The Student Room Group

Tired of being a muslim

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MENDACIUM
I would class myself as a science loving person, having done all science A-Levels and going into medicine, in addition to reading up a lot on science and really investigating the Holy Quran. I just need to ask you one question to see if you have done research -so i know where to gear the discussion.

Could you kindly tell me why muslims believe the Qurans Arabic is miraculous ?

.. Not sure if you and OP are quite on the same wavelength.. If I get her drift she doesn't believe in the things you do..
Original post by The Angry Stoic
It all depends on what your priorities are I guess.

She'll still have to deal with the problem of her parents wanting to be a Muslim once she's left the home. Will she lie forever?

This is the thing that worries me. Yes i can leave home for uni but what happens when i finish my degree? my parents will probably want me to get married to a 'nice muslim man' and there's no way that's happening especially as i don't want to get married in the first place. So I will have to tell them eventually but i really don't want to as it'll probably mean i get disowned. And as annoying as they can be i still love my parents.
Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
Thank you so much for replying, i've never spoken to an ex Muslim before (in real life or on the internet) so i'll probably be bugging you with lots of questions. First, do you live with your parents or do you have your own place? And does anyone in real life know and how did they react? I've thought about telling a friend before but I always chicken out in the end.

I live with my parents currently, I'll be moving to Canada a little while after Ramadan for university. Nah, even though they aren't the most religious, they are the type of Muslims that would get pretty angry at me being a ex-Muslim. And I can't tell my non-Muslim friends because they know my Muslim friends so don't want to risk anything.
Reply 43
I don't really like the idea of being drunk but i really want to try some alcohol, I probably wouldn't even enjoy it but atleast i'd get to say i'd tried it.

And yes I know i shouldnt feel guilty but the thing is, islam was what my life was based around. Sounds a bit over the top but i've learnt the quran off by heart (i spent 6 years doing it and sacrificed a lot of my childhood) and the year before last i read the Quran 10 times in the space of 10 days. That took dedication and now i feel like it's all gone 'down the drain' in a sense.

Yes, I know the feeling, it was the same for me. Although I didn't learn the Qur'an off by heart or sacrifice as much time as you seem to have done, I believe I do know what you're feeling. It's difficult when your entire world view is shattered, and things you spent a long time believing in with all your heart isn't true to you anymore. But it seems like you've made the right decision for yourself, and that's all that ultimately counts.

I can't tell you if and when you should break it to your parents, but I'd say you should ride this until you get to uni where you should get more freedom away from your house and think about things really clearly.
This is the thing that worries me. Yes i can leave home for uni but what happens when i finish my degree? my parents will probably want me to get married to a 'nice muslim man' and there's no way that's happening especially as i don't want to get married in the first place. So I will have to tell them eventually but i really don't want to as it'll probably mean i get disowned. And as annoying as they can be i still love my parents.

If they disown you they are bad people and you are better off without them.

If you go along with it and marry a Muslim man they like will you then force your child to do the same as your parents forced you? That's what your parents will want.

You have to draw a line.
Original post by SaFa1237
I'd appreciate it if you changed that to some Muslims. I'm a Muslim and to put it bluntly, I really couldn't care less if someone was an ex Muslim. No one should be forced to follow a religion they don't want to and those people that would treat you like crap are *******s.
Also it's a really tough situation you're in right now and I'm sorry there isn't much I can do along the lines of giving advice.
If I was in your situation, I'd stick out the final year and then leave as to not create problems. However have you ever thought of telling your parents? How religious are they? I suspect you already now how they would react.

oops sorry, i don't how to change that. But yes you're right. Not all Muslims are like that. I seriously wish more Muslims were like you then maybe it wouldn't be so hard to be an ex Muslim. I've thought about telling my parents but honestly i know them well, i know they wouldn't react well so im just gonna wait it out.
If they disown you they are bad people and you are better off without them.

If you go along with it and marry a Muslim man they like will you then force your child to do the same as your parents forced you? That's what your parents will want.

You have to draw a line.

i know i have to draw a line, when the time comes there is no way im going to get married to a muslim man but its just im a coward :frown: I never have the balls to say anything when it needs to be said.
i know i have to draw a line, when the time comes there is no way im going to get married to a muslim man but its just im a coward :frown: I never have the balls to say anything when it needs to be said.

Be brave. You have right on your side :console:
There's not really something specific I could point out but on a whole the 'miracles' in the Quran are just so far fetched. I mean, the prophet flew to the moon on a horse (I think it was a horse anyway) and split it with his bare hands? Yeah.. I don't think so. Also the whole idea of this God needing us to pray 5 times a day just sounds so egotistical. Surely if he's all knowing he knows his people love him so doesn't need validation by people praying (without actually understanding what they're saying most of the time).

I've never really fit in to the stereotype of a 'good Muslim girl' and i'm always ending up in arguments with fellow Muslim peers at school because i always question them and then when they can't find the answers they just get pissed off. When I actually used to believe in God I used to tell my parents that I hate the idea of marriage and kids and they used to get pissed off because as a woman apparently its sunnah (the prophet did it so should you basically).

ugh, I just get so frustrated when I have to pretend to be someone i'm not, I just want to talk to someone about it and I know that if I was to ever say this out loud to someone a **** storm would happen :angry:

Yeah, that is really difficult. Is there anyone in your family that you could talk to i.e. brother, sister, even a close friend that wouldn't have a fit at the idea? Maybe if you introduce that you're questioning some of the apparent events that happened, or stories in a subtle way. There must be someone you can talk to about it?

In my eyes a God wouldn't want his people to feel like they can't be who they are.
Reply 49
oops sorry, i don't how to change that. But yes you're right. Not all Muslims are like that. I seriously wish more Muslims were like you then maybe it wouldn't be so hard to be an ex Muslim. I've thought about telling my parents but honestly i know them well, i know they wouldn't react well so im just gonna wait it out.

I take it they are very religious?
I honestly think a child's happiness is more important than religion. (I'm on the highway to hell. :cool:)
I don't want to judge your parents but they should really look at what is best for you.
You said previously that you're of Pakistani decent. Do you think that the only reason your parents might care so much about you being an atheist is because they care too much on what the rest of the 'community' is going to say?
Reply 50
I'd just like to apologize in advance for spelling mistakes/grammar/punctuation problems.

I guess I should start off with that I’m a 17yr old ‘Muslim’ girl but I don’t believe in God. It was only really recently I started to question my beliefs but after lots of research I’ve come to the conclusion that science and Islam are just not compatible (as a Muslim you’re told that they are, blah blah blah the Quran predicted this years before so and so proves it and all that bull).

So the problem is that it’s close to Ramadan (less than a week I believe) and this is going to be my first year ‘celebrating’ Ramadan as an atheist and I don’t know how I’m going to survive. The problem isn’t going to be the actual fasting itself, no; the problem is going to be that I’m going to be expected to pray so fricking much (tarawee anyone?) and the fact that I’m going to have to put up with a **** load of Muslims going all holier than thou on me and I just don’t know how to stop myself from punching them in the face :angry:
My parents are already on my case telling me to read my prayers and the Quran and for the past year my excuse has been that I’ve come late from school/ I have an exam tomorrow/lots of homework to do etc but now exams are over I don’t have an excuse for coming home late from school and not reading.

Not an easy situation I guess. But many people have a bit of inner conflict and love/hate with parents. Perhaps they will ease up as you go your own way. I have a muslin colleague who struggles a bit with the religion and has gone her own way, going to uni, avoiding potential arranged marriages, dating descretely and still can love and get on with her more traditional family. Hope Ramadan isn't too stressful - the fasting side of it quite appeals to me.. Good luck.
Reply 51
Asthagfurallah!! I hope you see sense soon and realize what a beautiful religion Islam is.
Be brave. You have right on your side :console:

thank you :h:
Original post by Zarek
Not an easy situation I guess. But many people have a bit of inner conflict and love/hate with parents. Perhaps they will ease up as you go your own way. I have a muslin colleague who struggles a bit with the religion and has gone her own way, going to uni, avoiding potential arranged marriages, dating descretely and still can love and get on with her more traditional family. Hope Ramadan isn't too stressful - the fasting side of it quite appeals to me.. Good luck.

I actually quite like the fasting, it's the praying i have a problem with but i'll just have to suck it up and deal with it i guess. i'm hoping that once i go to uni and my parents will slowly start getting used to the idea of me not being religious. Also Ramadan is always stressful (whether you're a believer or not) but thank you :h:
Original post by Sum786
Asthagfurallah!! I hope you see sense soon and realize what a beautiful religion Islam is.

Hello there sum786, I sincerely hope that you see sense soon and realize what a beautiful world science is.
Original post by SaFa1237
I take it they are very religious?
I honestly think a child's happiness is more important than religion. (I'm on the highway to hell. :cool:)
I don't want to judge your parents but they should really look at what is best for you.
You said previously that you're of Pakistani decent. Do you think that the only reason your parents might care so much about you being an atheist is because they care too much on what the rest of the 'community' is going to say?

yeah, not only because of the shame i would bring as an atheist but also many people have said to my dad that he shouldn't let his daughters be 'too educated' because then they'll never come back to you or some bull like that. So when i tell them about my atheism then they'll automatically blame my dad for basically letting us have an education pass the compulsory stuff. it's all so ****ing stupid.
Original post by tssf_skye
Yeah, that is really difficult. Is there anyone in your family that you could talk to i.e. brother, sister, even a close friend that wouldn't have a fit at the idea? Maybe if you introduce that you're questioning some of the apparent events that happened, or stories in a subtle way. There must be someone you can talk to about it?

In my eyes a God wouldn't want his people to feel like they can't be who they are.

I'm not very close to anyone in my family and i remember once about 2 months ago i mentioned to my best friend something i didn't agree with in Islam and she basically went ape ****. So if my best friend cant handle me asking a few questions i don't really think she'd be a good person to talk to.
Reply 57
Hello there sum786, I sincerely hope that you see sense soon and realize what a beautiful world science is.

What makes you think she doesn't realise this? There are Muslim scientists out there if you didn't know.
Reply 58
yeah, not only because of the shame i would bring as an atheist but also many people have said to my dad that he shouldn't let his daughters be 'too educated' because then they'll never come back to you or some bull like that. So when i tell them about my atheism then they'll automatically blame my dad for basically letting us have an education pass the compulsory stuff. it's all so ****ing stupid.

Seeking education is a major part of Islam. I can't stand people like that!
I'm seriously thinking WTF right now!
Do you know what's really funny? Most of the people that say this have daughters who are right sl*gs and sons who think they are 'badmanz'. :angry:
Original post by popo23
What makes you think she doesn't realise this? There are Muslim scientists out there if you didn't know.

I realize this yes, I was just doing it because she came on the thread and said something that honestly isn't valid and i did the same back. Jeez, i wasn't serious :s-smilie: I know that many people believe in Islam and agree with science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending