The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Law LLB (Hons) Students?

Anyone starting in September 2013 and gonna be studying the LLB? :smile:
Reply 1
I will be doing the Law with Business LLB in September! How are you feeling about it?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
I have nooo idea what to expect! So I'm kind of nervous but hoping that as long as I stay on top of the workload I'll be fine :smile: but as for uni in general I can't wait :smile: What about you??
Reply 3
I've just finished my first year with a 1st at Plymouth, so hopefully I'll see you at some of the induction events in September :smile: The uni have changed a couple of the modules for you guys this year so hopefully you'll have an even better time than we did!

Pretty much all of the lecturers are really excellent at what they do, so fingers crossed you enjoy yourself :smile: In terms of what to expect, my own experience was that they ease you in to the course quite gently in the first few weeks and try to get you thinking like an LLB student should. In Constitutional & Administrative Law for example there's a one page 'mini-essay' which you do quite early on, and whilst it does count towards the final module mark, it only works out at about 3% overall or something in the end and provides good feedback.

Make sure you do all of the background reading/tasks before lectures and tutorials (I can say from experience that if you turn up to one of Vicki's contract tutorials unprepared you'll end up feeling pretty silly when she embarks on a huge spiel about offer and acceptance and you have no idea what she's talking about!) You'll also learn to love Hugo's stick men :biggrin:

Don't be nervous, everyone was really friendly to me from the minute I turned up, and if you need any extra help it's always there. There is a lot of work to do if you actually do it properly, but it's not a ridiculous amount or anything in your first year, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the feedback! I'll bear all of that in mind :smile:
Aww damn it. This is for 2013 applicants...I am planning to do LLB Law for September 2014 as I'm in year 12 :smile: By the way guys what subjects did you take at A-level? And what Uni are u all getting in to?
Reply 6
Wow thank you Totoro that's really helpful !
Nigel do you know anyone at Plym already?
Reply 7
One person only! I'm coming from abroad so pretty much on my own in this lol... What was your timetable like Totoro??
Reply 8
I'll try and break it down quickly for you:

Legal Systems and Skills: 1x 2 hour lecture per week + 1x 1 hour tutorial per week
Contract Law: 1x 2 hour lecture per week + 1x 1 hour tutorial per week
Constitutional and Administrative Law: 1x 2 hour lecture per week + 1x 1 hour tutorial per week
Human Rights Law: 1x 2 hour lecture per week + expected to work on study log in place of a tutorial

The other module was Legal Skills and Professional Development which was more of an 'on and off' thing; we generally just had tutorials on a fortnightly basis in the first term, and even less regularly after that with some additional lectures.

In terms of what it will be like for you guys I would imagine that the first three modules I have listed will stay mostly as they are, whereas Human Rights Law and Legal Skills have had the chop completely in favour of something else, so I couldn't really say for those. The lectures are generally quite well spaced throughout the week, and you will get the chance to sign up to tutorial groups at a time that is appropriate for you (sign up fast before you get saddled with the 9am slots!).

If you want you can bunch up most of your tutorials on the same day and get them out of the way, but I wouldn't recommend doing so as you'll probably end up hating that time of the week :smile: Remember tutorials have reading/tasks that accompany them, so you'll want to make sure that you have some time beforehand to get the work done unless you plan on winging it! In all honesty though you really do have plenty of time. You don't actually spend a lot of time in lectures etc. - it's mostly independent study time, which I suppose is either a good or bad thing depending on how you work best.

If there's anything else you want to know I don't mind answering more questions ^^
Omg, I'm going Plymouth to do law in 2014 as well! Not sure i could cope with the amount of work haha! What grades you hoping to get in law a level?
Reply 10
Good luck to everyone getting their results next week! :smile: Looking forward to meeting you all in September :biggrin:
Yes! Actually terrified..how many of you did Law at A Level?
Reply 12
I'm doing Law (LLB Hons) 2013, staying at Randor 343! Thanks for the heads up Totoro :smile: Very excited to start Uni :biggrin:
Original post by NigelHuyton
Anyone starting in September 2013 and gonna be studying the LLB? :smile:

I'm just about to go into 3rd year at Plymouth.

I agree with Totoro, make sure you're prepared for Vicky's tutorials.

Watch out for Kim, she seems terrifying to first years. Make sure you're not talking/on facebook during her lectures.

Nigel Firth is the most depressing man on earth and will immediately tell you that you're destined for failure and will never get a job ever. Do not listen to him, have faith. He's just really bitter.

Also, I'd advise getting as involved in the university's Law Society as much as you can during first year. In second year, we were expected to do advocacy, client interviewing and negotiations practicals as part of our Legal Skills module and getting involved in these as extra curricular activities with the Law Society really helps with this. The society also runs networking events which are great for getting work experience.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/308608695869009/
Also here's our course facebook group :smile: it's really helpful for asking questions and has members from all three stages of the course as well as those who have already graduated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, I noticed that this forum is quite a few years old so I'm presuming that most if not all of you have graduated from Plymouth now?
I'm looking to apply for Law LLB this year but I'm stuck between Plymouth and De Montfort.

What are your honest opinions on Plymouth and the law course?
Original post by bananasandcoffee
Hey, I noticed that this forum is quite a few years old so I'm presuming that most if not all of you have graduated from Plymouth now?
I'm looking to apply for Law LLB this year but I'm stuck between Plymouth and De Montfort.

What are your honest opinions on Plymouth and the law course?

The thread is 5 years old.

Much more sensible to start a fresh one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending