The Student Room Group

Applying with bad predictions/AS grades

Hi,
I performed badly in AS because of external reasons (family, etc). I've been offered to do a year retake but I don't want to do this... I'd prefer to take all of my exams at the end of the year in a terminal fashion.
Obviously, though, I'm not going to be able to reach the top institutions in the country because of my poor AS performance - they'll pretty much instantly reject me because they'll assume I'll perform the same at A2 - which isn't true.
What can/should I do?
A year retake is viable, but seems like a waste of time...
Thanks.
A year retake is not a waste of time. Why are people in such a hurry to get to university? Would you rather get into a bad university doing a course you don't want to do, or retake, get better grades and in doing so, have a better shot at the better universities?

I didn't exactly retake a year, I restarted after dropping IB and taking up A levels, but I don't for a minute regret it. It isn't a waste of time, unless you don't try hard the second time round.
Reply 2
Wait what is YOUR version of bad grades?
Original post by halpme
Hi,
I performed badly in AS because of external reasons (family, etc). I've been offered to do a year retake but I don't want to do this... I'd prefer to take all of my exams at the end of the year in a terminal fashion.
Obviously, though, I'm not going to be able to reach the top institutions in the country because of my poor AS performance - they'll pretty much instantly reject me because they'll assume I'll perform the same at A2 - which isn't true.
What can/should I do?
A year retake is viable, but seems like a waste of time...
Thanks.

First it depends what grades you actually get at AS as to whether they are 'bad' grades.

Secondly, a re-take year isn't a waste of time.

Thirdly, if there were 'circumstances' surrounding your exams, did you submit mitigating circumstances to the Exam Admissions at your college? If your tutors are aware of the 'circumstances' they can delve in to this a little in your reference, which would help your application. They could say like your AS grades are CCC (for example), however if you had not had these issues, you would have got AAA or something.
Reply 4
Hi all,
I understand that retaking a year isn't a waste of time in-itself. However, it could just leave me in the same situation where some of the top institutions just instantly reject me because I've had to do a year retake?
Reply 5
Original post by SannaS
Wait what is YOUR version of bad grades?

All below Cs in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Mostly Ds and Es. They're bad grades.
Reply 6
I know loads of people who did bad at AS and pulled their socks up in year 13 and got amazing grades and applied to top universities, some students tried talking to their teaches to improve their predicted grades and showing them they are capable of the top grades I retook and got in to an extremely competitive course it's alright a year isn't so long,
Original post by halpme
All below Cs in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Mostly Ds and Es. They're bad grades.

If you honestly think you can pull those grades up to top grades in A2, then you could apply to university once you have your A2 grades, and take a gap year? That way you could get some experiences to strengthen your application such as volunteering and/or save up some cash etc.

If that isn't what you want, then you could look in to applying to the 4 year degrees at the better universities, which offer a foundation year as well.
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
If you honestly think you can pull those grades up to top grades in A2, then you could apply to university once you have your A2 grades, and take a gap year? That way you could get some experiences to strengthen your application such as volunteering and/or save up some cash etc.

If that isn't what you want, then you could look in to applying to the 4 year degrees at the better universities, which offer a foundation year as well.

I was going to do this but how do you? Deferred entry doesn't work because apparently they decide/receive your application the year you send it...
Reply 9
I was in the same situation as you this time 2 years ago, but on top of that I HATED my sixth form.

I had family issues up to my ears and became ill because of it and in my first set of exams got CDDEU and knew that I couldn't physically pull them up by resitting whilst also sitting my next 5 papers.

If you feel that you physically could pull the grades up, go crazy and work your butt off.

I however dropped out and went to a different college and learned from mistakes I'd made, tried to figure out the family issues, and I'm happy to say that I've successfully finished college with damn good feeling that I will be going to uni.

The retake isn't a waste, I think it's a blessed opportunity to try again!

Good luck, whatever you do :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ebduff
I was in the same situation as you this time 2 years ago, but on top of that I HATED my sixth form.

I had family issues up to my ears and became ill because of it and in my first set of exams got CDDEU and knew that I couldn't physically pull them up by resitting whilst also sitting my next 5 papers.

If you feel that you physically could pull the grades up, go crazy and work your butt off.

I however dropped out and went to a different college and learned from mistakes I'd made, tried to figure out the family issues, and I'm happy to say that I've successfully finished college with damn good feeling that I will be going to uni.

The retake isn't a waste, I think it's a blessed opportunity to try again!

Good luck, whatever you do :smile:

What are your grades like now?
Reply 11
Original post by halpme
What are your grades like now?

I'm now predicted AAB
Been working at those grades all through college but will be happy if I come out with BBB

It is possible to turn things around! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by halpme
I was going to do this but how do you? Deferred entry doesn't work because apparently they decide/receive your application the year you send it...

Dont apply in September. Apply the following year :smile:
Original post by halpme

What exam board did you use? I do biology as well and my exam board was edexcel, the questions are so annoying, not looking forward to my AS results. :mad:

Anyway, what universities are you thinking of applying to, and what course, because even with bad AS grades some universities will accept you for certain courses.
:smile:
Original post by halpme

they are quite bad (predictable as CCD really) but if you work really hard you could pull that up realistically to BBC/BBB which is decent enough...

I would say average offer is around BBB or 300 UCAS (all the course I looked at where pretty much this and I do science) so unless its medicine or something massively competitive you still have a good shot

I would concentrait on just really pulling them grades up and maybe getting experiance linked to your course, grade arnt everything if your close they will look at you experiance, PS and extra curricular activities

good luck
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending