The Student Room Group

Which MFL course focuses least on literature?

I want to study French or Spanish or both, perhaps with Politics .... I am looking for a course that focuses least on literature and more on language, linguistics, translation skills etc - practical spoken language in other words, not study of literature. Any advice?
Original post by lassie
I want to study French or Spanish or both, perhaps with Politics .... I am looking for a course that focuses least on literature and more on language, linguistics, translation skills etc - practical spoken language in other words, not study of literature. Any advice?

Southampton doesn't seem very literature focused at all:
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/5E20D63011A746A281493044EFF90AA9/ug_ml_brochure.pdf
Reply 2
I've heard that Bath and Aston aren't.
Reply 3
Birmingham, Bangor, Portsmouth, Aber all offered language/linguist based courses when I was looking a couple of years ago - .
Don't do Languages at Lancaster if you don't want to do literature. Other unis do courses without anything like that, though, look at the course modules.
I do languages at Newcastle and haven't had to do anything on literature so far. :smile:
I know that UEA does a LOT of translation and interpreting, as does Salford I think... at Newcastle we do a fair bit of translation in Spanish class but haven't done anything on interpreting in first year.
Hmm...I know that Heriot Watt has a translating and interpreting course, and is very much focused on the practical side of language use.
Reply 7
I know UEA and Salford aren't focused on literature at all, and offer both these languages. Your best bet would be to look through all the modules in each of the courses you want to consider. Some courses are more flexible than others, and often emphasize that flexibility. You could also email the departments. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending