The Student Room Group

Would You Eat GM Food?

There was quite a lot in the news about GM food last week and I can't understand why anybody is scared of it.

Firstly, why are people so afraid to eat it? If the gene, and the protein produced by the gene which has been put in the crop's DNA are completely harmless, how can the food possibly cause you any harm? Surely you're less likely to come to harm by eating GM food because your food will have been grown using less pesticides and/or fertilizer.

I can kind of understand the 'superweed' cross pollination arguments but if it's grown responsibly then surely there won't be any real issue.

I find it annoying when people snobbishly complain about GM whilst ignoring the 1 in 8 people across the world who are staving, and the huge number of people in our own country who can't afford to feed themselves and the rest of their families properly.

Would You Eat GM Food? If not, why not?

P.S. Please, please, please don't mention the 'It's playing God' argument! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
Reply 2
Yes, providing that it had been properly tested. Seems to be the food equivalent of nuclear energy.
Reply 3
Original post by SpiggyTopes

P.S. Please, please, please don't mention the 'It's playing God' argument! :biggrin:

It's playing God! ....it's why I don't eat any vegetables or fruits at all! Damn humans selectively breeding wild types to the extent that what he consider normal fruits and vegetables often look nothing like their wild counterparts. I mean have you seen a natural wild banana?! WHAT HAVE WE DONE?! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, yeah I'd eat it, In America they're usually freaked out about idiotic things yet GM is fine over there. People against it are selfish as you say, producing wheat, corn etc which requires much less water can allow many areas of Africa to begin feeding themselves, yet some people just say no on baseless arguments, fear from ignorance.
Reply 4
Provided it was properly tested then yes.
Reply 5
Of course.
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure my soy milk is from gm soy beans :smile: I don't understand people that won't eat gm crops either, most of them do use antibiotics, which often come from gm yeast etc... Why would it be ok for medication but not for food?
Yes, why not? And I'm sure most of the people saying they wouldn't would quickly change their minds when faced with the level of hunger experienced by some in the third world.
Reply 8
If it tastes nice then yeah why not.
Reply 9
If it's halal yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
A few facts:

GM is a crude technology, based on understandings from the 1970s. While one of the things that you can do with GM (Bt) leads to crops that need less pesticide than their conventional equivalents, another common application (glyphosate tolerance) produces crops that are generally grown with far more weedkiller than conventional ones. As for fertiliser: the problem of getting plants to use fertiliser more efficiently and/or make their own (biological nitrogen fixation) is far too complex to be solved by GM. Similarly, GM has nothing to offer for the very urgent problem of protecting crops against fungal diseases (such as rice blast), which is unfortunate since fungicides are highly toxic, expensive, and tend to lose their effectiveness. And the problem of creating crops that require less water is again something that cannot be approached through GM.

I do believe that science and high technology has a great deal to offer, particularly for farmers in the 'Third World'. Technologies based on 21st-century science (such as molecular breeding) are likely to prove a good deal more effective than GM. However, GM is privately owned (the most effective technique is patented, and Monsanto owns the patent) and so the private sector has an interest in pushing GM (molecular breeding relies on knowledge that is in the public domain and there is little scope for patenting and private ownership).
Reply 11
If it had been properly tested for safety beforehand then sure, why not?
Original post by cakefish
If it had been properly tested for safety beforehand then sure, why not?

It HAS been tested for safety: we know more about the safety of most GM crops than about most conventional crops. There is no such thing as certainty, but there seem to be plenty of risks from eating sugar, trans-fats, preservatives (or foods that lack preservatives), mildew that grows on food while it is being stored or transported... and yet no-one has demonstrated any kind of health hazard arising from GM.
Reply 13
Would You Eat GM Food? If not, why not?

I'd rather not, not on health grounds though. Just because **** Monsanto and **** terminator seeds.
Reply 14
Original post by n00
I'd rather not, not on health grounds though. Just because **** Monsanto and **** terminator seeds.

lol

please educate yourself.
Reply 15
Original post by Tabzqt
lol

please educate yourself.

Whats your point?
Reply 16

Did you say something?
Reply 17
If it was cheaper than standard food then the answer is yes.
Reply 18
Original post by n00
Whats your point?

Watch the video and come back to me, please. For your own good.
Monsanto is not "evil" as idiots make out, and they don't even use terminator seeds. I'm absolutely sick of ignorant cretins who spread bull**** about Monsanto without researching anything properly.
Original post by Rakas21
Provided it was properly tested then yes.

You sure Rakas? This picture says the opposite..
http://s7.postimg.org/gzcgg357f/Gfhds.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending