The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like this resolution, it will probably force me to be more active and productive :tongue: However, it may allow relatively inexperienced members to become reps of SC seats which to me seems unfair, I know you said Cheese that members shouldn't have to be members for a long time but I do believe that a certain amount of time should be spent here before being allowed to contest an SC seat, perhaps 3 months?

Original post by Republic1
I like the sound of this bill a lot. I'm going to put something out there and see what response it gets.

If we are switching who has seats on the SC then I see no reason why we should bother actually switching which countries we represent. It is easier to switch which countries are on the SC. This may seem radical but if we are reforming the SC then we might as well go all the way and change the old fashioned system of the 6 powerful countries deciding on security matters.

People probably enjoy representing their country and don't, for example, want to go from being UK rep to being rep for Federated States of Micronesia or something like that. The whole idea of permanent members is old fashioned.

I suggest a re-write of the resolution to something along the lines of a biannual (or Triannual) election of 6 non-permanent members.

The Security Council was designed to keep international peace and security because the countries in it hold the most sway in their military, nuclear capabilities and weaponry. It may be old fashioned but it works, China, Russia, UK, France, USA and India are all world superpowers and should be represented as such. It wouldn't make any sense for a country such as Zimbabwe to hold a seat on the Security Council, in my opinion.
Reply 21
Aye.
Reply 22
Original post by thunder_chunky
As for the terms for non-permanent members, I agree with that too since some of the non-perm countries can get a big stagnant as well. However I can see in there when the non-perm elections are to take place. Did you state which month and have I just missed it?

Non-permanent elections aren't changed by this. I think they're already on a six monthly cycle anyway?

Can you explain 4b,c, and D a bit clearer to me please?

Yes, haha. I was surprised it took this long for someone to realise how convoluted it sounds :tongue:.

The basic premise is that when an SC rep loses their seat, they swap places with the person they lost it to. For example, if you beat me in the next election, I would become Argentina, and you would be China. That's 4.a.

4.b. is exactly the same as 4.a., except it makes allowance for dual representation. Say you repped Fiji as well as Argentina; 4.b. says that if you beat me, you take China and I take one of Fiji or Argentina (that decision is up to you).

4.c. and 4.d. are for situations where both the defendant and contender are already in the SC. Say, if I was trying to get Russia from cl_steele in the next election, I would lose my seat as China rep, regardless as to whether or not I get Russia, but I could keep the IAEA.

As for the layout of the election as mentioned and described in point 5, it looks like a good plan. My first thought was to also include details of limits about the manifestos but I suppose that could always be down to the discretion of the SG.
About 5c, I think 7 days for voting is too long. I think it ought to be 5 days. If the SG sends reminders every day or every other day including two reminders on the last day then I think we will get all the votes we'll get in those 5 days. After 5 or 6 days the votes may cool off and we'll just be hanging around waiting for the poll to close so I think it should be 5 days.

I thought since these are fairly important elections it would be a good idea to give people a little extra time. I'm happing to change this if a bunch of people think it would be better as 5 days of voting, though.

Regarding 6a, so am I right in thinking that if the rep for Congo won the election for the Rep for the UK then they would stop being Congo rep and the outgoing UK rep would become the Congo rep? If so, what if the Congo rep wanted to dual rep? Surely then it's the outgoing rep's problem to find themselves a new role?

Yes, that's right. So, in accordance with 4.b., the Congo/Fiji (for argument's sake) rep will have to decide which of the two he wants to give up, and the outgoing UK rep would take up that seat.

Regarding 6b, doesn't that contradict 7a? Also I don't like the idea of a SC rep winning another SC seat, changing from one to the other. I think that if a SC rep wants to run for another SC seat they should resign and enter the election as an outside candidate. I really don't like the idea of SC reps swapping from one role to another.

Maybe I should add "without prejudice to the aforementioned points" to the end of 7.a...

Well, the process for an SC rep swapping seats in this method effectively means they resign their current position simply by running for a seat swap (since they must give up their current seat regardless in accordance with 4.d.).

And lastly, in regards to 7b, I think I understand why you would want new MUN members to wait until after the election to dual rep. I assume that's to allow everyone to find their place.

Yep, pretty much :smile:
Reply 23
I like the sound of this bill a lot. I'm going to put something out there and see what response it gets.

If we are switching who has seats on the SC then I see no reason why we should bother actually switching which countries we represent. It is easier to switch which countries are on the SC. This may seem radical but if we are reforming the SC then we might as well go all the way and change the old fashioned system of the 6 powerful countries deciding on security matters.

People probably enjoy representing their country and don't, for example, want to go from being UK rep to being rep for Federated States of Micronesia or something like that. The whole idea of permanent members is old fashioned.

I suggest a re-write of the resolution to something along the lines of a biannual (or Triannual) election of 6 non-permanent members.

I personally think it's important to maintain the permanent member structure for as long as the permanent members retain the ability to blow each other, and the rest of the world, to hell and back. It's very important that they're forced to talk to each other like this, imo.
Reply 24
Original post by Superunknown17
I like this resolution, it will probably force me to be more active and productive :tongue: However, it may allow relatively inexperienced members to become reps of SC seats which to me seems unfair, I know you said Cheese that members shouldn't have to be members for a long time but I do believe that a certain amount of time should be spent here before being allowed to contest an SC seat, perhaps 3 months?

Well, I think that if it's very obvious that a member is really inexperienced then they won't get any votes. On the other hand, if a new member has brilliant ideas, and has been active in the MUN for whatever little time they've been here, then I don't see why they should get it.

If the GA *really* wants to get rid of a rep mid-term then a VoNC resolution can be passed anyway, calling for a by-election.
Reply 25
If I'm reading this proposal correctly it would mean those that hold seats and are active would have to re-run every time an election comes around and face the possibility of losing their seat due to a personal grudge perhaps unless of course they've actually done nothing in which case I'm sure they'd have been removed sooner.

Personally I'm/the UAE* against this, it doesn't bring any real benefit as far as I can tell :smile:

*Not sure whether this is in character or not.
Reply 26
It seems what I would like to see is too radical but I'll still vote yes on this resolution.

However, is it fair to force people to swap seats instead of allowing the outgoing rep to choose an empty seat? (at least whilst there are still lots of empty seats)
It seems what I would like to see is too radical but I'll still vote yes on this resolution.

However, is it fair to force people to swap seats instead of allowing the outgoing rep to choose an empty seat? (at least whilst there are still lots of empty seats)

Glad to have your support. It's a fail safe to ensure the outgoing SC member isn't without a nation to represent. They can obviously resign the seat and apply for another if they wish.
I like the general outset of this proposal. My only real qualms are potential voter fatigue because of the frequency of the elections and possibly new people strolling into SC positions too soon. Perhaps we could allow the newer people in the GA to runs after around six months or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PierceBrosnan
I like the general outset of this proposal. My only real qualms are potential voter fatigue because of the frequency of the elections and possibly new people strolling into SC positions too soon. Perhaps we could allow the newer people in the GA to runs after around six months or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with both of these points, I've already brought up the second but with the first, this is a fair point, should the elections be staggered, like have 2 in the first two months, then another 2, two months later etc?
I agree with PB. I'll discuss those changes with Qwertish.
Reply 31
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Glad to have your support. It's a fail safe to ensure the outgoing SC member isn't without a nation to represent. They can obviously resign the seat and apply for another if they wish.

Makes sense I guess. I'm a safe yes vote but as a new member I think PB's suggestions of a waiting period for newbies and staggered elections are a good idea to add as an amendment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Makes sense I guess. I'm a safe yes vote but as a new member I think PB's suggestions of a waiting period for newbies and staggered elections are a good idea to add as an amendment.

I like to hear the suggestions of newer members, often provide fresher insights :smile: but yeah, I've messaged the other proposer of this resolution asking for his opinion on PB' recommendations so rest assured we are listening.
Reply 33
Original post by Losho
If I'm reading this proposal correctly it would mean those that hold seats and are active would have to re-run every time an election comes around and face the possibility of losing their seat due to a personal grudge perhaps unless of course they've actually done nothing in which case I'm sure they'd have been removed sooner.

Personally I'm/the UAE* against this, it doesn't bring any real benefit as far as I can tell :smile:

*Not sure whether this is in character or not.

Well, unless voter turnout is shockingly low I don't think that's a problem. The current situation doesn't give anyone an opportunity to be a permanent SC rep unless one of the current reps steps down or is kicked out. This way, every so often (maybe six months is too short, I'm discussing that with C_M), they have to renew their mandate and show that they are the best person to do that particular job in the MUN.

It's OOC :smile:
Reply 34

It's essentially to prevent an outgoing rep from being left with no seat (in the event that there are no empty seats in the MUN... maybe someday haha). They can do a swap in the normal way straight after elections.
Original post by Superunknown17
I agree with both of these points, I've already brought up the second but with the first, this is a fair point, should the elections be staggered, like have 2 in the first two months, then another 2, two months later etc?

Glad you agree but yeah, definitely a balance of election frequency and newbies needs to be sorted out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Glad you agree but yeah, definitely a balance of election frequency and newbies needs to be sorted out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you feel about yearly elections? I'm a bit unsure about staggering them, because that would massively prolong the uncertainty in the Council. It's important to make sure that the reps have time to work together and get some resolutions out, which can't happen if the rep keeps changing every couple of months.

As for newbies, I'm fairly confident that the system of elections and voting will weed out inexperienced people (as the recent elections have shown). If someone's too new, hasn't been around very long, then people won't vote for them.
Original post by Qwertish
How do you feel about yearly elections? I'm a bit unsure about staggering them, because that would massively prolong the uncertainty in the Council. It's important to make sure that the reps have time to work together and get some resolutions out, which can't happen if the rep keeps changing every couple of months.

As for newbies, I'm fairly confident that the system of elections and voting will weed out inexperienced people (as the recent elections have shown). If someone's too new, hasn't been around very long, then people won't vote for them.

Yearly, may be a good idea, but perhaps every 4-6 months may be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Yearly, may be a good idea, but perhaps every 4-6 months may be better

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the resolution stands, it's six monthly.
Original post by Qwertish
As the resolution stands, it's six monthly.

Even better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending