The Student Room Group

Will Andy Murray ever be as popular as Tim Henman?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Choosing to ignore the swearing. Cool. :rolleyes:

Murray was mostly swearing at himself. I'd be swearing if I was two sets down in a QF when it's the only year when I can, and probably should, be winning the championship. The vast majority of people swear anyway, it's not really such a big deal unless you're a little child
Anyway, amusing to see the locations of everyone defending Murray compared to everyone attacking. We're all so easily influenced by our locations it seems. :^_^:

Murray is a winner who doesn't b/s people. He's a straight talking no nonsense guy, when he's been crap he's said he's been crap. He lost last year in the final then won in the Olympics against the man who beat him. He's a winner, he's moody because he is a winner.

This is probably why I'm a fan, he doesn't buy into all the gallant loser rubbish that us Brits love.
Reply 22
A peak of 13.2 million people watched Murray-Janowicz in the UK, the biggest semi-final audience in history.

Murray is already more popular than Henman.

Original post by SiMan
Yeah, why is the hill called Henman hill? :confused:

It's not official but I call it Henman Hill because he made it famous and it's a catchy name.

The organisers should have made it official after Tim retired.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
He could be. Murray and Henman are both pretty unique and Murray can use that to his advantage. I'll be biting my nails on the final tonight.
Reply 24
No. Britain loves a nearly man, a valiant loser etc. But Murray's actually quite good at tennis and will no doubt win several grand slams throughout his career.

Tim Henman didn't even reach a grand slam final, he was absolutely rubbish at tennis.

and that's why he's liked.
Does it really matter? He's considerably more successful.

Original post by Wilfred Little
Murray is a winner who doesn't b/s people. He's a straight talking no nonsense guy, when he's been crap he's said he's been crap. He lost last year in the final then won in the Olympics against the man who beat him. He's a winner, he's moody because he is a winner.

This is probably why I'm a fan, he doesn't buy into all the gallant loser rubbish that us Brits love.

This.
(edited 10 years ago)
I like Murray, because he's different. He doesn't act nice to everbody, so he's liked. He's not that typical happy guy that everyone always likes. He's just himself and he's never changed that.

That's why I like him and respect him.
Reply 27
I think he already is. But for me personally, I like henman way more than murray.

Have you really got nothing else to say though? Choosing to ignore the uncomfortable truth in my words about his constant swearing at the ball boys/girls?

He doesn't swear at ball boys/girls, he gets annoyed with himself when making mistakes (which everyone does in sport), and swears at himself, but he is facing the ball boy/girl because he asks for his towel or balls after each point.
Reply 29
I doubt he cares, he is more successful than Henman and that's the only important thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Tackla
I doubt he cares, he is more successful than Henman and that's the only important thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Henman was always a mediocre player, at least compared to world class talent like Pete Sampras. However he was way more popular with the British fans than Murray when he was playing.
Haha, take that you negative twits.
Reply 32
Original post by Wilfred Little
Haha, take that you negative twits.

Coming from a fan of the most dislikable person in tennis? :rolleyes:

Tim Henman is a great guy and a good tennis player. Anyone who disagrees is talking nonsense. Henman wasn't able to enjoy the continuation of matches like Murray, due to no roof on centre court and your ignorance is displayed quite clearly when you don't recognise what Henman had to put up with.
Reply 33
Original post by -aTOMic-
Coming from a fan of the most dislikable person in tennis? :rolleyes:

Tim Henman is a great guy and a good tennis player. Anyone who disagrees is talking nonsense. Henman wasn't able to enjoy the continuation of matches like Murray, due to no roof on centre court and your ignorance is displayed quite clearly when you don't recognise what Henman had to put up with.

That irony.
Reply 34
I think it's just a bit disrespectful to call Henman Hill Murray Mount, that's all.
Reply 35
Original post by Gillybop
No. Britain loves a nearly man, a valiant loser etc. But Murray's actually quite good at tennis and will no doubt win several grand slams throughout his career.

Tim Henman didn't even reach a grand slam final, he was absolutely rubbish at tennis.

and that's why he's liked.

slight exaggeration, but I guess you make a fair point :laugh:
Reply 36
Original post by 419
That irony.

Care to point it out?
I can't believe some of the words being used to describe Henman; 'rubbish' and 'mediocre'. I can't wait for the day when I'm the fourth best person in the world at what I do. Then, and only then, will I have the honour of having such lofty adjectives used to describe me. Oh, a man can dream.
Original post by Ultimate1
I hope not.

Watch yesterday's match on why Murray is such a mug. Disgusting tennis by hiim, pushing all the way through the match and just relying on fiasco to self destruct.

Fiasco would have won the match if he had even a little bit of net skill, Murray was pushng hard yesterday all what fiasco had to do was come to the net to finish off the points, but as it is with mugdasco he always seems to self destruct in commanding situations, tennis lost yesterday. It's also disgraceful that such defensive tennis can succeed on grass of all places.

Whenever Mugray wins tennis dies a little.

Hopefully Janowicz takes care of him like he did in Paris last year.

Murray will also never be popular due to his bpring persobality off court. Let's hope it remains this way. Henman was a good player and let's hope he's remembered as such.

What a pile of utter **** you talk, "he would of won it if he was better at this" Well he wasn't, end of. You play to win, not to show how polite and lovely you are. He didn't break any rules.

Anyway, amusing to see the locations of everyone defending Murray compared to everyone attacking. We're all so easily influenced by our locations it seems. :^_^:

So if we love him because he's scottish, you hate him because you're english? that's a bit pathetic. I don't hate anyone purely because they're english.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nope. Henman was the pinnacle of middle England, the guy is sacred.

Quick Reply

Latest