoes and maybe a shirt with no tie and no suit jacket.

I wouldn't wear jeans personally.
Original post by JackJ18
Aha I wouldn't even dream of going to a job interview in a football jersey. I want to wear a suit but my closest friends are saying not to wear one. Do you see my problem here?
Reply 12
Original post by lyrical_lie
See I wouldn't wear suit for a retail/high street job interview, I think it's easier for girls because we can just wear a smart dress and blazer.

I'd say smart trousers and smart shoes and maybe a shirt with no tie and no suit jacket.

I wouldn't wear jeans personally.

Yeah I wouldn't wear jeans don't want to give them a bad impression. My interview isn't until next Wednesday so I've got some time to decide what to wear. I'm just trying to get everything prepared early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending