The Student Room Group

Has anyone taken a Mensa supervised IQ test?

Hi

I'm considering signing up to complete an IQ test in Birmingham in October but first wanted to ask people about their experience of taking the test.

The potential test content does not faze me much at all, but rather the experience of attending the actual session. Although I've been fine for a while, I do have residual problems such as social anxiety and "fidgettiness".

My question really is: What was the format of the session like? Particularly in terms of how stressful it could be.

Thanks
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
Hi

I'm considering signing up to complete an IQ test in Birmingham in October but first wanted to ask people about their experience of taking the test.

The potential test content does not faze me much at all, but rather the experience of attending the actual session. Although I've been fine for a while, I do have residual problems such as social anxiety and "fidgettiness".

My question really is: What was the format of the session like? Particularly in terms of how stressful it could be.

Thanks

If you suffer from exam anxiety it may be a useful practice at being in test conditions without the worry that the results will matter to your future. Are you looking to actually join mensa out of interest?
Original post by QuantumOverlord
If you suffer from exam anxiety it may be a useful practice at being in test conditions without the worry that the results will matter to your future. Are you looking to actually join mensa out of interest?

If it turned out to be possible, then I think joining mensa would be a great opportunity. Then again, I don't think I'd be devastated if I didn't score highly enough. I thought about doing it for the experience, and partly out of curiosity to see what my IQ really is like!

It never used to be exam anxiety for me, but the last set of exams I sat were pretty difficult in terms of getting up the courage to attend them in the first place, and then staying for the full time length and trying to avoid being distracted by the uncomfortable proximity of everybody else!

I kind of just want to do some little things to prove that I can break my own routine and do something interesting, if that makes sense :smile:
ALso, does it really take 2 and a half hours? Seems like a long time to me!
Reply 4
i took the Mensa IQ test when i was 10, and after recently sitting my first GCSE, i can safely say that my formal examinations were much more stressful and anxiety inducing.

Despite the conditions which you would be in for the test, everyone else in the room will feel similarly to you. And, at the end of the day, if you do qualify to become a member of mensa, then brilliant; well done, let me know. And if not, then does it really matter?

Good luck (:

edit: yes, to the best of my recollection, the test does take two and a half hours, although you may find yourself so engrossed in the questions, you will find time really does fly.
Reply 5
Hi

Thanks

You're going to fail, don't go.
Original post by Willbean
You're going to fail, don't go.

Aww, cheers, mate.

Think you missed my point a bit though, not only can you not 'fail', but I'm not as bothered about the score as I am about the experience!
Reply 7
Aww, cheers, mate.

Think you missed my point a bit though, not only can you not 'fail', but I'm not as bothered about the score as I am about the experience!

Only a small amount get in, what makes you think you're a genius?

And the experience of what? A deflated ego and the self discovery of not being as smart as you think you are?
I swear, although getting into Mensa means you're pretty clever, not getting in does not mean you can't be at least that clever as it is based on mathematical intelligence as opposed to scientific, literature, musical or any other kind. That's what I hear at least.
Original post by Willbean
Only a small amount get in, what makes you think you're a genius?

And the experience of what? A deflated ego and the self discovery of not being as smart as you think you are?

I never said that I think I'm a genius, because I don't.

And I refer to the experience of getting my butt out of the house and trying something different, the experience of a challenge!
Hi

Thanks

Hi, I sat the Mensa test at the Westminster Hotel in Chester. It was actually quite a fun experience, especially since all went to plan in the end (I passed). I was a little nervous for the first test and was surprised by how fast we were expected to answer the questions, so I only got top 3% for that. For the second test, which I preferred, I managed to get into the top 2%, which is what you need to pass, so Mensa asked me to join (I didn't, I just wanted to take a credible IQ test to gain some confidence back about myself, as it was a pretty rough time for me). Most people only pass one of the two tests (though I think most who pass one could pass the other if they went back and did it again, I think I probably could anyway...) so don't worry if you mess up on the first, because the second may be more your kind of thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tom_green_day
I swear, although getting into Mensa means you're pretty clever, not getting in does not mean you can't be at least that clever as it is based on mathematical intelligence as opposed to scientific, literature, musical or any other kind. That's what I hear at least.

No that's not true, there's not much maths to it at all, and there's plenty of things to do with vocabulary, which has nothing whatsoever to do with "mathematical intelligence". It's true it doesn't test music/literature, but it wouldn't make sense if it did as it's supposed to accessible to everyone, regardless of their educational background. It tests mental agility, and there is a strong correlation between that and doing well academically, no matter what your preferred subject is.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've booked it.
No, but my father passed and was able to join.
I've booked it.

What was your IQ?
I took the test. It was mental.

Quick Reply

Latest